Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 03:33 AM   #1
Suicidegirl
CF Newbie
 
Suicidegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
Car or SUV?

So for college i'm looking to get either a new car or suv, but im not really sure what i should get. me and my friends take trips alot, and usually are way overpacked in a car, but then again I spend most of my time commuting back and forth. I'm so confused, what should I get? I'm concerned about gas prices, but also about not being able to fit me and my friends stuff in a car.
Suicidegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
hondaman
I drive a Buick.
 
hondaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Somewhere in Alabama
Posts: 1,432
A lot of it depends on what you expect the car to do for you in areas other than fuel economy and interior volume...

In your situation, I would get a large-sized car. But that's just me.
.
.
.
__________________
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
You need something in the middle.


Have you considered a wagon or large hatchback?
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:23 AM   #4
97Talonchik
discombobulated
 
97Talonchik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,257
Better yet, why not look into getting a Hybrid SUV? The best of both worlds.
It's spacious, it's fuel efficient, and you get a tax break! You really can't go wrong there!
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:47 AM   #5
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Better yet, why not look into getting a Hybrid SUV? The best of both worlds.
It's spacious, it's fuel efficient, and you get a tax break! You really can't go wrong there!
Hybrid SUVs are sh*t. Look into them and you'll see.

Most of them aren't "real" hybrids. Most only use the electric engine to allow the engine to shut off during a complete stop, and once moving, the gas engine does all the work. So basically, the electric engine just starts the car.

And most of those "hybrid" SUVs claim a 10-15% increase over their non-hybrid counterparts...and most of those got around 15 mpg...10% more than 15mpg ain't much.

But maybe I haven't look at them all.

Luggage capacity in an SUV is overrated anyway.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:50 AM   #6
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Better yet, why not look into getting a Hybrid SUV? The best of both worlds.
It's spacious, it's fuel efficient, and you get a tax break! You really can't go wrong there!



Hybrid SUVs are so expensive that you would be better off just paying the extra $$ in gas.


Sad, but true.
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
A coworker has a hybrid Escape. Essentially it's an electric car that has a gas engine in it for highway use. Around town, the gas engine rarely gets used, so he gets like 45 mpg, and 35 mpg on the highway. Not a bad tradeoff if you have to buy a new car anyhow.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Hybrid SUVs are so expensive that you would be better off just paying the extra $$ in gas.


Sad, but true.
I sort of agree, however, the length of time you intend on keeping it would pay a large part in that equation. I mean, it could work out cheaper in the long run if you intended on keeping the car for several years. The Government loves all things that show even the slightest inclin of greeness these days.
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
giant016
My mom says I'm cool
 
giant016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 1,274
I've been in an Escape, non-hybrid, and the cargo capacity is crappy for an SUV. I'm guessing most hybrid SUVs are small like the Escape, which didn't feel like it any more cargo room than a large car. Maybe you could get a small fuel efficient car for driving by yourself, get a trailer hitch, and get one of those really small trailers (don't know exactly what they're called) to lug stuff around in for trips.
__________________
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I sort of agree, however, the length of time you intend on keeping it would pay a large part in that equation. I mean, it could work out cheaper in the long run if you intended on keeping the car for several years. The Government loves all things that show even the slightest inclin of greeness these days.

That is definitely true. Usually people who buy cars brand new change them every few years, but let's wait for her response.
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
Suicidegirl
CF Newbie
 
Suicidegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
I don't ever buy brand new cars, the main reason is because I can't afford them, at least while i'm still in college. I'm not sure about a hybrid, but ill definitely keep an eye out for them.
Suicidegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #12
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidegirl
I don't ever buy brand new cars, the main reason is because I can't afford them, at least while i'm still in college. I'm not sure about a hybrid, but ill definitely keep an eye out for them.




It would help a lot if we knew your budget.
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:43 PM   #13
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
Look at used subaru's, my friend has an outback and we use it for trips up to durango for snowboarding all the time. DOes great in the snow, he hasn't had any major problems, and it gets decent gas mileage.
__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:23 AM   #14
Suicidegirl
CF Newbie
 
Suicidegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
It would help a lot if we knew your budget.

around 12k-15k
Suicidegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:34 AM   #15
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum
 
Ki2AY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Francisco CA.
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidegirl
So for college i'm looking to get either a new car or suv, but im not really sure what i should get. me and my friends take trips alot, and usually are way overpacked in a car, but then again I spend most of my time commuting back and forth. I'm so confused, what should I get? I'm concerned about gas prices, but also about not being able to fit me and my friends stuff in a car.


whats your budget?
Ki2AY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.