Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
CaR_DumBaSs
CF Newbie

1998 Bmw 750il

Hey, i just found a 98 BMW and i had a few questions. Do you think it would be difficult to find parts for an old foriegn car such as this beamer? This car also has a v12 engine so what will that do for my gas mileage? I was also wondering if i were to do some upgrading on this car if it would lower the value in the long run. Someone told me that it would defeat the purpose of getting this classic rare car.
CaR_DumBaSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I have heard some rumours that the engine longevity isn't all that great, but that is only speculation as far as I can make out. Obviously repairs are going to be rather costly if you take it to a Garage for repairs and maintenence, but that's what is to be expected. Parts shouldn't be overly hard to come by. BavarianWheels knows about this subject, as he's a BMW man...

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Whats the mileage on it?

We get a few of those in, the bill is always massive. I wouldn't recommend one unless you make good money (and don't mind spending it)
Old 02-24-2007, 03:59 AM   #4
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I have heard some rumours that the engine longevity isn't all that great, but that is only speculation as far as I can make out. Obviously repairs are going to be rather costly if you take it to a Garage for repairs and maintenence, but that's what is to be expected. Parts shouldn't be overly hard to come by. BavarianWheels knows about this subject, as he's a BMW man...

*cough* *cough* guy who works at a BMW dealership on BMWs here...
Old 02-25-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
*cough* *cough* guy who works at a BMW dealership on BMWs here...
Sorry old chap, lol. I did remember you after I logged off....I have the tendency to remember stuff after I log off....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 02-25-2007, 02:56 AM   #6
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Is the 4 litre really a V12 I though the V12 from that era were 5 litres. Probably wrong though.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:00 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Is the 4 litre really a V12 I though the V12 from that era were 5 litres. Probably wrong though.
Who said anything about it being a 4-litre? It is a 750i afterall

Old 02-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

These are great cars, if you maintain it well you shouldn't have any problems. Go to a local BMW dealer and get the service history of the car, you will need the last 7 digits of the vin, Ask them if there are any open campaigns on the vehicle as well.

This should all be free.

You can also have the dealership do a 40 point inspection on the car before you buy it to get an idea of what kind of shape this is in, you'll have to pay about an hour of labor.

then just make sure that you don't beaton the car, give it regular maintenance and it shoul run like a dream.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Parts are still easy to come by and many are quite inexpensive (I just bought a new factory radiator for my '98 740iL for $145 shipped). Unfortunately, as the mileage goes up more and more parts are needed vs say, a Toyota or Honda. But it's worth it. I love mine.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Parts are still easy to come by and many are quite inexpensive (I just bought a new factory radiator for my '98 740iL for $145 shipped). Unfortunately, as the mileage goes up more and more parts are needed vs say, a Toyota or Honda. But it's worth it. I love mine.
Damn Chris, I always thought you were smarter than that. You DID NOT get a BMW factory radiator for your car for $145. What you got, and I can with 99% certainty even tell you where you got it, is a radiator that fits your car made by the OE manufacturer, Behr part #040711 or BMW part #17111436063. There is difference, sometimes a world of difference, between a part "manufactured by the OE manufacturer" and an OE part. I'm not saying it's junk, I'm not saying it's made in China, I'm only pointing out the fact that OE man and factory at that price point are two different things.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:22 PM   #11
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

As long as it works good on 'em for finding a deal.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
As long as it works good on 'em for finding a deal.
Spoken like a true dimwit. Parts are installed on cars every day that "work", but are not up to the quality standards of the manufacturer. As I recall, your Bimmer got in a wreck or maybe the engine blew up not too long ago. Would you be happy if the shop that repaired it used second rate parts made in China to save a buck instead of the real deal? If not why not... I mean as "long as it works", you should be happy, right?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:31 AM   #13
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

as long as it meets or exceeds oem specifications, it should be fine. I just replaced the timing belt and water pump on my car. I was thinking of buying Goodyear or Greddy parts that met or exceded oem specifications, but decided to stick to honda parts.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Behr is the OEM manufacturer, and this was bought through BMW. Actually BMW reduced the price on the radiators about 2 years ago. Had I been a BMW club member, it would have been $120 at the dealer. I hadn't joined yet (dummy me for not doing it when I first bought the car) so I didn't get the discount. If it's not the original radiator, then it's what the factory/OEM replaced the problematic originals with... Thus is still counts.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote