Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Kareoketina
CF Newbie

Help please....1989 Chrysler Dynasty No Spark

Oh Dear. I know my car is getting older as I am. I've put on 189,000. I do regular oil changes and check fluids all the time.It's a 3 Litre Engine and the car has a full load...everything is 'powered'. In the last few months I've replaced the Battery, Alternator and Motor Mount....all new. The other day I was driving along minding my own business when the car just quit !...It turns over, but won't start. So thinking it was the coil,(because there was no spark) I replaced that, but it's not the coil. I checked the distributor cap, all my spark plugs,(new from last summer)checked the inside fuses, the rotor and even tried hot wiring it, but to no avail. Can someone suggest what I could check next before I have to send it to the Car Hospital where they will charge me an arm and a leg?....lol
Thanks
Tina
Kareoketina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 AM   #2
Wally
I Know More Than You

You getting a switched signal to the coil?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
Kareoketina
CF Newbie

I'm a dozeball. I don't know what you mean by switched signal. I placed the wire that goes from the coil to the distributor very close to watch for a spark when I hit the starter and there isn't any spark. Does that help?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:46 AM   #4
Wally
I Know More Than You

The negative side of the coil is switched. This can be directly from the distributer, a signal amplifier or via an ECU. Quickest way to test is with a dwell meter.

Seeing as you have been playing around in the engine bay, do you think you may have dislodged a wire?

I'm not familiar with your car or engine, but there will be some sought of signal generator...maybe inside the dizzy, a crank angle sensor, ...
Old 04-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
Kareoketina
CF Newbie

Thank you for your help so far. I have done all those things suggested in the replies to my post. No spark.....but it continues to turn over.
I do not know how to run the 'diagnostic' thing in the car and.... of course....have no Manuel...
Oh Dear....
Old 04-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Unless you are able and prepared to perform the proper diagnostic procedure, you might just as well call the tow truck and let someone who is take care of your car. The very first step in and automotive diagnostic/repair is to have a manual AND to read it. You haven't even filled square one.

The potential causes of your no-start are several, and without have DTC's as a starting point even more so. It could be anything from the SBEC or optical pickup to something seemingly unrelated such as the ASD or the CTS. It could be something as simple as a dead rotor.

Bottom line is that if you want your car fixed right, take it to some one who knows how to troubleshoot it and how to repair it. If you want to keep taking shots in the dark and needlessly replacing parts, continue on the path you're on.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #7
Kareoketina
CF Newbie

Thank you all. You are so right. I'm stuck in that first spot. I had the car towed this morning for the appointment I made for tomorrow with a properly established well known Repair Shop nearby. In case this helps someone else, I'll post a reply and let you all know what had to be repaired.

Thanks again. It was worth a try.