Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
lcrgal
CF Newbie

Question 2002 pontiac sunfire won't start

it ran fine yesterday. got in it @ 5am and it turns over fine but won't start. hope its not the fuel pump. does it have an in-line filter? where can i start? HELP
lcrgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:33 AM   #2
Andrew0261
CF Enthusiast

had the same problem recently in my mustang and it turned out to be a fuel pump on my way home from work and it just dies would turn over but wouldnt start it wasnt geting any fuel so i wish you luck lol
Andrew0261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 AM   #3
Bigtime
CF Newbie

Yeah alot of times when the fuel pump goes......it goes... and usally without warning unless you run it out of fuel and burn it up.
Paul
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
TexTruck
CF Newbie

Quote:
it ran fine yesterday. got in it @ 5am and it turns over fine but won't start. hope its not the fuel pump. does it have an in-line filter? where can i start? HELP

Ok. We're on the right track as it is turning over therefore the obvious answer is that it's not getting fuel. Yes your car does have an in-line filter however I'd be surprised if it had anything to do with it. However if your filter has never been changed. Hey now's as a good a time as any. Next I'd check for the relay switch fuse thingy (sorry I don't know the correct terms here) it's under the hood under the black cover on the drivers side. I am not sure if it's labled under there anywhere. I'd get the haynes manual if I was you. Anyhow check this. If that is not it then check the wiring and connections to the fuel pump. If this is all in good order then your next obvious step is the fuel pump. If it still don't work after this then I am sorry I wasted your time!!
TexTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
Bigtime
CF Newbie

yeah I totally forgot that the fuse to the fuel pump could have gone bad.
Also in some cars they have a fuel cutoff switch, alot of times in the rear that trips when in an accident like being rearended. IT helps prevent explosions and such.
Paul
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

This thread is full of half-assed and completely-assed advice, but this one takes the cake. You are singled out but it applied to everyone who has participated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTruck
Ok. We're on the right track as it is turning over therefore the obvious answer is that it's not getting fuel.
Really? Does it now? If for example the fuel supply and delivery systems are working exactly as required but there is no spark, the engine will most certainly still crank over but will not start. So the million dollar question for all of you wannabe mechanics is, how do the symptoms make it obvious that it's not getting fuel?

Anyone?

Note: Ignition system faults are statistically three times more likely to cause a no-start condition than fuel system fault, so why do the rookies always look in the wrong place first? Because they don't really have a clue. You people don't even know what engine it has and you're already jumping up to give advice. That is, in a word, ridiculous. How can you pretend to have a solution when you aren't even knowledgeable on the problem? If you spent more time asking questions and learning, you'd spend less time taking stabs in the dark and confusing people.

Do you want to help the girl? Start out by telling her to get a service manual and follow the troubleshooting chart.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:03 AM   #7
TexTruck
CF Newbie

Quote:
This thread is full of half-assed and completely-assed advice, but this one takes the cake. You are singled out but it applied to everyone who has participated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTruck
Ok. We're on the right track as it is turning over therefore the obvious answer is that it's not getting fuel.

Really? Does it now? If for example the fuel supply and delivery systems are working exactly as required but there is no spark, the engine will most certainly still crank over but will not start. So the million dollar question for all of you wannabe mechanics is, how do the symptoms make it obvious that it's not getting fuel?

Anyone?

Note: Ignition system faults are statistically three times more likely to cause a no-start condition than fuel system fault, so why do the rookies always look in the wrong place first? Because they don't really have a clue. You people don't even know what engine it has and you're already jumping up to give advice. That is, in a word, ridiculous. How can you pretend to have a solution when you aren't even knowledgeable on the problem? If you spent more time asking questions and learning, you'd spend less time taking stabs in the dark and confusing people.

Do you want to help the girl? Start out by telling her to get a service manual and follow the troubleshooting chart.

YES!! Finally I got told by the Hobo!! Well since I am ending this day on a positive note anyway I might as well ask for somemore. I actually thought about the spark but thought it was fuel you should go after first. Thanks for putting me in my place. As for asking questions to learn I am gonna go throw that back in your face and tell you that when it comes to this forum there is no one who is knowledgeable that answers questions. I have noticed that there are a few besides yourself who have a little know-how but they sure don't share any. I am grateful to you for all the help you gave me and I would not even make suggestions if I thought someone else with more experience might have a valid helpful suggestion for a person who is obviously using the internet for it's true intended purpose INFORMATION GATHERING. Unless I mis-read your responses in your personal information update you are not going to be very available in the near future. Therefore this forum will become effectively usless for anyone searching the internet in regards to finding helpful people with any knowledge to send them in a productive direction when it comes to auto repair. Oh and I did suggest that she get a Haynes manual!!
TexTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
MrClean
CF Newbie

Asking for help...

The person is asking for help. Not asking you to put down everyone elses answer.
You may not know this they do not make manuels for that year.
If you listened to the question. He/she say it starts but will not run.
I have the same problem. Same year same vehicle.
Can someone out there with some knowledge give a better answer than find a manuel. What else should I rule out. I replaced the fuel filter. No change.
I think its the fuel pump. but I want to make sure before I spend $200.00 plus my time.
Thanks for being helpful
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:33 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

You are without a doubt the most ignorant person in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean
The person is asking for help. Not asking you to put down everyone elses answer.
Oh, really. If that's the case, what is the picture below? A figment of all our imaginations?

If you said it's the non-existent manual for her and apparently your car, you just gained two IQ points. Or perhaps you were talking about Manuel, the guy who used to do my lawn. The word is manual.

Quote:
If you listened to the question. He/she say it starts but will not run.
Really? Are you sure? I wasn't able to listen, but I was able to read. What she said, and I quote;

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrgal
Making the statement that a car starts but doesn't run is ridiculous. You just lost four IQ points. Lose three more and you're a house plant.

Quote:
I have the same problem. Same year same vehicle.
Can someone out there with some knowledge give a better answer than find a manuel.
I have substantial knowledge, training and experience. I even know that a manual exists for the car and how to correctly spell it. Whether you like it or not, I am helping you by telling you to get a manual and follow the diagnostic procedure. But you then refuse to even help yourself, so why should I? Maybe Manuel will.

Quote:
What else should I rule out. I replaced the fuel filter. No change.
I think its the fuel pump. but I want to make sure before I spend $200.00 plus my time.
Thanks for being helpful
You're welcome. Thanks for being an e-tard.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 05-19-2007, 12:12 AM   #10
MrClean
CF Newbie

Anyone can find a picture

I can find the picture of a MANUAL sure no prob. In my area I have searched no physical MANUAL for that year or model. Not at Murrays, Autozone, or Bestauto. Neither one of of though places could order me an up to date MANUAL. Which I checked, called, and asked. Well I guess I was wrong cause you found a picture.
I thought coming on here might help. All I got was get a MANUAL.
Sorry for my miss spelling on my other thread. I must be without a doubt the most ignorant person in this thread.
Thanx
oops. I spelled that wrong to.
Thanks
Old 05-19-2007, 12:27 AM   #11
MrClean
CF Newbie

Found a MANUAL

I have to order it online, but I found one.
Must be my lucky day. I'm sure glad someone told to find a MANUAL.
What would I do without your great advise. I sure can afford my car to sit for several days while my new MANUAL comes in.
To bad there was nobody on here with some knowledge that could of given me some help.
Here is the web site if your interested in getting a MANUAL.
http://discountautorepairmanuals.com
Old 05-19-2007, 12:52 AM   #12
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrgal

Tried the simple things, like borrowing a fully charged battery? Checking the fuel guage?
Old 05-19-2007, 02:24 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

This statement;

Quote:
I can find the picture of a MANUAL sure no prob. In my area I have searched no physical MANUAL for that year or model. Not at Murrays, Autozone, or Bestauto. Neither one of of though places could order me an up to date MANUAL. Which I checked, called, and asked. Well I guess I was wrong cause you found a picture

and this statement;
Quote:
Don't seem to say the same thing. As a matter of fact they seem to directly contradict one another. It looks to me as though you're not only ignorant, but full of sh*t as well. You should last about five posts on this forum. Good job.

BTW, if your head wasn't pushed so far up your anus, you'd know that I gave you more than just a picture. The part number is right on it... Available overnight from Autozone and Murray's. I have no knowledge of Bestauto.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:34 AM   #14
chevydude232
CF Newbie

ok this is gonna take two people if u wanna rule out the fuel pump while u are standing next to were u pump ur gas in (gas cap) try to squat down and listen t while some one turns the key to the on postion but not crank over the engine if u here a kind of click or winding noise ur pump is good ur getting a full 12 volts to ur fuel pump then like one of the previous comments said if u have acces to teh right tool check if u have pressure at the fuel rail google t find out the correct amount of pressure or if u want i can check alldata pro for u if u would like after that if u are getting a the correct amount of pressure also like a preivous comment had said now would be a good time to replace ur fuel filter if u havent changed it. it is a good idea to change it for it will benifit ur mpg's. if that doesnt work try to get a hold of a scan tool and look up the codes if u dont know how to do this its better just to take it to ur local gm dealer so they can hook up a TECHII to it to be safe and please if any one wants to talk shit about how i explainded enything suck my 8888 and lets see if u can do a better job :888:

Last edited by tbaxleyjr : 05-19-2007 at 10:10 AM.
chevydude232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:07 AM   #15
chevydude232
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Again, three things are required to get a car to start provided the battery, charging system and starting system are working

spark
fuel
control power to the engine management system

Any of these three things are missing, the car will not start.

VWHobo mentioned the majority of no start problems originate in the ignition system earlier in another post for those interested in learning something.

Again, check for spark (pull a spark plug, hold it next to an engine ground, have some crank the engine. If you have spark, then move on to the fuel system, If you have no spark, fooling with the fuel system will do no good until the ignition system issues are found and fixed.

If you have spark, the proper way to diagnose this is to verify there is fuel pressure @ the fuel rail with the key on engine off. Although one can open the schraeder valve @ the fuel rail test connection and visually see fuel spraying from the rail, the correct way to proceed is to connect a gage to the rail and measure fuel pressure. - no fuel pressure or no fuel spraying from the rail means fuel system issues. - You may have to test the fuel pressure regulator - you then look @ fuel filter (should be changed as part of routine maintenance) and verify you have approximately 12 volts at the fuel pump motor. If you have power and no fuel pressure, then you replace the fuel pump. If you have no power, then you must find out why (no signal from ECM, bad oil pressure switch - GMs use oil pressure as a permissive for the fuel system to operate, fuel pump relay, fuses, etc) - replacing the fuel pump does no good if there is no power to run it.

The shop manual for your car is the most valuable tool - most manufacturers have specific testing procedures and specifications for their ignition and fuel systems.

I think I summarized much of Chevydude's comments ( if I can ever learn to translate IM/Text message language into plain English).

I will agree with his comment - if you are not able or willing to do the correct troubleshooting/diagnostic procedures then take the car to a reputable shop or dealer service department.

Anther comment of mine - many independent shops do as good of work as or better than a dealer service department. It may cost you $60-$80 for the time required to do a good diagnosis in addition to the repair but the money is well spent if the car gets repaired right the first time.
thank u for explaning it better i completly forgot to say about the power to the pump id u dont have any power to the pump there is no need to replace but any way like i had said before i can get all the specifacations for u on the computers at my work we have GM dealer world but if u are more hands on the manul is the way to go good luck
chevydude232 is offline   Reply With Quote