Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 PM   #1
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

TopGear Possibly coming to US?

Quote:
Hit TV show Top Gear could be heading to the US, after the BBC revealed it is in talks to take it over the Atlantic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6539111.stm

Quote:
It said the US show would be the same as the UK version, but focusing on American cars, such as Cadillacs.

US stars will also test their driving skills against mystery racing driver The Stig, the newspaper added.

A spokeswoman for the BBC confirmed that BBC Worldwide - the corporation's commercial arm - had been in talks, but could not confirm details.

"BBC Worldwide has had exploratory conversations with the US networks to bring a local version of Top Gear to the US, but there is not yet a deal on the table," she said.

Top Gear has already been shown in the US on the Discovery Channel.

In November 2005 it won an international Emmy award for the best non-scripted entertainment show.

Top Gear made a successful comeback to BBC Two in January, four months after Richard Hammond was involved in a serious high-speed crash while filming.

Last month an estimated eight million people tuned in to see the last episode in the series - BBC Two's largest audience for 10 years.

The show is due to return for a new series in the autumn.

Sounds like a cool idea to me, I would like to see more Top Gear. If they focus on cars americans are familiar with I think they would get more attention here, so I think this will be a good thing for them if it all goes well.

What do you guys think?
azkid110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkid110
Sounds like a cool idea to me, I would like to see more Top Gear. If they focus on cars americans are familiar with I think they would get more attention here, so I think this will be a good thing for them if it all goes well.

What do you guys think?
From my point of view I'd prefer it to stay in the UK, as I'm sure would all/most other UK members. I don't know whether they'll just make a couple of series' in the US as a kind of spin off to the show, or whether they'll move it there permenently or what....I would hazard a guess that it would be more of a piss take on US cars than anything else though, no offence intended!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

From what I understood, there would be two different Top Gears. It sounds like a great idea, but I'd still download the British one
Old 04-10-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
True_Brit
Has a new job!

who in america is hated by most of the country, has an anti-them protest consisting mostly of mothers???

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:15 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
who in america is hated by most of the country, has an anti-them protest consisting mostly of mothers???
Moron know-nothings from England?

I give up. Why don't you enlighten us with your vast knowledge of all things American. Who?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

I think they might as well just air the British one here. We all know Clarkson already.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:26 AM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
I think they might as well just air the British one here. We all know Clarkson already.

But most people in North America would rather watch them discuss cars we get here. I'd be happy either way though, honestly lol.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:48 AM   #8
chillin92386
CF Newbie

I do love top gear a whole lot, but part of the reason it works is because it has jeremy clarkson. His wit and sarcasm help make the show more than something like motorweek here in the states. I don't think here it would be as entertaining. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it but I'm with chrisknows, I'll download the british one still. Thats the real top gear.
Plus i have a feeling that they would put too much of an emphasis on american cars, and as much as i hate to root against the home team, the only american cars i even like are the new vette, i imagine the new camaro when it comes out, and old muscle cars.
Oh well, when it's all said and done, if the american version can be anywhere as fun as the british one, I'll

Last edited by chillin92386 : 04-10-2007 at 12:50 AM.
chillin92386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

I'd rather watch the UK version. I actually like the Brit charm of the show, which is odd because the British accent usually annoys me to no end. I also like the fact that I don't know very much about the cars they showcase. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of American cars, but I already see enough of them on TV and in the magazines.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
I'd rather watch the UK version. I actually like the Brit charm of the show, which is odd because the British accent usually annoys me to no end. I also like the fact that I don't know very much about the cars they showcase. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of American cars, but I already see enough of them on TV and in the magazines.
I 2nd that (except the part about the accent)!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
I 2nd that (except the part about the accent)!
What our accent doesn't annoy you? Or you like everything about the show apart from the accents?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Moron know-nothings from England?

I give up. Why don't you enlighten us with your vast knowledge of all things American. Who?
what i meant was who would e the ideal candidate to host the show in america?

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
what i meant was who would e the ideal candidate to host the show in america?
I nominate vwhobo.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I nominate vwhobo.
Sorry, I only have a face for radio.

Did I ever tell you I used to do a local radio show (with another guy) called "Rock 101"? We played obscure early rock. It was educational.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #15
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Sorry, I only have a face for radio.

Did I ever tell you I used to do a local radio show (with another guy) called "Rock 101"? We played obscure early rock. It was educational.
I don't remember you saying anything about a radio show, but I do remember a while ago you said that you weren't a looker. Can't find the thread anywhere though.