Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2007, 04:05 AM   #1
teflondon
CF Newbie

dilemma :(

hey guys, im still looking for a first car, but i have a dilemma.

i dont know if i should get a reliable safe cheap car that will just get me around or if i want to buy a sports car just for the weekends that i can work on and modify.

my options are pretty much honda accord, mustang gt 5.0 (86-88), a 1990 rx7 or maybe an e36 bmw. the most logical choice to me was to buy the accord this year, and when i have enough, then buy a sports car to fool around with?
teflondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
Andrew0261
CF Enthusiast

well gas can become a issue here so can insurance can you afford to pay for insurance and gas for a 5.0 Mustang sure it fast as hell but is it affordable? Accord may not be the fastest on the block but cheaper insurance and gas RX-7 well insurance should be up there a bit i guess but gas shouldnt be to bad and it get moving pretty good. The BMW should be ok on gas and have ok power not sure about insurance tho it should be ok i guess
Blue 1994 Camaro Z28 (Stock)
Andrew0261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
teflondon
CF Newbie

i think the smartest thing to do would be get that accord. i might even get it free. then when i work ill buy a project car.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondon
i think the smartest thing to do would be get that accord. i might even get it free. then when i work ill buy a project car.

You're probably be correct. The BMW would be a good compromise between sporty and "nice and safe", but if it breaks (and it probably will), it won't be cheap.

Go for the Honda at first.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew0261
well gas can become a issue here so can insurance can you afford to pay for insurance and gas for a 5.0 Mustang sure it fast as hell but is it affordable? Accord may not be the fastest on the block but cheaper insurance and gas RX-7 well insurance should be up there a bit i guess but gas shouldnt be to bad and it get moving pretty good. The BMW should be ok on gas and have ok power not sure about insurance tho it should be ok i guess
Look into the insurance part, my insurance is based off of the age of the car, not what it has under the hood. It was cheaper for my houshold to insure me on a 1991 Laser RS Turbo than on a SUV. The 90s RX7 or 90s Mustang might not be that expensive if you wanted an option that combined both.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Good call.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
teflondon
CF Newbie

so now, what project car lol, pretty much a rx7 or a mustang gt... an iroc z wouldnt be bad either, but more gas and working on a rotary would be kind of cool.

Last edited by teflondon : 04-12-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #8
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
so now, what project car lol, pretty much a rx7 or a mustang gt... an iroc z wouldnt be bad either, but more gas and working on a rotary would be kind of cool.
The IROC Z burns as much gas as the RX-7 (give or take 1-2 mpg).
Old 04-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
teflondon
CF Newbie

yeah i know lol, i meant the iroc and mustang, but i hear the rotary's have crappy gas mileage too.