Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Homerbeeruk
CF Newbie

Corsa 1.0 Idle probs when hot.

Hi,
Got a problem with a Corsa 1.0 Vreg 1999. When the engine is cold, there seems to be no problem. When the engine is at above 90oC it runs, but as soon as you come to a junction or roundabout and have to come to rest the engine cuts out and will not start. Initially when this happened, if you waited till the engine cooled down, the engine would start again, until you came to another juncttion or roundabout. The other way around it was to get someone to slightly open the throttle and push the plunger out slightly on the Idle Speed Control Motor, as someone else turned it over. It would immediately start up.
Since then I have fitted a new ISCM, but the problem is still there. In the Haynes manual, it recommends that I take it to a Dealer to have the settings reset in the ECU. Could this really be the problem now.
I don't mind taking it a dealer, to have a Diagnostic Test done on the car, But have read on othe forum sites that people with similar problems don't really get a cler indicatin of what the problem is. They end up changing every sensor going on the engine to solve it.
Sorry if this seem a bit long winded, but not knowing what the problem is, I don't know whats relevant and what isn't. By the way there is a slight leak on the exhaust if that would effect the Lander Gauge.
Have seen it come on, once ot twice But ain't sure if thats when the engine has cut out anyway, As sometimes I've managed to bump start it on the move. Since last post I've whipped the plugs out to see if it's choking up, but they look fine. Any further info needed, just ask. THANX
Homerbeeruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Does the engine management light come on? Usually they do with this sort of fault, especially on Vauxhalls! I would recommend taking it to a dealer or any other garage for that matter, as they'll be able to hook it up to their diagnostics machine and tell you exactly what's wrong. If you go replacing randon parts as a way of trouble shooting, you could end up spending more money than is necessary! Those things run rough on the best of days, so I can sympathise with your urgency, that 3-cylinder engine doesn't need any extra problems to make it worse, lol.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-12-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
Homerbeeruk
CF Newbie

Update on fault

Thanks for the reply. I have since rectified the fault and thought I'd give the solution for anyone who has a similar problem. It was the Crankshaft sensor. When I removed it, the teat end with the sensor was worn and discoloured. As soon as I fitted a new one(36 from dealer), it runs like a dream. Apparently this is quite common and they often don't show up on diagnostic tests. I didn't even take it to the dealer to have the ECU software reset and update, as there is no need to, if the EML was on when I replaced the faulty component sometimes the lamp would have stayed on but would eventually go out when the ECU registers no errors, any stored codes eventually clear on there own. Hope this will help someone with simlar problem. I've known lots of people, through these types of forums, taking the fault for diagnostic test to find no fault, only to end up chasing it all over the engine and changing sensor left right and center, which is what i nearly ended up doing. Best of luck.
Homerbeeruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerbeeruk
Thanks for the reply. I have since rectified the fault and thought I'd give the solution for anyone who has a similar problem. It was the Crankshaft sensor. When I removed it, the teat end with the sensor was worn and discoloured. As soon as I fitted a new one(£36 from dealer), it runs like a dream. Apparently this is quite common and they often don't show up on diagnostic tests. I didn't even take it to the dealer to have the ECU software reset and update, as there is no need to, if the EML was on when I replaced the faulty component sometimes the lamp would have stayed on but would eventually go out when the ECU registers no errors, any stored codes eventually clear on there own. Hope this will help someone with simlar problem. I've known lots of people, through these types of forums, taking the fault for diagnostic test to find no fault, only to end up chasing it all over the engine and changing sensor left right and center, which is what i nearly ended up doing. Best of luck.
You're welcome! It certainly is a common fault on Vauxhalls, infact I had that very same problem with my 1996 Astra. I feel foolish for not advising you of this earlier....I usually do where Vauxhalls are concerned, lol. Thanx for coming back and letting us know how it went though, it's more than alot of new members do!

Stick around if ya like....you might like it!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote