Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
IrishJoe
CF Newbie

Question 88 Camaro failed emissions test.

I have an 88 camaro I baught a few months back, the guy I got it off of told me it had a 5.7 litre 350 in it he had taken out of a caprice police interceptor, and it originally had a v6. The caprice interceptors from 91-93 had the 5.7 litre v8 if im right.
When I first got it if I didnt give it enough gas when starting it, it wouldnt start at all. But the battery was going bad and it needed new injectors. I replaced the battery and I put new injectors on it and now it starts fine. I dont have any problems when im driving, it runs great. When I first start it, it smokes a lot and you can smell gas though.
I took it to get it inspected and it failed emissions, the guy who inspected it told me basically he has no idea what caused it to fail and its probly going to cost me a lot to fix.
My cousin told me a couple things I should replace that might fix the problem, but he said I need the number off the block to know what exactly to order. He also told me the number would be behind the alternator, I removed the alternator but couldnt find anything.
Can anyone tell me where to look on the block to find the number, or what could possibly be the reason for it to fail emissions? This is my first car I dont know a lot about engines, any help would be apreciated.
IrishJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:28 AM   #2
Bigtime
CF Newbie

don't you just love it when a mechanic tells you crap like that.

I have a car that was losing oil super fast, like a quart a week, sometimes sooner. Took it to my regular mechanic and he tells me that there are a few minor leaks but not enought to justify this kind of loss.
He tells me so you're burning it somewhere. I was thinking ok if I was burning that much oil.....my car would be smoking real bad and it does not smoke at all. Dude wanted to charge me somewhere around 1000 dollars just to tear the motor apart and try and diagnose it. I said screw it and went elswhere.

In regards to your car. Make sure your mechanic isn't using the original specs for that car. Orig was a v-6 so the emissions requirements for the V-6 are different than the 350. Also might want to change out the catalytic convertor on it as well.
Seems it might be running rich. it's fuel injected i believe so I'm not sure how you would adjust that.
Paul
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

What color is the smoke? Could be valve seals. The cat could be bad on top of that.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
IrishJoe
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
What color is the smoke? Could be valve seals. The cat could be bad on top of that.

white.
IrishJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
section8
CF Newbie

try this

there is a product i buy at wallmart, autozone, places like that called RXP. its i little bottle of fuel treatment thats a little expensive about 7-9 bucks for a tiny bottle. fill ur tank about half to three quarters full, and add that bottle, ive had a few cars that failed emisions and adding that to the gas alone mad it pass. when they did the motor swap did they change the computer?
section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:54 AM   #6
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

try seafoam?