Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2007, 02:25 AM   #1
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
The Best Tip Ever!!!!!!!

If there is one thing you should do in life is read this and follow the directions. UNLESS YOUR CAR HAS A CARBURETOR, WHICH 99% OF YOU DON'T....PLEASE DO NOT PUMP THE GAS PEDAL WHEN YOU GO TO START YOUR CAR. i repeat PLEASE do not pump the pedal when you start your fuel injected car, your are a complete fool and should have your license taken away or shoved up your crapper for being such a moron
Old 03-28-2007, 02:31 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I did that the first time I started a car, but was told pretty quickly why not to do it again lol.

Bad experience at work today?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:39 AM   #3
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

I remember when my boss got a new truck a few years back. She told me something like "Yeah! you don't even have to pump the gas before starting it". Keep in mind her pervious truck was a mid-90s GM (don't recall exactly what it was, but I doubt it was carb'd) and a Z3.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:45 AM   #4
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

aah... the good ol' days of choking the torana to the max on a cold morning and pumping away.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 AM   #5
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

not just a bad experiance at work today but almost everyday, people should have to take a class to drive a car, so they know how to even fill the gas.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:44 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
not just a bad experience at work today but almost everyday, people should have to take a class to drive a car, so they know how to even fill the gas.
What type of people do you most come across that have done something dumb like that (ie soccer moms, spoiled teens, everyone)?
Old 03-30-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

well being in a resort town like banff we get over 4 million people through the park gates a year so we have all kinds, and i get asked almost everyday how to fill a car with gas and im not a gas jockey so it really sucks and you wonder how these people get a license. AMAZING!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:34 AM   #8
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Erm, what exactly happens?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:34 AM   #9
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

i will be walking to a broken down car with coveralls and tools in hand and people will yell at me or shake thier arms and jump up and down and ask "do you work here" "how do i fill my car" just like that
Old 03-31-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I was watching something on TV a while ago which looks at celebrities and their cars.....I really fail to see how some people, celeb or otherwise, don't know how to open the bonnet....It should have been part of the driving test sinse it was brought in! In the UK for the past 5 or 6-years learner drivers have had to show reasonable competance in what's under the bonnet of a car, before they can pass thei test. It was just brought in when I learnt to drive and is seemingly impossible to get wrong, even for a complete idiot (even the eye test is worse, lol)....but obviously some would fail.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:55 AM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞

While CF is on the topic of cars, Paris Hilton might do jail time for driving on a suspended license
Old 04-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I was watching something on TV a while ago which looks at celebrities and their cars.....I really fail to see how some people, celeb or otherwise, don't know how to open the bonnet....It should have been part of the driving test sinse it was brought in! In the UK for the past 5 or 6-years learner drivers have had to show reasonable competance in what's under the bonnet of a car, before they can pass thei test. It was just brought in when I learnt to drive and is seemingly impossible to get wrong, even for a complete idiot (even the eye test is worse, lol)....but obviously some would fail.

I remember when some models of the "Rolls" were sold here in the US, with the bonnet locked. If the car needed service a mechanic was sent from England with the key.

We here at CF love cars. We rub them, clean them, fix them, and spend a lot of our time learning everything about them.

For others, the car is just a tool. It gets them to work, takes them shopping, gets them to the hair-dresser. If it quits working, discard it and get a new one. Half of the population does not even own a simple screwdriver.

Those people are inventing new medicines, writing great books, making better foods, and a whole host of other things we benefit from. As long as they can drive safely, and not kill someone, I could care less if they don't care about cars. Those people are to busy inventing a new pill which may save my life.

Maybe that lady who can't open her hood, is a trained jet pilot, who just spent 16 hours a day, for 2 years, learning how to fly the space shuttle.

There is room for both kinds on this planet.

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
jcutsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #13
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
i will be walking to a broken down car with coveralls and tools in hand and people will yell at me or shake thier arms and jump up and down and ask "do you work here" "how do i fill my car" just like that

I meant when you pump the gas with fuel injection

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcutsh
Maybe that lady who can't open her hood, is a trained jet pilot, who just spent 16 hours a day, for 2 years, learning how to fly the space shuttle.

There is room for both kinds on this planet.
I see what you're saying there, John, but that example isn't the best you could have come up with, lol. I mean with a job as technical as flying a plane or similar, opening the bonnet on a car should take all of a few seconds to figure out, even if they don't have a driving license! I think also thatall drivers should be made to know at least about how to chek fluid levels under the bonnet, as these items could cause an accident if they're not monitored. For example if the brake fluid has run low and requires topping up, making braking performance suffer. Or if the PAS fluid leaking and has all gone, meaning that the steering could suddenly tighten, causing the driver not to be able to steer as they would normally.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:12 AM   #15
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I see what you're saying there, John, but that example isn't the best you could have come up with, lol. I mean with a job as technical as flying a plane or similar, opening the bonnet on a car should take all of a few seconds to figure out, even if they don't have a driving license! I think also thatall drivers should be made to know at least about how to chek fluid levels under the bonnet, as these items could cause an accident if they're not monitored. For example if the brake fluid has run low and requires topping up, making braking performance suffer. Or if the PAS fluid leaking and has all gone, meaning that the steering could suddenly tighten, causing the driver not to be able to steer as they would normally.
I agree with that, but really, how often do you check those things in your car? Most people know how to measure tire pressure, yet they're still putting in tire pressure monitors in some cars. People need to be reminded that going to a mechanic every 3,000 to 5,000 miles isn't enough.