Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
FXpowered
CF Newbie

Get this crap: Cop lies to us costs us $160

Aright so my dad is driving his Honda home from work and he's coming out of a 7/11. He makes the turn and is immediately flagged down by some kind of special undercover cop. He(the cop) was driving a SUV and I forget what he said he was(he wasn't state of county). At any rate he tells us the car My dad's driving is uninsured. He says he entered our names into his computer and we showed up as having no insurance. Of course, the car is covered, and the car has always been insured. We'd gotten a couple of warning notices saying to do something by the end of the month, and this happened a couple weeks ago so we had time. So the guy takes our plates away and the car has to be towed and we have to get a ride home from this guy my dad works with. The tow cost 160 bucks. So my dad takes it to court and wins, the insurance was always there and the cop had no right to pull us over. Of course at the time we asked to see the computer but the cop didn't show it to him. He gets the plates back and drives it home and they decide to reimburse us the 160 dollars.

but those things take time...

Bull crap huh?
FXpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXpowered
Aright so my dad is driving his Honda home from work and he's coming out of a 7/11. He makes the turn and is immediately flagged down by some kind of special undercover cop. He(the cop) was driving a SUV and I forget what he said he was(he wasn't state of county). At any rate he tells us the car My dad's driving is uninsured. He says he entered our names into his computer and we showed up as having no insurance. Of course, the car is covered, and the car has always been insured. We'd gotten a couple of warning notices saying to do something by the end of the month, and this happened a couple weeks ago so we had time. So the guy takes our plates away and the car has to be towed and we have to get a ride home from this guy my dad works with. The tow cost 160 bucks. So my dad takes it to court and wins, the insurance was always there and the cop had no right to pull us over. Of course at the time we asked to see the computer but the cop didn't show it to him. He gets the plates back and drives it home and they decide to reimburse us the 160 dollars.

but those things take time...

Bull crap huh?
How the hell can the cops tell that you do or don't have insurance by their computers? If this happened to me I would call in the real cops to make sure this guy was a cop as well. If the cops could run your name and tell if you had insurance then you wouldn't need to carry proof of insurance.

Maybe I'm wrong here as I don't know much, and what I do know only pertains to my state, but something smells fishy about this story.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
How the hell can the cops tell that you do or don't have insurance by their computers? If this happened to me I would call in the real cops to make sure this guy was a cop as well. If the cops could run your name and tell if you had insurance then you wouldn't need to carry proof of insurance.

Maybe I'm wrong here as I don't know much, and what I do know only pertains to my state, but something smells fishy about this story.

The police's computer system keep records for every vehicle, including all information about the owners, accidents, tickets, and you guessed it, insurance.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:28 PM   #4
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

It can't be registered w/out insurance and therefore would not be able to even have plates.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:43 AM   #5
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

im glad there arent cops here

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:56 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
It can't be registered w/out insurance and therefore would not be able to even have plates.
What if the insurance runs out and isn't renewed? Surely the plates are just kept with the vehicle?

Quote:

We have what's known as the PNC (Police National Computer) here in the UK. Basically this holds details of all vehicles and people in the country. We also have a fairly new system known as ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) which certain traffic patrol cars are fitted with. This flags up cars that are uninsured, untaxed or reported as stolen etc. It tells the officer everything he/she needs to know in a split second....Big brother is watching you I guess!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
im glad there arent cops here
They just expect you guys to follow the law?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:32 AM   #8
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
They just expect you guys to follow the law?

sort of, even thought I was joking, its pretty damn slack

I see one cop a day, maybe

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:37 AM   #9
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
What if the insurance runs out and isn't renewed? Surely the plates are just kept with the vehicle?

We have what's known as the PNC (Police National Computer) here in the UK. Basically this holds details of all vehicles and people in the country. We also have a fairly new system known as ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) which certain traffic patrol cars are fitted with. This flags up cars that are uninsured, untaxed or reported as stolen etc. It tells the officer everything he/she needs to know in a split second....Big brother is watching you I guess!
You are correct about the insurance. There are many uninsured drivers who have their plates, who just canceled their insurance. I just want to know why if the popo have all this info at their fingertips we still need to show proof of insurance in many states.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:51 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
You are correct about the insurance. There are many uninsured drivers who have their plates, who just canceled their insurance. I just want to know why if the popo have all this info at their fingertips we still need to show proof of insurance in many states.
That's a good question. I guess it's the same here as in most places, in that strictly speaking, the law requires you to carry all your documents on you at all times. I think that the Police realise that not many people do this though, and as such, treat this as an unwritten rule....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:41 AM   #11
Andrew0261
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
well we have to show a proof of license but they can just run your name on a computer and it right there for them and you can be fined for not having your insurance on you at hand. They can do a computer run on insurance too
Andrew0261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #12
DannyDarko
CF Newbie

I'd have to agree the system is just to make drivers carry insurance incase of an accident because the other motorist won't have a police computer, and many accidents aren't reported.

I am also not sure if they can see your policy number.

Furthermore the system takes time to update and proof of insurance is better than a system that is not designed for reliability, it's designed to semi reliably find stolen vehicles, or suspect vehicles.
DannyDarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDarko
Furthermore the system takes time to update and proof of insurance is better than a system that is not designed for reliability, it's designed to semi reliably find stolen vehicles, or suspect vehicles.
In most cases the Police computer is more reliable than the proof itself. For example if a member of the public cancels their policy, or they have it cancelled for some reason, they don't always surrender their insurance certificate, and the insurer rarely chases this up. So the person can show the Police an invalid certificate if he/she so desires. I guess this is where the computer comes in to play. Having said that, in the UK the police just give you seven days to produce your details at the station of your choice, and failure to do so is a criminal offence. There no real need to use the PNC unless something about the motorist doesn't quite add up.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #14
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

NVM plz

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:21 PM   #15
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
sort of, even thought I was joking, its pretty damn slack

I see one cop a day, maybe
Damn...there are shitloads of cops roamin st. pete, largo, tampa etc, but you have less people