Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
fubz
CF Newbie

2 Questions - I think they may be related - Blowing Air

Hello,
I'm new to these forums, I was hoping someone here might be able to help me. I've had lots of trouble finding places to get help with my car
I have a '94 Toyota Corrola

As for my question:
When I was driving home today I noticed that my heat was on, so i looked at the panel, but the blower was off. I thought that was weird. As I came to a stop air stopped blowing through the vents. So i figure there is a hole or leak somewhere, not sure were tho. I checked the heating hose that goes into my car and it looks to be in fine condition, and the blower unit doesn't look too bad.
Also when I would turn the switch that switches between recirc air, and Intake air, when i was moving it would jump back to recirc air. weird....

This is the other thing, and i was wondering if it might be related, however this has been going on for a while and it is driving me nuts.
When i drive upwards of 50mph I can hear a high pitch whistling sound that seems like it may becoming from the windshield defrosters, or one of the other vents. I can't really tell which, and sometimes it seems to change. The funny part about this problem is that when it is either A. wet outside or B. cold outside it doesn't whistle.
Could this have anything to do with the first problem?

Thank you for your time.
fubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
bigriv1990
CF Newbie

Original Post Deleted. See re-post.

-Matt

Last edited by bigriv1990 : 03-28-2007 at 08:19 PM.
bigriv1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
bigriv1990
CF Newbie

When your controls are not set to recirculate, or in other words you have outside air selected, there is a direct path to the vents. These outside vents are generally mounted on the top of the hood, right below the windshield. At higher speeds, the air rushing past the vehicle will force its way in at a rate that will be noticable. Your heat was "on" because you had the temperature selector in the warmer zone, so the air was blowing past the heater core and warming up, same as it would if the fan was running.

So in other words, you don't NEED to have the fan running to feel air moving if you have outside air selected.

The whistling sound is most likely a leaf or some other debris that is resting on the vents. As the air parts around the leaf, it creates a faint whistle, which, at the right pitch, will resonate through the vents and be amplified to the point where you can hear it. If you clean the vent screens, the whistling should stop. If it doesn't you've got debris in the vents themselves. But most of the time it's just sitting on the vents outside.

-Matt

PS: If you want to stop the air from coming in, then set the air control to recirculate. This closes off the outside vents from the rest of the ventillation system.
bigriv1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:13 AM   #4
fubz
CF Newbie

Where can I find this vent screen?
fubz is offline   Reply With Quote