Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
Goeddel
CF Newbie

Advice please.

hi. im getting ready to turn 16 and looking for a car. i have been looking around at esclipses an talons 2nd gen. im leaning more towards the talons. i found one on auto trader ( http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=209220869&dealer_id=58439573&car_ye ar=1997&model=TALON&num_records=25&make2=&start_ye ar=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certifie d=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=75& make=EAGLE&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=p riceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=price DESC&address=62298&advanced=&end_year=2007&doors=& transmission=&max_price=&cardist=29 ) it is a tsi awd and $15000 with 53,386 miles.. do you guys think that is too much? i have enough to pay that but i just think it seems a little high but hey what do i know. also he sayes he has done to many mods to type in the descpription but i just e-mail him asking him to see a list. i will post it when he replys. and if yall could just give me a little input on the 97 talons. i know they are not the most reliable cars out there but i am willing to deal with that.
Goeddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeddel
hi. im getting ready to turn 16 and looking for a car. i have been looking around at esclipses an talons 2nd gen. im leaning more towards the talons. i found one on auto trader ( http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=209220869&dealer_id=58439573&car_ye ar=1997&model=TALON&num_records=25&make2=&start_ye ar=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certifie d=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=75& make=EAGLE&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=p riceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=price DESC&address=62298&advanced=&end_year=2007&doors=& transmission=&max_price=&cardist=29 ) it is a tsi awd and $15000 with 53,386 miles.. do you guys think that is too much? i have enough to pay that but i just think it seems a little high but hey what do i know. also he sayes he has done to many mods to type in the descpription but i just e-mail him asking him to see a list. i will post it when he replys. and if yall could just give me a little input on the 97 talons. i know they are not the most reliable cars out there but i am willing to deal with that.
1. ok first of all that car is WAY too fast for you at your age....
2. That car is too expensive.
3. Buying a used and highly modified car is risky since it's most likely been abused. ( especially talons and eclipses)
4. For 15k why would u want that?
5. I mean for 15k you can get something newer, something that looks better, and something that is a lot more reliable.
6. Some of the cars i might suggest if you are looking for a sporty car are/
94-2001 Acura Integra GSR or Type R, 97-2001 Honda Prelude, 97- 07 Civic SI, 02-06 Acura Rsx / Rsx S, 2002-2004 Dodge Srt-4, 2002-2005 Subaru WRX. 03- Honda s2000 If i had 15k these would be the cars i would look for.... out of all of them i would choose the following in descending order. Subaru WRX, Acura RSX, Integra Type R.

These suggestion are based upon, reliability, performance and safety. I could of said get a Camaro SS, but i dont think you can handle a RWD car with that much power at your age... Same with the Mustang Gt's and Cobras. I personally love the eclipses myself but they have shown to be unreliable at higher mileage.

Now if you decide to buy a sports or semi sports car, please do all of us a favor and take some advanced driving courses.

If u need more help just ask....ohh ya you can also buy a brand new Pontiac G6 sedan.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec
1. ok first of all that car is WAY too fast for you at your age......Now if you decide to buy a sports or semi sports car, please do all of us a favor and take some advanced driving courses.
That car is definitely not that fast. No more faster than the Si or Subaru WRX you named.

Also, have you taken an advanced driving course? Will you pay for his?

If he wants a Talon TSi/Eclipse GSX, I say he try his hardest to get one...but not THAT one. Way too expensive for a Talon or Eclipse. The Eclipses hold their value better due to a more desirable shape, but that's all on you. I wouldn't drop more than 20 beans on this car.

As far as reliability goes, your chances of that car breaking aren't much different than its competitors. The reliability issues with that car has been over-blown. I never experienced crank-walk and I put a bunch of miles on my GSX.

If you wanna drop 15-16k on a car, consider the 350z. Insurance won't be cheap whichever way you go.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Goeddel
CF Newbie

anything that i can tune where insurance would atleast be reasonable?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeddel
anything that i can tune where insurance would atleast be reasonable?
You could tune a Ford F-150 if you like. Everything is tune-able.

What do you like? 2 door? 4 door? 2 seater?

Body kits? Engine tweaking?

How fast do you want to go? Budget?
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

15K seems really high for that car. Usually adding mods to a car DECREASES its value. Unless he's got 10K in mods alone I wouldn't give him over 10K the whole car. I don't have a Blue Book or anything in front of me right now, but you can get a lot more car for $15,000 IMHO.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #7
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
That car is definitely not that fast. No more faster than the Si or Subaru WRX you named.

I believe that car has a 20g turbo upgrade... and by the way he talks about it probably more stuff. are u saying that this talon isn't fastr than 14 sec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
15K seems really high for that car. Usually adding mods to a car DECREASES its value. Unless he's got 10K in mods alone I wouldn't give him over 10K the whole car. I don't have a Blue Book or anything in front of me right now, but you can get a lot more car for $15,000 IMHO.

modding the car decreases the kbb value... the street value however goes up in most cases. Especially when someone is looking for a modded car...
Old 03-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
Goeddel
CF Newbie

this is the mod list he sent me
The basic list of mods on the car includes...

-DSM Performance FMIC w/ short route piping & k&n fipk
-Ported/clipped 20g hybrid
-TurboXS mbc, spal fans, larson hose kit
-Full 3" exhaust comes w/ test pipe, high flow cat, apexi n1
-Greddy Type S
-RC550 injectors w/ rewired walbro 255hp
-Apexi safc
-Chipped eprom w/ shiftlight, fuel adj., stutterbox (never used), 8k redline, etc
-Magnecore's w/ ngk's
-Tokico Illumina kit w/ ingalls camber front and rear
-Rm sways and front strut
-AEM Big brakes front and rear w/ metal masters, ss lines and motul
-Limited ed. 18" Teck drifters w/ Eagle F1 gsd3's
-Hella/osram HID's, piaa superwhites everywhere else w/ clear corners
-Lotek a-pillar w/ autometer boost, egt, and a/f... also hks tt
-Custom configured viper 800esp alarm, works with factory alarm/tt
-35% mirror tint, greddy shift knob (w/ metal bushing kit), sparco pedals, teck snap off wheel (stock w/ airbag included)

Quote:
You could tune a Ford F-150 if you like. Everything is tune-able.

What do you like? 2 door? 4 door? 2 seater?

Body kits? Engine tweaking?

How fast do you want to go? Budget?

i like 2 door cars that site 4-5 ppl and i would like to put on a body kit and like some bolt on components on the engine. i would like to be decently fast.. maybe race a little but i doubt it. and my budget is around 15-20k at the moment im not real sure yet but i would like to get a car that i can get a decent price for insurance
Old 03-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #9
krolla
CF Newbie

Toyota Corolla XRS FTW!!
krolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

For 15k you're close to SRT-4 and 03' 350Z prices. Those are newer, better, and lower-mileage cars.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
t to the maxx2
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec

If u need more help just ask....ohh ya you can also buy a brand new Pontiac G6 sedan.
Meh, a brand new pontiac g6 is better than a 7 year old sebring convertible with a blown tranny. And buying used is a risk my dad didn't want to take