Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
paulrcummings
CF Newbie

LeSabre front wheel brg install help

Hi folks, I am new to this forum and I own a 96 Buick Lesabre. I am told that it needs a front wheel bearing. Can I do this myself? The dealer wants over 500.00 to do the job. Is it a straight forward install or are there special tools procedures to do this?
Can you help with letting me know the procedure or is there a writeup somewhere?
Thanks

paul
paulrcummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:37 AM   #2
TexTruck
CF Newbie

Quote:
Hi folks, I am new to this forum and I own a 96 Buick Lesabre. I am told that it needs a front wheel bearing. Can I do this myself? The dealer wants over 500.00 to do the job. Is it a straight forward install or are there special tools procedures to do this?
Can you help with letting me know the procedure or is there a writeup somewhere?
Thanks

A bearing job is pretty easy. Pick up a haynes manual on your car for a guide. You also will want a bearing puller. You might not need it but it'll be nice to have if you do need it. Also keep in mind that you may have to dis connect a tie-rod or similar part to get at the bolts holding your bearing on. I did. But you may not too. Also as a beginner you'll wanna know that you need to remove your brake calipers and your rotors to remove your bearings. I'm a novice myself and will likely get reminded by others who may respond but there's enough info there to get you going!
TexTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrcummings
Thanks

paul
1. Yes you can do this yourself... If you have the appropriate service manual, some basic tools and average mechanical ability.

2. Yes it is a straightforward job. I can do them in about 20 minutes, it would probably take you about three hours if the above requirements are met.

3. 500 bones is an exorbitant amount for this job. Leave the dealer and go to an independent repair shop that employs ASE certified technicians. You'll get better service and pay about half.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:02 AM   #4
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
i can do them in 19 that includes 2 gulps of coffee, and washing my hands. just ribbin ya hobo