Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
Guinness4life
CF Newbie

Steering wheel noticably remains tilted when driving in a straight line, help:(

Hi, I have a 199 Camry XLI, and for the past month my steering wheel remains tilted to the left. Ive done a wheel alignment and the problem is still there. When im driving on a highway i have to make sure the steering wheel is tilted about 30 degreees to the left so I remain driving in a straight line. There is also very insignificant shaking and vibrating so I doubt its really an alignment problem. I consulted a mechanic and he told me i have to replace my rack end and rod end. After replacement, Im facing the same problem. I took it back to them and he said I have to replace my rack and pinion. I really wish i could get some help, cause replacing the rack and pinion will cost me about $450, where as the rod end and rack end only costed me $50 in total. So I would really appreicate some help and advice on whether it might me something other than the rack and pinion. Thanks alot and Im sorry if I haven't provided enough info in anyway.

Last edited by Guinness4life : 04-04-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Guinness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness4life
Hi, I have a 199 Camry XLI, and for the past month my steering wheel remains tilted to the left. Ive done a wheel alignment and the problem is still there. When im driving on a highway i have to make sure the steering wheel is tilted about 30 degreees to the left so I remain driving in a straight line. There is also very insignificant shaking and vibrating so I doubt its really an alignment problem. I consulted a mechanic and he told me i have to replace my rack end and rod end. After replacement, Im facing the same problem. I took it back to them and he said I have to replace my rack and pinion. I really wish i could get some help, cause replacing the rack and pinion will cost me about $450, where as the rod end and rack end only costed me $50 in total. So I would really appreicate some help and advice on whether it might me something other than the rack and pinion. Thanks alot and Im sorry if I haven't provided enough info in anyway.
Did you have any work carried out on the steering before this problem occured? So when you're driving, and the vehicle is moving in a straight line, the steering wheel is slightly turned?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Guinness4life
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Did you have any work carried out on the steering before this problem occured? So when you're driving, and the vehicle is moving in a straight line, the steering wheel is slightly turned?

Hey cliffy, no, didn't have any work carried out.
Yeah when im moving in a straight line the steering wheel should remain turned to the left about 30 to 40 degrees. One more thing, I use to take my turns fast and never took it easy on the steering wheel. Like when I'm making a U-turn I'de rotate the wheel as fast as I a can. Would that have possibly caused the steering to be in the state it is in right now?
Guinness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

You said you had an alignment and the problem is still there - incorrect spoke position. Well, most alignment shops do not pay any attention to the spoke position when they do an alignment, even though it's part of the alignment and they should. They'll neglect spoke position when adjusting toe. What I'm saying is they SHOULD have centered the spoke position but didn't, as most don't. Take it back and tell them this, and have them finish their alignment job.