Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

A car I'm interested in...

Continuing my search for a new car to replace my rapidly fading '88 Integra...

I test drove an '88 Acura Legend L Coupe over the weekend. Its a 5 speed manual, 2.7 L V6 fully loaded with leather, heated power seats, power everything else. Its black with tinted windows.

Has 196,000 Km (120,000 mi) on it, and asking price $2350 CAD (maybe $1900 USD).

Its a very nice drive, though it does have a few minor issues (a vibration at high speed which feels like wheel balance). The owner is going away for 2 weeks so we'll talk again afterwards. He also said he would allow me to take it to work and inspect it on a hoist. Also has maintenance records, etc.

So just wondering what you guys think. Anyone have experience with the car?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

120k is not bad at all for an '88.

Sounds like a nice car if there are no major problems.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:19 AM   #3
Mathew

A lot of my coworkers are pressuring me to save up and get a bimmer. I have 2 issues with that.

1. Price. I can very well hold out and save up for a decent e36 325is, which is what I want. I'd probably be able to afford it by april/may. However, I want a new mountain bike this year. I'm talking a real mountain bike in the $2500 range. Last summer I discovered mountain biking, and this summer I'm going to live it.

2. Half the people at work have them, and I'd like to have a unique car, something a little less common.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, because yes I'm BMW apprentice, and yes I do love BMW's. The plan is to get one next year.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:26 AM   #4
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

When I think "unique" and "BMW", the e36 is the last thing that comes to mind.

If you want a unique BMW (within your budget), try to go for an e30 or e34.

But of course, those are not as good of cars as a 325is...in life, we face trade-offs

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:27 AM   #5
What
Banned

Don't spend beyond your means. If you don't have proper BMW money, don't f*ck with it. You have many years to own a proper BMW.

Inspect the Legend and tell us what you find.

I like Legends, but I hate old leather. Yuck. Yuck Yuck.

But for your budget, you may not find a better deal...unless you go American...maybe.

A car shouldn't handicap your life. Go cheap. That's how I live...mostly...while I'm young.

Mountain Bike>Car...for you.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #6
Mathew

Quote:
When I think "unique" and "BMW", the e36 is the last thing that comes to mind.

If you want a unique BMW (within your budget), try to go for an e30 or e34.

But of course, those are not as good of cars as a 325is...in life, we face trade-offs

I agree with you, but I don't really want an e30 or e34. (Ok I wouldn't mind an e30). But I do love the e35 325is. And yeah duh its common, but its an awesome car . But yeah....not necessary yet.

Quote:
Don't spend beyond your means. If you don't have proper BMW money, don't f*ck with it. You have many years to own a proper BMW.

Inspect the Legend and tell us what you find.

I like Legends, but I hate old leather. Yuck. Yuck Yuck.

But for your budget, you may not find a better deal...unless you go American...maybe.

A car shouldn't handicap your life. Go cheap. That's how I live...mostly...while I'm young.

Mountain Bike>Car...for you.

I also agree with you. I don't wish to spend beyond my means, and I don't really have to get a BMW, even though it would be easier and cheaper to fix it. I actually intended to spend more like $4000 on a new car, but I've been on craigslist everyday for the last month and just seeing whats up there. So I have no problem spending less.

The leather is actually in very good shape. And yeah, like I said, I was willing to spend up to $4 g, but not necessarily having to.

PS, I just spent $1200 on plane tickets to go to Peru this summer for 2 weeks for my cousin's wedding. Not a cheap year thats for sure!

And this is what I reallywant before summer:

Now excuse me while I drool....
Old 03-12-2007, 06:06 AM   #7
oplease19
CF Newbie

Between the worse fuel economy and the Premium gas required you'll be spending twice as much on gas with the Legend compared to the Integra.
oplease19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:14 AM   #8
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
Between the worse fuel economy and the Premium gas required you'll be spending twice as much on gas with the Legend compared to the Integra.

G1 Legends don't require premium, and yes I'm aware I'll be spending more on gas, but I'm also getting a lot more power and more features. I make a lot more money than I did a year and a half ago when I bought the integra.

Thanks for the warning though.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:18 AM   #9
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19

That Legend didn't require premium. It does get slightly less fuel mileage than his Integra...when both were new. It isn't enough to care about.
----------

Mathew just responded with basically the same thing I wrote...so my posts is almost useless...fortunate, I am What...the being.

Since surpassing "Legendary" status, I don't know what to call myself...yet.

Last edited by What : 03-12-2007 at 06:20 AM.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #10
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Id have to agree with What, dont spend beyond your means, but im also not a fan of BMW, if the Acura looks good no major problems, low ball him a bit and just take it. plus that bike looks like alot of fun and healthier for you and your wallet, go fer the bike
Old 03-13-2007, 02:36 AM   #11
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
Id have to agree with What, dont spend beyond your means, but im also not a fan of BMW, if the Acura looks good no major problems, low ball him a bit and just take it. plus that bike looks like alot of fun and healthier for you and your wallet, go fer the bike

I'm getting the bike either way ....