Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
rustydart
CF Newbie

Question radiator removal and replace, 94 cavalier

1994 cavalier rs 3.1 v6 mpfi with a/c, auto/trans, 2dr, 185,000km. Here's a this little history on vehicle. We purchased it as is from one owner friend of the family, it had 174,000 km this was just over a year ago. The car runs well, but it failed it's recent emission test. So I poured over the receipts from the previous owner and found out the car has never had a tuneup or any heating/ cooling system work done other than having the a/c retofitted to r134a in 1999, which was done a reputable rad shop.

Anyway I pulled the spark plugs, the gaps were (0.065+) on all six plugs, they should be (0.045) ,the plugs are changed. Next are the plug wires.

Because of where the coil pack is located on the side of motor, the cooling fan has to be removed to access the plug wires on the coil pack. But to remove the cooling fan you have to remove the upper rad hose, the air and battery perches.

I pressure tested the cooling system.. no leaks, but upper and lower rad hoses ballooned really bad, so I'm replacing all hoses, thermosat, cap and antifreeze.So I want to take the rad out to have it checked anyways because of the high km's on the car and the fact that the rad is aluminum with plastic tanks, then I can get at that coil pack a little easier. This little v-6 motor was put in this car with a shoehorn, not any room to work!!! the a/c lines are in the way, there appears to be no drain cock on the rad. So any info on this would be a great help. sincerely yours rustydart (ps. the manuals were no help)
rustydart is offline   Reply With Quote