Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2007, 04:17 AM   #1
hardwhite
CF Newbie

Eclipse engine question

i am looking into buying a 98' eclipse gsx. it is for sale for 5000 but the engine lower end has to be replaced. what does this mean and how much would it cost to get fixed? should i just look for a different car? it also has many mods. any info would be very much appreciated
hardwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwhite
i am looking into buying a 98' eclipse gsx. it is for sale for 5000 but the engine lower end has to be replaced. what does this mean and how much would it cost to get fixed? should i just look for a different car? it also has many mods. any info would be very much appreciated
i dont know what the engine lower end means, but i would say get another car. You said it's modded which means it was probably abused and thats why something happened to the engine.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
hkyplayer92
CF Newbie

Yeah, i would have to agree. If it is moded then it has beatin up for sure. Would this eclipse be ur first car? If so i would get something else first, just to get you from a to b. Then really think about gettin one if ur going to mod it out. I thought i was going to mod out my 03 eclipse, but now that i no what else to out there i wish i would have chosen a different car.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Alright first off from my perspective an eclipse gsx is one of the best cars around. Running low 12's for $700 is insane. Awd and turbo. Now as for your problem yeah if it's been modded a bit then this car has had it's run. You'll def need to rebuild the bottom end of the engine. It's pretty pricey but well worth it and I suggest when rebuilding to buy a harmonic balance shaft eliminator kit to take out that balance shaft that is useless. Good luck on your dsm and hope you buy it you won't regret it

Oh yeah one more thing this eclipse will knock the crap out of any other eclipse above 2000 aside from the 06 gt wich pulls 263hp.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.

Last edited by Spanky2324 : 04-02-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:30 AM   #5
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

lower end = block and all internals.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:08 AM   #6
hardwhite
CF Newbie

yea i figured that if it wouldn't cost too much to fix then i'd get it and it was already modded which would save me money cuz they person said he put at least 5000 worth of mods into it. but if its gonna be expensive and complicated i'll just get one stock and mod it myself. and this is my third car now
Old 04-03-2007, 03:08 AM   #7
hardwhite
CF Newbie

thanx for all the info tho, i jsut didnt know what replacing the lower end was and no one i asked did either
Old 04-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Oh whoops gotta a little carried away without telling the rebuild part. He put $5000 in?? How much hp does the car have ? Ah and a question for you how fast are you trying to make this car???

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
hardwhite
CF Newbie

you said i could spend just $700 and make it a 12 second car. What would that 700 go to to do all that?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:17 AM   #10
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

if you buy the car, i'd plan on replacing the engine w/ an earlier short block... the 95-99 motors have bad problems w/ crankwalk (just google it) and it doesn't seem that anyone really has a fix for it yet. hence the bad bottom end...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
if you buy the car, i'd plan on replacing the engine w/ an earlier short block... the 95-99 motors have bad problems w/ crankwalk (just google it) and it doesn't seem that anyone really has a fix for it yet. hence the bad bottom end...
OMG I hate the crankwalk and another problem is boost creep. As for the $700 idea you have to be a do it yourself type guy and know how on the 4g63 engine but it can be done. Have you decided what to do?

Old 04-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Crankwalk isn't as common as everyone seems to believe.

The 6 bolt is a better engine, but it is NOT a direct swap. Either a kit or some fabrication IS required to put a 6 bolt in a 95-99.

The 6 bolt has lower compression pistons too, which is good. More boost.

Find a 16G on ebay, 16g flanges, bigger injectors, and Megasquirt. Install the turbo and injectors, and tune with Megasquirt. LOADS of power, for relatively cheap.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:41 PM   #13
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwhite
you said i could spend just $700 and make it a 12 second car. What would that 700 go to to do all that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
As for the $700 idea you have to be a do it yourself type guy and know how on the 4g63 engine but it can be done.
I'll translate Spanky's post for you hardwhite: HE DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE. He was talkin' out his ass, probably some shit he heard on Fast & Furious.

A 6 bolt swap isn't worth it. You haven't mentioned your budget, but if you're trying to buy a $5000 GSX hoping that it can be fixed, your budget isn't much and you aren't in the know.

If YOU buy this car, look to dump at least $4500 more bucks in it to get it running reliably.

Consider this: Few things are more fustrating in the automotive world then buying a car you like and not being able to drive it for MONTHS.

If I was your mom, I'd say keep looking.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:36 AM   #14
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
I'll translate Spanky's post for you hardwhite: HE DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE. He was talkin' out his ass, probably some shit he heard on Fast & Furious.

A 6 bolt swap isn't worth it. You haven't mentioned your budget, but if you're trying to buy a $5000 GSX hoping that it can be fixed, your budget isn't much and you aren't in the know.

If YOU buy this car, look to dump at least $4500 more bucks in it to get it running reliably.

Consider this: Few things are more fustrating in the automotive world then buying a car you like and not being able to drive it for MONTHS.

If I was your mom, I'd say keep looking.
No what it is you that doesn't know shit. It has been done so don't tell me. No I don't know how to do it but it can be done. I'm not gonna feed your stupidness

Old 04-15-2007, 12:54 AM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
No what it is you that doesn't know shit. It has been done so don't tell me. No I don't know how to do it but it can be done. I'm not gonna feed your stupidness
Good job. But just for the sake of full disclosure, why don't you tell ME how you intend to make it into a 12 second car for $700. It may be true that that Twhat doesn't know shit, but I certainly do... And I'm betting that you're full of bullsh*t at worst or full of internet car modifying knowledge at best. Go ahead, the floor is yours. Tell me exactly how to do it, and don't forget to include links and prices. We'll all be waiting.

You're up Twinkie.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote