Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2007, 01:34 AM   #1
Ferny
CF Newbie

Mustang or GTI?

Alright I'm getting my permit in less than a month altohugh I've been looking at cars and saving for over a year now. Anyway I narrowed it down to an 03 GTI or a 05 V6 Mustang. Now the GTI I could afford right now actually and probably is the smartest choice for various reasons. Then there is the mustang. I really like the newer mustangs but I would have to wait till about the time I get my licence to get one, Which really isn't a bad thing since I can just drive a family car while I have my permit and learn on something that isn't as precious to me. Now the mustang would be more expensive and wouldn't be the best in the snow but I can hitch a ride off my sister to school if it gets to bad.

Now a lot of people are going to say GTI off the bat since first off the stang is only a V6 and not a GT and the GTI is probably a better car. The thing is though it's my dad's life dream to own a mustang. He never was able to afford one and worked his ass off all his life to get to where he is now to be able to provide me with a middle class life style and on top of that pay for a good chunk of my first car and I appreciate that dearly. I think I should give back by letting him have his dream to an extent. He probably wont spend the money for one on himself.

Now I just found a really good deal on a GTI and plan to look at it this weekend so it would be nice if I can get some help.

Last edited by Ferny : 03-08-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferny
Alright I'm getting my permit in less than a month altohugh I've been looking at cars and saving for over a year now. Anyway I narrowed it down to an 03 GTI or a 05 V6 Mustang. Now the GTI I could afford right now actually and probably is the smartest choice for various reasons. Then there is the mustang. I really like the newer mustangs but I would have to wait till about the time I get my licence to get one, Which really isn't a bad thing since I can just drive a family car while I have my permit and learn on something that isn't as precious to me. Now the mustang would be more expensive and wouldn't be the best in the snow but I can hitch a ride off my sister to school if it gets to bad.

Now a lot of people are going to say GTI off the bat since first off the stang is only a V6 and not a GT and the GTI is probably a better car. The thing is though it's my dad's life dream to own a mustang. He never was able to afford one and worked his ass off all his life to get to where he is now to be able to provide me with a middle class life style and on top of that pay for a good chunk of my first car and I appreciate that dearly. I think I should give back by letting him have his dream to an extent. He probably wont spend the money for one on himself.

Now I just found a really good deal on a GTI and plan to look at it this weekend so it would be nice if I can get some help.

As much as I LOVE the GTIs...Mustang.
DON'T UNDER ESTIMATE THE NEW V6 MUSTANGS!!!
I drove an '06 a couple weeks back with the 4.0 V6 [standard engine in the new 'Stangs] and that thing is as powerful as a small V8. In fact, it makes only 15 less horsepower than the Fox Body 'Stangs did from 1988-93. And they have the torque to back it up. Plus, that Tremec T-5 will give you a good launch from ANY speed.
Not to mention they corner like nothing else...
Test drive one. Come back, tell me what you think.
Reliability?...Please, we ALL know that those engines are rocks.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

If the GTI was an '05 or later model, I'd probably have suggested you go for that, but as it's an earlier model, I'm not so sure. I mean the Golf you're interested in was always 'less' of a GTI than both the Mk1 and the Mk5, in fact it was kind of overweight and under powered in my opinion! It would be different if you were thinking of going for the VR6 or even the 4Motion, but by the description I assume you're thinking about the 1.8T model, in which case it really isn't anything special. One of the things the Golf has going for it is build quality. It's German afterall! I say go for the Mustang though. Even the V6 will have more bang for the buck. Just don't wrap it round a tree.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-08-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Ferny
CF Newbie

I was looking at the VR6 GTI. I forgot to mention that. Another car I was looking at was an 02 Subaru Impreza WRX which would be nice since it is AWD and we do get a decent amount of snow here. Also it's probably the fastest of what I can afford.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
I was looking at the VR6 GTI. I forgot to mention that. Another car I was looking at was an 02 Subaru Impreza WRX which would be nice since it is AWD and we do get a decent amount of snow here. Also it's probably the fastest of what I can afford.
WRX ftw
Old 03-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
elchango36
WWJCD

VR6 GTI
Old 03-08-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
That's a different kettle of fish then.....I'd be inclind to recommend that, however it is still FWD....Unless you meant the 4motion...

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:45 AM   #8
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

If your talking about the new GTIs then Id say that I really like those cars and thats alot coming from me I HATE FWD
Old 03-09-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
Ferny
CF Newbie

I've kind of decides against the GTI. Today as I looked around ym schools parking lot I noticed that it seems like everyone and their mother has a golf or GTI now. Anyway I noticed an 86, 911 in wonderful condition as a putzed around the internet today for only $8,000. In the odd case I ended up with one how much am I looking in paying to run it? I know people talk aboput older porsches and how expensive they are to keep maintained but I never got a grasp as to how much.

Edit:
Nevermind. It's price was based on a $2000 trade in and it needs work that I missed on my first read of the description.

Last edited by Ferny : 03-09-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #10
DannyDarko
CF Newbie

If you are getting expired warranty cars anyway get a well maintained low millage 2001 Audi S4, that will nuke anything you have in that lineup, and take care of it right and it will be good to you. Plus it's an Audi they are good in the snow.

I know they may be hard to find but you could just get lucky.

Other than that have you considered a Pontiac GTO?

Those cars are amazing and people put VERY VERY few miles on them, it's definitly a car that is treated well, it's amazingly fun to drive and ridiculously cheep. I can find ones right next to me that go for 18k and have 15k miles.

Forget VW and Ford, take the next step up to both manufacturers and go for their big daddies.
DannyDarko is offline   Reply With Quote