Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
gargamel343
CF Newbie

92 Cav. overheated replaced thermostat now it wont start

I bought 92 Cavalier for my daughter, she has driven it all winter long. yesterday it got warm and she used the AC in heavy traffic. She called me from work to say the car got really hot (all the way over to the red zone).
I drove it home, it got hot when we stopped in traffic, cooled down as soon as I moved. I changed the thermostat, test drove the car, it didnt overheat, so I figured it was fine..

This morning she drove to school and broke down on the highway. The car died for no reason, she said she watched the gauge and it didnt go past the half mark. I added some more water, car started fine, had it towed home anyway. Got it home ran it in driveway to see if it would get hot. After about 15 min. the engine died, the gauge was at first mark which is normal for this car, now the car wont restart.

There is no oil in the antifreeze and no antifreeze in the oil, so I figure head gasket is ok. The cooling fan does kick on, but not when I think it should. Yesterday I had to get the car up to the half mark for the fan to kick on, the tow truck driver said to turn on AC that should kick the fan, but it didnt.

Any ideas what is going on and why wont the car start?? Am thinking about wiring the fan constantly on for time being, course that is assuming the car will start...
gargamel343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

If the temperature is ok and the fan comes on, the two problems seem to be unrelated, so wiring the fan to be on constantly will have no effect. As long as the fan cuts in at a reasonable time (like not when the temperature hits the 'red zone'), it should be fine. I assume you bled the cooling system through or done the necessary when you replaced the thermostat? Does the car crank over as if it's trying to start?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-14-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
gargamel343
CF Newbie

92 Cav. cooling fan

Got the car to start after letting it sit for couple hours. Anyway, at wont point should the cooling fan kick on?? I ran the car for a while til the temp gauge in car hit the normal running mark, i had hot air blowing out of the vents. Shouldn't the fan come on at some point, even if the temp gauge is reading in normal range?? Can I assume then that maybe the temp sensor is bad thus not making the fan kick on?? The fan came on once, yesterday when the car was pretty hot, up over the half way point which isnt normal for this car. Maybe a faulty relay??

Would hooking up the fan to be constantly on hurt anything?? I did this to a 1983 LeSabre and that ugly piece of crap is still running...
Old 03-14-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
.....I added some more water.....

Where did the original go? You know when there are steam pockets in the water ways, they will invariably bottle around the temp guage sensor and give a lower than actual water temperature reading.

Look for evidence of coolant escaping form the expansion tank, it can indicate if you have a gasket failure between a cylinder and the water ways.

Do you have a radiator cap and if so have you replaced it?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel343
Would hooking up the fan to be constantly on hurt anything?? I did this to a 1983 LeSabre and that ugly piece of crap is still running...

how do you do that to a belt driven fan? (83 lesabre) see what's missing when it won't restart (fuel, air, spark) i've seen failing crank position sensors act like that...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
gargamel343
CF Newbie

cooling problem fixed, now dies after getting warm

Pretty sure we got the cooling issue solved, but now the car will just die for no reason. I drove the car 16 miles, it was fine, didn't overheat. My daughter drives is 2 miles and it just died on her and wouldn't restart until everything had cooled down.

I did the code check through the link by the fuse panel and got no error codes.

Someone suggested the coil packs might be defective, but don't want to go out and spend money when I am not sure this is the problem.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

that sounds a lot like a crank position sensor... i had one that would run for 47 minutes and then die...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:21 AM   #8
gargamel343
CF Newbie

replaced coil packs

Had the guy at the garage change the coil packs, only charged me $26.50 (husband just had back surgery so he couldnt do it). I drove the car home, let it run in the driveway for an hour and a half. Car did not overheat and it did not die, so crossing my fingers that daughter makes it to school tomorrow.

If the car dies for no reason then I will change the the crank sensor myself tomorrow. I have a Haynes manual and know quite a bit about cars so will attempt to change that one myself. (bought a crank sensor just in case)

Thanks for all the help..