Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2006, 01:14 AM   #1
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Car Dealer License

After a couple of months of begging my dad for a car to restore, he decided that we could go to junkyards and stuff and restore them, and then sell them, as a hobby, (and so I can get some money )

So I was wondering, what do you need to do to get a car dealer license in Ontario?...

Any advice is good, and thanks in advance
Old 01-30-2006, 02:57 AM   #2
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
After a couple of months of begging my dad for a car to restore, he decided that we could go to junkyards and stuff and restore them, and then sell them, as a hobby, (and so I can get some money )

So I was wondering, what do you need to do to get a car dealer license in Ontario?...

Any advice is good, and thanks in advance

Why don't you just go get a car restore it then sell it locally? Your going to make a buisness out of it? Have a lot and everything? Otherwise everything tells me you don't need that.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:16 AM   #3
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Actually Pythias, it is against the law in most places to sell over a certain amount of cars without a license to do so...although I am not sure how strict most places are with the law. For instance, Ontario's laws on this dictate:
"How many vehicles can an individual or company sell without being registered as a dealer?
None. Ontario's legislation does not provide for a number of vehicles that an individual or company can sell without the benefit of registration. Unless an individual is selling his/her personal vehicle privately, anybody buying or selling vehicles in order to gain a profit - or as part of their regular business operations (e.g. car rental companies, municipalities, or others that need to periodically renew their fleets)ómust be registered as a dealer."

Chris, I'm disappointed with your Google skills, lol. Here you go:
http://www.omvic.on.ca/dealers.htm
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:20 AM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Actually Pythias, it is against the law in most places to sell over a certain amount of cars without a license to do so...although I am not sure how strict most places are with the law. For instance, Ontario's laws on this dictate:
"How many vehicles can an individual or company sell without being registered as a dealer?
None. Ontario's legislation does not provide for a number of vehicles that an individual or company can sell without the benefit of registration. Unless an individual is selling his/her personal vehicle privately, anybody buying or selling vehicles in order to gain a profit - or as part of their regular business operations (e.g. car rental companies, municipalities, or others that need to periodically renew their fleets)ómust be registered as a dealer."

Thanks for that, couldn't find it....google just hates me
Old 01-30-2006, 04:17 AM   #5
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
None. Ontario's legislation does not provide for a number of vehicles that an individual or company can sell without the benefit of registration. Unless an individual is selling his/her personal vehicle privately, anybody buying or selling vehicles in order to gain a profit - or as part of their regular business operations (e.g. car rental companies, municipalities, or others that need to periodically renew their fleets)—must be registered as a dealer."

Wow, so you can't privately sell a car in Ontario without a License? Thats nuts.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:22 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Wow, so you can't privately sell a car in Ontario without a License? Thats nuts.
No, you can't sell a car for profit, but for example, you can sell your old car if you're getting a new one.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

What if, for arguments sake, you bought a car, and sold it for more than you bought it for.....on numerous occations, but just played ablivious to the law? lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:25 AM   #8
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
What if, for arguments sake, you bought a car, and sold it for more than you bought it for.....on numerous occations, but just played ablivious to the law? lol
Just don't get caught
Old 01-30-2006, 06:27 AM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Just don't get caught
Exactly!.....*hopes no officials heard him*

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 01-30-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

For people who don't know already:

Anythings legal, as long as no one else saw (or can prove) you did it.

Just kidding.... in a way.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #11
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Believe it or not, they actually pay people at the Department of Motor Vehicles to look at car ads and such and see if the same phone number is listed for more than one car. If so, they set up a sort of sting operation (sometimes also involving the local police) to attempt to find out if the person is selling multiple cars for profit. They call these people "curbstoners". A curbstoner is a person who try to pass themselves off as a private individual selling a car but actually have many used cars they are selling.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:49 PM   #12
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Exactly!.....*hopes no officials heard him*
Bad Cliffy, you're the one thats a rent a cop which is a, ermmm, slight promotion from civilian
J/P with ya bro you know we love ya
Old 01-31-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Bad Cliffy, you're the one thats a rent a cop which is a, ermmm, slight promotion from civilian
J/P with ya bro you know we love ya
It's ok, 'bro' lol......we all take the p*ss here. And actually, Rent-a-Cops, due to being a short promotion from a civilian.....can, on occasion, be quite dodgy lol

Old 01-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #14
Silpheed
CF Newbie

You can sell your own vehicle privately, and make a profit from it, as long as it is your own personal vehicle. The governement monitors vehicle transfers and will notice when people are constantly buying and selling vehicles. They consider that a business and can charge you for "curbsiding" (as it is known in Ontario). There is no fine line on how many vehicles it takes to become a curbsider, but if they are suspicious they will charge you and let a judge decide that.
I know all this because I've come accross case law from these convictions. I hope this helps, even though it is an old discussion.
Here's the new website for becoming a dealer:
http://www.omvic.on.ca/info/registra...on_default.htm
Silpheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:27 AM   #15
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

yeah... so how IS that business going Chris?