Old 04-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Wally
I Know More Than You

Holden Statesman released in China

Rebadged but it's a Statesman
Old 04-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I wouldn't think there is a huge demand for those in China lol.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I wouldn't think there is a huge demand for those in China lol.
You're kidding, right? The automobile industry in China is booming due to vastly increased personal incomes and prices on cars coming down after joining the WTO which makes importation easier. Sales of new cars in China has grown something along the lines of 35% PER YEAR for the last several years. They are now #2 in sales volume of new cars, behind only the USA and are projected to overtake us sometime in the next 5-10 years. Chinese are no different than Americans, Canadians, Australians or Martians for that matter. They all want to keep up with the Joneses.

GM has made a huge commitment to sell cars over there already. Cadillac is selling for or five different models in China right now. The SLS is selling for almost $100k (stupid money) and are going out the door fast.

So how about explaining to us why wouldn't there be a "huge demand for those" or any other car for that matter in China. I'd love to know why.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

What's written below is what I know from what I've read (not much) and learned in school (still not much) about China, none of it is necessarily true.

I thought the country was still developing and, being a communism would mean that everyone makes the same amount of money. From my understanding, lots of people work in sweatshops and on rice farms.

Also, from what I know, domestic luxury vehicles in other parts of the world are seen as tanks.

I guess with that many people living there, there's going to be a demand though.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
What's written below is what I know from what I've read (not much) and learned in school (still not much) about China, none of it is necessarily true.

I thought the country was still developing and, being a communism would mean that everyone makes the same amount of money. From my understanding, lots of people work in sweatshops and on rice farms.

Also, from what I know, domestic luxury vehicles in other parts of the world are seen as tanks.

I guess with that many people living there, there's going to be a demand though.
Okay, so then explain this to me. By your own admission you spend your life on a computer, and I know from experience that you're always searching for information or whatever. Why is it whan you get called for saying something completely off base, you claim to have no knowledge except what you learned at school.

Something doesn't make sense.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Okay, so then explain this to me. By your own admission you spend your life on a computer, and I know from experience that you're always searching for information or whatever. Why is it when you get called for saying something completely off base, you claim to have no knowledge except what you learned at school.

Something doesn't make sense.
No, I do that when you call my claims lol. When you say something, odds are it's right. Why would I start arguing about something I know nothing about? If some other member (let's call him Cliffy) challenged one of my statements, I would make sure he was right - do some research and tell him who was actually right - no point arguing against facts.

I do spend a lot of time looking stuff up, but stuff that interest me; not so much the Chinese economy. lol
Old 04-16-2007, 01:33 AM   #7
Ferny
CF Newbie

Although China is technichally a communist state they really aren't anymore. My history teacher actually went there last summer and was surprised at how different it was then he expected.
Ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:04 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
If some other member (let's call him Cliffy) challenged one of my statements, I would make sure he was rightl
Couldn't you have called him ChrisV or something? I'm in the firing line now!

With regard to the Chinese motor industry, the most recent news I heard of it was that Shanghai Automotive had bought the rights to MG Rover and are about to re-release the comapany so to speak. This alone says to me that China has a booming motor industry, for them to even consider buying Rover. I guess in this scenario only time will tell, but as far as the car Wally showed us goes, it certainly looks as good as any European/Domestic rival's car would be cosmetically!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:28 AM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Couldn't you have called him ChrisV or something? I'm in the firing line now!

With regard to the Chinese motor industry, the most recent news I heard of it was that Shanghai Automotive had bought the rights to MG Rover and are about to re-release the company so to speak. This alone says to me that China has a booming motor industry, for them to even consider buying Rover. I guess in this scenario only time will tell, but as far as the car Wally showed us goes, it certainly looks as good as any European/Domestic rival's car would be cosmetically!
Yeah, but when was the last time ChrisV was wrong?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:31 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Yeah, but when was the last time ChrisV was wrong?
When he said the Fiat Multipla wasn't ugly, lol.....jk.

You didn't say anythin about me being wrong, you just said if I was to challenge one of your statements, you'd check that I was correct......I guess what you're saying is that there's no need to cross referrence ChrisV's info, lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 04-16-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:06 AM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
When he said the Fiat Multipla wasn't ugly, lol.....jk.

You didn't say anythin about me being wrong, you just said if I was to challenge one of your statements, you'd check that I was correct......I guess what you're saying is that there's no need to cross referrence ChrisV's info, lol
ChrisV will argue with you until you think your information is wrong...and he'll make you cry a couple of times along the way . You're just the one that gets the blame most of the time here lol
Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 AM   #12
Wally
I Know More Than You

China potential is huge. Chris_Knows, my daughter came back from a visit to China recently and commented how there is indeed a vast population that appear to be subsistance survivors, however with such a large population there are conspicuously many that are wealthy. They all seem to like drowning their food with beer though.

Holden are selling the commodores as knock down packs for assembly in China, rebadged as American saloons to garner the prestige town car tag. The units sold to the middle east are shipped complete from the Oz factory, but similarly rebadged American.

Interesting how the Oz, Middle East and Asian markets still cater to the RWD cars, but in the US, Ford and GM are reconciling the new emmissions targets which may see RWD disappear within a few years in favour of FWD.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:41 AM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
China potential is huge. Chris_Knows, my daughter came back from a visit to China recently and commented how there is indeed a vast population that appear to be subsistence survivors, however with such a large population there are conspicuously many that are wealthy. They all seem to like drowning their food with beer though.

Holden are selling the commodores as knock down packs for assembly in China, rebadged as American saloons to garner the prestige town car tag. The units sold to the middle east are shipped complete from the Oz factory, but similarly rebadged American.

Interesting how the Oz, Middle East and Asian markets still cater to the RWD cars, but in the US, Ford and GM are reconciling the new emissions targets which may see RWD disappear within a few years in favour of FWD.
Disappear is an exaggeration, right?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Disappear is an exaggeration, right?
When he uses the word disappear, it means he doesn't have as strong a grasp on the future of the US automotive market as he thinks he does. The use of RWD platforms for cars in the US is on the upswing, and looks to be for the forseeable future. And that doesn't even include the light truck market because, well... They're not cars.

In other words, completely diregard his last paragraph in that post. The opinion/information is incorrect.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #15
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
When he uses the word disappear, it means he doesn't have as strong a grasp on the future of the US automotive market as he thinks he does. The use of RWD platforms for cars in the US is on the upswing, and looks to be for the foreseeable future. And that doesn't even include the light truck market because, well... They're not cars.

In other words, completely disregard his last paragraph in that post. The opinion/information is incorrect.
Gotcha...Kinda reminds me of Godlaus' FWD thread.