Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Jcutsh

I gave some thought to your patriotic rant in the Presidential thread and thought you might enjoy one of our local vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvjIWheGa0
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast
 
jcutsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I gave some thought to your patriotic rant in the Presidential thread and thought you might enjoy one of our local vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvjIWheGa0

Now that is funny. I love Aussies.

It is an honor to find out one's words caused reflection in another person. I could only hope that my little rant was that humorous.


You never did tell me if Sonnabend, meant anything.
__________________
John

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
jcutsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
as in Voice of the Pacific?
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast
 
jcutsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
as in Voice of the Pacific?
I don't know. It was just a term, Me mates in Nam used over and over. It appeared to be some sort of inside joke and I was never let in on it. Not sure of that spelling.

Who is the guy in the video? Can I get an absentee ballot? lol

How are those cane toads working out for ya?
__________________
John

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
jcutsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:28 AM   #5
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Nothing comes to mind, but it may be the way you are spelling it. We have a habit of rolling multiple words into one e.g didgyahaveagoodweekend.

The clip is from a Lamb marketing campaign. Sam is an ex Australian Footballer who started doing the grumpy old man spoof on a local show. His politically incorrect statements struck a chord, that mirrors Australian's habit of telling it as it is, regardless of whether it offends.

"me mates" tells me you sure did mix with Aussies
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:32 AM   #6
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
didgyahaveagoodweekend.
Are you sure there's an aitch in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
...Australian's habit of telling it as it is, regardless of whether it offends.
Calling a spade a bloody shovel as it were.
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:52 AM   #7
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
No there isn't supposed to be an aitch (haitch if you're low life Irish Mick educated), but I thought it might be prudent on this ocassion.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:12 AM   #8
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast
 
jcutsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Australian's habit of telling it as it is, regardless of whether it offends.

"me mates" tells me you sure did mix with Aussies
Great habit.

Ah, mate me dinky-di is not what it was, but we use to barrack for the old aerial ping-pong while enjoying the amber fluid and a few snags. The wosers always made sure I had me franga when we went walk about to blow me dough and hunt for brush pigs.

Ah. I am afraid the mist of time has scuttled my memory. But I use to be pretty good.

I was happy as larry with those mates. And I know you only put shrimp on the barbie for tourists. lol
__________________
John

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
jcutsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 AM   #9
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcutsh
Great habit.

Ah, mate me dinky-di is not what it was, but we use to barrack for the old aerial ping-pong while enjoying the amber fluid and a few snags. The wosers always made sure I had me franga when we went walk about to blow me dough and hunt for brush pigs.

Ah. I am afraid the mist of time has scuttled my memory. But I use to be pretty good.

I was happy as larry with those mates. And I know you only put shrimp on the barbie for tourists. lol
bloody oath mate.
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 AM   #10
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
That "put another shrimp on the barbie" was supposed to be a snag on the barbie, but they figured the US peoples wouldn't know what a snag was.


You know sonno (pronounced sunno), is a slang greeting to a bloke?
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:22 AM   #11
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast
 
jcutsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
bloody oath mate.


From distant climes, o'er wide-spread seas we come,
Though not with much eclat or beat of drum;
True patriots all; for be it understood
We left our country for our country's good.
No private views disgraced our generous zeal,
What urged our travels was our country's weal.

I heard this little verse a thousand times, right after filling our boots together.
It was their motto. Funny the things you hang to in time of war.
I never forgot it, but it was years later before I really understood it.

Thanks Windsonian. Being called a mate is an honor, indeed.
__________________
John

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
jcutsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:29 AM   #12
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcutsh
From distant climes, o'er wide-spread seas we come,
Though not with much eclat or beat of drum;
True patriots all; for be it understood
We left our country for our country's good.
No private views disgraced our generous zeal,
What urged our travels was our country's weal.

I heard this little verse a thousand times, right after filling our boots together.
It was their motto. Funny the things you hang to in time of war.
I never forgot it, but it was years later before I really understood it.

Thanks Windsonian. Being called a mate is an honor, indeed.
sometimes even an honour
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:31 AM   #13
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast
 
jcutsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
That "put another shrimp on the barbie" was supposed to be a snag on the barbie, but they figured the US peoples wouldn't know what a snag was.


You know sonno (pronounced sunno), is a slang greeting to a bloke?

We don't put shrimp on the barbie either. They could always show a sausage in the commercial. We learn pretty quick over here.

Still don't know why they called me sonnabend.
__________________
John

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
jcutsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:35 AM   #14
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast
 
jcutsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
sometimes even an honour

If you and the Brits ever get together and master spelling, you will rule the world.
__________________
John

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
jcutsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 AM   #15
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
We already do. Whatever our Prime Minister says, Bush does.

On another note, Anzac day is coming up (25 April) so there will be a fair few Viet Vets marching with the old diggers. Should be a few Americans in there. They're also holding a dawn service at Gallipoli, Turkey. The services and marches in just about every town in Oz on the day aren't for victory, but to remember the poor sods who died in battle and the terrible waste.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."

Last edited by Wally : 04-05-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.