Did I blow the ignition??!
Hi... I've come here because I think I've "blown the ignition" in an automatic 1987 Honda Civic wagon. I was attempting to wire something into the fusebox, where there are five convenient terminals that are obviously for add-ons (there is no fuse; they accept a wire with a quick-disconnect head, and expect you to have an inline fuse). I had previously wired a different device into the fusebox with no trouble at all, but otherwise have no experience with wiring, or even cars for that matter. Yes, I know this was probably stupid.
In the process, I accidentally connected a switched terminal to an unswitched terminal with the engine off but with the key in the ignition (so the switched terminal was on). There was no fuse in the circuit yet, and as I touched the connector to the terminal, I saw a big SPARK.
Thinking nothing was wrong, I finished the wiring job, but then found that the device would not turn on. This is when I tried cranking the engine. Uhoh. It would not crank. In fact, even with the key in the START, RUN, or ACC positions, the car beeped at me to remind me to take the key out. (Usually, it will only beep if the key is in the OFF position.)
I used a little plastic fuse tester, which indicated that all my fuses (including the one for the ignition solenoid) are working. I have since disconnected the wiring from the fusebox, and it still won't crank. I don't know what else to try.
I wish that my first post on this forum was not begging for help, but oh well. I apologize for the long post, and I hope that someone out there can suggest a solution, or at least tell me that I'm screwed :-) .