Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
murphs
CF Newbie

Selling vs. Rebuilt

I have a 1981 Mercedes 380SL with 152,000 miles that will not pass the California smog test. My mechanic says repairs are out of the question. He recommends cutting my losses and buying another car. He says replacing the engine with a rebuilt would be way too pricey considering the age and value of the car. However, if I get another 380 in good condition I'm gonna spend $10,000-12,000. The rest of the car is in excellent shape.

What do you think?
murphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphs
I have a 1981 Mercedes 380SL with 152,000 miles that will not pass the California smog test. My mechanic says repairs are out of the question. He recommends cutting my losses and buying another car. He says replacing the engine with a rebuilt would be way too pricey considering the age and value of the car. However, if I get another 380 in good condition I'm gonna spend $10,000-12,000. The rest of the car is in excellent shape.

What do you think?
Knowing nothing other than what you state in your post, I can tell you that your first step should be to find a new mechanic. Maybe the prospect of having to actually diagnose and repair something instead of just replacing parts is intimidating to him. There are lots of meatheads out there that make us all look like Goober on the Andy Griffith Show.

I have no idea what the problem with your engine is that makes repairing it "out of the question", but I can tell you from experience that anything can be repaired if you have the knowledge and skill and that parts are readily available for this car. Your car is certainly a nice ride if not collectable and is well worth repairing. Even if you had to drop in a complete low mileage used engine, you would be out the door for $5k or so, parts and labor. Rebuilding the engine would cost more for labor, less for parts, but probably be about the same total. If the car is just transportation it may not be worth it, but it seems as though you like the car and want to keep it.

I say spend the time and money to get a second and third opinion. Then avoid the first guy like the plague.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Nickboxer7
CF Enthusiast

Yeah, I would agree with VW. If anything, call around to some other mechanics and ask them how much to find and put in a new engine. I know some places can be WAY too expensive.

BTW, I have no idea about the smog test, because I live in Missouri with no tests. But, could it be the exhaust causing it to not pass and not the engine? I mean, if you have a bad catalytic converter couldnt that pass too much pollution out the pipes? Just my thoughts. The Smog test might not even be what I think it is

Last edited by Nickboxer7 : 02-22-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Nickboxer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickboxer7
Yeah, I would agree with VW. If anything, call around to some other mechanics and ask them how much to find and put in a new engine. I know some places can be WAY too expensive.

BTW, I have no idea about the smog test, because I live in Missouri with no tests. But, could it be the exhaust causing it to not pass and not the engine? I mean, if you have a bad catalytic converter couldnt that pass too much pollution out the pipes? Just my thoughts. The Smog test might not even be what I think it is
You could have just typed the words "I have no idea " and left it at that. Or better yet, not typed anything at all. I'm sure you think you're being smart and helpful but your current MO of giving "advice" and then qualifying it with "I don't know" or "I'm not sure" is not helpful in any way. It also makes you look like an idiot. Do us and yourself a favor, please stop and desist now.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 02-27-2007, 05:39 AM   #5
Nickboxer7
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
You could have just typed the words "I have no idea " and left it at that. Or better yet, not typed anything at all. I'm sure you think you're being smart and helpful but your current MO of giving "advice" and then qualifying it with "I don't know" or "I'm not sure" is not helpful in any way. It also makes you look like an idiot. Do us and yourself a favor, please stop and desist now.

Um, apparently you can't read very well. I agreed with you, and gave him some advice. And then I put IDK with the second part, about the smog tests. I was trying to be helpful, WHICH IN NO WAY makes me seem like an idiot. I'm sure he would like more than just your thoughts on it, b/c if I hadn't posted that's probably all he would've gotten. I'm sure you think you are being smart by diminishing the advice of anyone else, but you are not. You look like more of an idiot if anything. If you would've just left it with your first post, you would've looked fine.
Nickboxer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickboxer7
Um, apparently you can't read very well. I agreed with you, and gave him some advice. And then I put IDK with the second part, about the smog tests. I was trying to be helpful, WHICH IN NO WAY makes me seem like an idiot. I'm sure he would like more than just your thoughts on it, b/c if I hadn't posted that's probably all he would've gotten. I'm sure you think you are being smart by diminishing the advice of anyone else, but you are not. You look like more of an idiot if anything. If you would've just left it with your first post, you would've looked fine.
No, apparently you can't read very well... or maybe you're just to stupid to grasp it. You look like an idiot because you piped in with your comments that were preceded by a disclaimer that you really don't know the subject your speaking of. In six or eight threads the same day as I recall. Agreeing or disagreeing with me has nothing to do with your lack of knowledge. The concept is very simple. If you don't have pertinent information, STFU.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:10 AM   #7
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphs

What do you think?

I have been dying to try out some Xado.... have you considerd it for your engine? I know it costs some money, but it's an expense I'm prepared for you to take.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 AM   #8
talon699
CF Newbie

The a$$hole speaks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
No, apparently you can't read very well... or maybe you're just to stupid to grasp it. You look like an idiot because you piped in with your comments that were preceded by a disclaimer that you really don't know the subject your speaking of. In six or eight threads the same day as I recall. Agreeing or disagreeing with me has nothing to do with your lack of knowledge. The concept is very simple. If you don't have pertinent information, STFU.

Why can`t you just offer your advice and leave other peoples answers alone?
You seem to take great pride in harping on other posts that don`t follow your "all knowing" advice. Follow your own advice and STFU!!!!. why don`t you take one of your kraut crap buggies and put it in your anal orifice, you pompus bag of wind.
talon699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon699
You seem to take great pride in harping on other posts that don`t follow your "all knowing" advice. Follow your own advice and STFU!!!!. why don`t you take one of your kraut crap buggies and put it in your anal orifice, you pompus bag of wind.
Pot, kettle, black, douche bag. And your post above answered the man's question or enhanced this thread in what way? Oh yeah, that's right, it didn't. You are on the top of the list of people who need to STFU little fella. Go away and crawl back under your rock until you have something worthwhile to add to this forum... Which means we'll never see you again.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:52 AM   #10
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:

Nickboxxer didn't give adivce, he made some guesses and then admitted he had no clue. He shouldn't have posted in the first place. Only post have you have something to contribute.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:23 AM   #11
talon699
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Nickboxxer didn't give adivce, he made some guesses and then admitted he had no clue. He shouldn't have posted in the first place. Only post have you have something to contribute.
Yes I noticed that hobo only posts positive comments too. Note #4 &7 I suppose a little smack to his EGO is too much. He likes to fault other people for their comments at least once on every post his oriface has a chance to. Must be getting crusty in his old age, seeing as he knows it all.

Last edited by talon699 : 03-01-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:57 AM   #12
talon699
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Just a note Mathew
Re VW HOBO. 01-30-2007 6:16 pm RE: spilled soda on shifter from Predator CITF01-08-2007 That big A$$ know it all had nothing to offer the person other than what comes out of his anal oriface , Sorry his mouth (same thing) on that post. He takes great pride in making every one look like a piece of $hit. yet HIS A$$HOLINESS seems to think he is the god everyone should look up to. I have watched this forum for a few years before joining and did respect vw`s answers as very close to being accurate as could be. What Pisses me off is his I know it all attitude, and you don`t know shit. Many times I refused to post a response because his comments were derogatory to everyone. It seems to me that this fellow has very very low self esteem. Like I said in my very first post in response to a comment made by his knob. If you just say what you have to , and do not belittle the other`s out there, at least you may be respected . As for those that offer advice. I have to agree with hobo. If you are not sure or don`t know what the ^&%$ you are talking about ,STFU!!!!!!!!!!. I have not contradicted ( look it up hobo ) anything he has ever said. I mearly got upset with the fact that he belittles people. If people can`t spell properly is no reason to call them idiots. Just because He likes something that looks like a pimple does not him a bad person. By the way hobo, I only have 19 years as a class "A" Technician and 12 years in Heavy equipment. Yet I do not have all the experience that you have . I just know when to keep my mouth shut. Sorry hobo if my grammer is not up to your expectations. KMRRA. I think you can figure it out. If not[ my rosy red]

By the way a flat 4 air cooled,carbed motor,followed by rubber suspension is not High tech!

Last edited by talon699 : 03-05-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #13
Wally
I Know More Than You

I guess you just had to get that off your chest.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #14
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Just a note Mathew
Re VW HOBO. 01-30-2007 6:16 pm RE: spilled soda on shifter from Predator CITF01-08-2007 That big A$$ know it all had nothing to offer the person other than what comes out of his anal oriface , Sorry his mouth (same thing) on that post. He takes great pride in making every one look like a piece of $hit. yet HIS A$$HOLINESS seems to think he is the god everyone should look up to. I have watched this forum for a few years before joining and did respect vw`s answers as very close to being accurate as could be. What Pisses me off is his I know it all attitude, and you don`t know shit. Many times I refused to post a response because his comments were derogatory to everyone. It seems to me that this fellow has very very low self esteem. Like I said in my very first post in response to a comment made by his knob. If you just say what you have to , and do not belittle the other`s out there, at least you may be respected . As for those that offer advice. I have to agree with hobo. If you are not sure or don`t know what the ^&%$ you are talking about ,STFU!!!!!!!!!!. I have not contradicted ( look it up hobo ) anything he has ever said. I mearly got upset with the fact that he belittles people. If people can`t spell properly is no reason to call them idiots. Just because He likes something that looks like a pimple does not him a bad person. By the way hobo, I only have 19 years as a class "A" Technician and 12 years in Heavy equipment. Yet I do not have all the experience that you have . I just know when to keep my mouth shut. Sorry hobo if my grammer is not up to your expectations. KMRRA. I think you can figure it out. If not[ my rosy red]

By the way a flat 4 air cooled carbed moter followed by rubber suspension is not High tech!

What does that have to do with me?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:16 AM   #15
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

New engine. Those cars are FAR too cool to let die like that.

Last edited by SlipKnoT : 03-06-2007 at 06:20 AM.
SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote