Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2007, 05:20 AM   #1
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Rear camber adjustment?

I drive a FWD '97 Talon, currently at 126,500 miles. I have been experiencing some vibration at speeds of 60+, so I thought it might be the tires. I have new tires on it (fresh balance) but the vibration still exists. I haven't had an alignment in a few years, so since I got new tires I knew I should get an adjustment as well. I took it in to NTB.

After waiting for about an hour, the guys come in and has the look (I know the look very well as I'm used to it with this car, lol). Digressing...he says the front end was in alignment (didn't need adjustment), but the rear camber was off by 2 degrees. He said they couldn't adjust the rear camber because the bolts wouldn't turn. I didn't get charged, but I would like to fix it if possible.

I haven't lowered this car and it has the all the original suspension parts (to my knowledge). I was under the impression the rear couldn't be adjusted, but it was my mistake, only the 1G's were that way. The 2G's can apparently. I've heard of camber kits to fix this, but I'm wondering if that's the direction I need to go with this. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks!
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
I drive a FWD '97 Talon, currently at 126,500 miles. I have been experiencing some vibration at speeds of 60+, so I thought it might be the tires. I have new tires on it (fresh balance) but the vibration still exists. I haven't had an alignment in a few years, so since I got new tires I knew I should get an adjustment as well. I took it in to NTB.

After waiting for about an hour, the guys come in and has the look (I know the look very well as I'm used to it with this car, lol). Digressing...he says the front end was in alignment (didn't need adjustment), but the rear camber was off by 2 degrees. He said they couldn't adjust the rear camber because the bolts wouldn't turn. I didn't get charged, but I would like to fix it if possible.

I haven't lowered this car and it has the all the original suspension parts (to my knowledge). I was under the impression the rear couldn't be adjusted, but it was my mistake, only the 1G's were that way. The 2G's can apparently. I've heard of camber kits to fix this, but I'm wondering if that's the direction I need to go with this. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks!
You had the correct impression. Whoever told you different was wrong. There is no provision for adjusting camber or caster from the factory either front or rear. The only factory adjustment is for toe.

This is what DSM factory service information states;

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM
CASTER ADJUSTMENT
Caster is factory set and cannot be adjusted. If caster is not within specifications, replace or repair the bent or broken parts as necessary.

CAMBER ADJUSTMENT
Camber is factory set and cannot be adjusted. If camber is not within specifications, replace or repair the bent or broken parts as necessary.

Pretty cut and dry. Whatever bolt he was trying to turn wasn't going to adjust what he thought it was going to. It's a good thing he didn't break something. Maybe it's time for you to find an new service provider.

At any rate you basically have two choices. Have someone who is competent inspect your rear suspension and determine what is causing the camber to be out of adjustment and the affect the appropriate repair. Or you could simply throw a camber kit at it and hope for the best. Eibach makes a very nice kit.

You actually have a third choice. Take it in for alignment to a place that knows what it is that they're doing. If the individual didn't know the camber was non-adjustable, he may not have been accomplishing the alignment correctly. In other words, your only problem may be the idiot working on your car.

P.S. No matter how hard you try, you can't align a vibration out of a car. Vibration is caused by faulty/out of round/unbalanced tires, faulty/worn suspension or steering components or perhaps faulty/bent/unbalanced driveline parts.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Last edited by vwhobo : 04-18-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: I hate misspelled words!
vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I appreciate the advice. The problem now is going to be finding another place to get the adjustment and/or suspension looked at. I may need to get some suspension parts replaced since the age of the car and the mileage on the originals.

I pretty much lost my respect for them when they didn't know what Kelly Springfield Tires were (which is what I have on the front).
Old 04-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
Wally
I Know More Than You

Kelly Springfield sang that song "I wish I had Jesse's girl..." didn't he?

So the guy put the car on the jig and checked the front alignment for free? You must be a good looker.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Kelly Springfield sang that song "I wish I had Jesse's girl..." didn't he?

So the guy put the car on the jig and checked the front alignment for free? You must be a good looker.
I thought it was that "I just don't know what to do with myself" song...
Old 04-20-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
I appreciate the advice. The problem now is going to be finding another place to get the adjustment and/or suspension looked at. I may need to get some suspension parts replaced since the age of the car and the mileage on the originals.

I pretty much lost my respect for them when they didn't know what Kelly Springfield Tires were (which is what I have on the front).
Do you plan to lower it. Is your talon a non turbo???

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:46 AM   #7
97Talonchik
discombobulated

No I don't plan on lowering it. I already drag on the front on some driveways. It's non-turbo, ESI.