Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
For the transmission pundits

Might be interesting to someone

http://editorial.carsales.com.au/car...w/2535811.aspx
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."

Last edited by Wally : 04-21-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
oplease19
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 43
I don't know if that's going to be "state of the art" - what about the Dual Clutch Sequential Gearbox that several companies are perfecting? I think Porsche is going to sell it soon for the Cayman.
oplease19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
I don't know if that's going to be "state of the art" - what about the Dual Clutch Sequential Gearbox that several companies are perfecting? I think Porsche is going to sell it soon for the Cayman.
Why are you even comparing a DSG which is already in use in several cars and a fully automatic transmission? Apples and oranges, or... Are you a moron?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
oplease19
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Why are you even comparing a DSG which is already in use in several cars and a fully automatic transmission? Apples and oranges, or... Are you a moron?
I'm sure I'm not a moron, I'm sure I'm nowhere near as big an asshole as you, and I'm 99.9% sure I'm much more intelligent than you. Given that you have 8,000 + posts, I'm also 99.9% sure my mental health is far better than yours.
Now, to the topic at hand - the article I read was an interview with a Porsche exec about their DSG being used as a replacement for their automatic. I got the impression that it functioned fully automatically. As for DSGs being in use in several cars already, aren't they super-expensive exotics? Again, from what I read I got the impression that DSGs would be used in mainstream cars soon, providing better acceleration and better fuel economy as a substitute for aotomatics. If I or anyone else is wrong about something, have a civilized discussion with them. It's okay if you're a mental defective devoid of all social graces, I guess, but at least make an effort to hide what an asshole you are, as well as your residency in your mother's basement.
oplease19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
I'm sure I'm not a moron,
Well, you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
I'm sure I'm nowhere near as big an asshole as you,
Wrong again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
and I'm 99.9% sure I'm much more intelligent than you.
Congratulations, you just won the trifecta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
Given that you have 8,000 + posts, I'm also 99.9% sure my mental health is far better than yours.
A high post count is now an indicator of mental health? Is there any such thing as a quadfecta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
Now, to the topic at hand
What's that, your itsy bitsy wee wee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
the article I read was an interview with a Porsche exec about their DSG being used as a replacement for their automatic. I got the impression that it functioned fully automatically.
So the entire problem with this thread is that instead of having a full grasp of what it is you're speaking, maybe even doing some research, you're blaming be for the fact that you're a moron. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
As for DSGs being in use in several cars already, aren't they super-expensive exotics?
Read my last comment... Again. Unless you consider a GTI that you can purchase new for $23k or so a "super-expensive exotic", your assumptions will once again be wrong. Big surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
Again, from what I read I got the impression that DSGs would be used in mainstream cars soon, providing better acceleration and better fuel economy as a substitute for aotomatics.
They currently are in limited numbers. Once again, do your homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
If I or anyone else is wrong about something, have a civilized discussion with them. It's okay if you're a mental defective devoid of all social graces, I guess, but at least make an effort to hide what an asshole you are, as well as your residency in your mother's basement.
And is this your example of a "civilized discussion"? I'm sorry that you were born with about the same mental capacity as the new pimple on my ass, but that's just your lot in life. The next time you want to have a civilized discussion, start out by having a clue as to what it is you're speaking about. For someone who is by your calculation mentally inferior to you, I seem to know substantially more on the subject, and probably any subject that has to do with automobiles than you. I think your best bet would be to go crawl back under your rock.


Did I mention your are a moron? Have a nice day.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
oplease19
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 43
You're right, a high post count isn't necessarily an indicator of mental health. But there is a whole world of experiences and knowledge out there. Choosing to spend enough time to make nearly 9,000 posts and relishing being an asshole seems a sign of emotional problems.

Last edited by oplease19 : 05-01-2007 at 09:43 PM.
oplease19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #7
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
You're right, a high post count isn't necessarily an indicator of mental health. But there is a whole world of experiences and knowledge out there. Choosing to spend enough time to make nearly 9,000 posts and relishing being an asshole seems a sign of emotional problems.

9,000 posts in 4 years isn't that bad. Thats 6 posts a day.

Stop trying to look stupid.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:47 AM   #8
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Of all the gin joints in all the discussion boards in all the world wide web, oplease19 walks into VWhobo.

Direct shifter gearbags are hardly automatics in the conventional sense of having things like torque convertors, sun gears, etc.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:46 AM   #9
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
With 7 speed, would i be correct in saying that the shifting would NEED to be more intuitive to effectively make use of the extra cogs?
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:11 AM   #10
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
More intuitive? No, the same math in one more data set with different numbers. RPM vs Throttle input vs gear ratio vs speed
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:40 AM   #11
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
More intuitive? No, the same math in one more data set with different numbers. RPM vs Throttle input vs gear ratio vs speed
But i can't imagine that just making extra changes would necessarily increase the driving performance (performance not intended to mean speed/acceleration etc etc....... necessarily)
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
But i can't imagine that just making extra changes would necessarily increase the driving performance (performance not intended to mean speed/acceleration etc etc....... necessarily)

Well, what RPM, speed, and throttle input is being used will allow the TCU to pick which gear is best for the current situation. Slam on the gas, and it will downshift appropriately based on these parameters. Let off the gas, and it will upshift based on these parameters.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:45 AM   #13
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Well, what RPM, speed, and throttle input is being used will allow the TCU to pick which gear is best for the current situation. Slam on the gas, and it will downshift appropriately based on these parameters. Let off the gas, and it will upshift based on these parameters.
I realise how an input--> calculation --> output system works (roughly ) ... But I think with the extra gears, the changes would need more intuition for a better system. It was more a statement based on the fact that the article mentions the better intuitiveness in the shifting as a positive.
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.