Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
JordanBruce
CF Newbie

Question Some little terrors stole my number plates

About a year ago someone stole my number plates. Later tha year I started to recieve fines for speeding offences I did not commit. Eventually I went to the police and It was all sorted out. What had happened is that someone had put my number plates on a stolen car that is the same make and colour of mine. When this stolen car went through speed cameras, i got sent the fines. Does anyone know of a device or something that can stop people from stealing my number plates again?
JordanBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
Simon67
CF Newbie

Thumbs up I have found a small website offering a very cheap device to prevent your problem

As mentioned above I have found a website. It is still under construction but they say they sould be in full business mode by wednesday. They offer a device for only £2, the cheapest in its category i think. The web address is <Link Removed>. I would advise taking a look. Hope This Helps,
Simon

Last edited by Cliffy : 04-23-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Simon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

How about reporting stolen plates before crooks have a chance to abuse them?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
True_Brit
Has a new job!

turn them into stickers like rally cars!
or as jedimario mentions!!!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Wow, a spammer using two screen names. A+ for effort!

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Is it possible to make it any more obvious?
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:16 AM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞

If someone steals your license plates, you'd need new ones...Wouldn't you have to report that your old ones were stolen? lol.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:40 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
If someone steals your license plates, you'd need new ones...Wouldn't you have to report that your old ones were stolen? lol.
Not in the UK Chris. Unlike the US and Canada, when a vehicle is initially registered in the UK, it's assigned a registration number that follows it for life based on date of manufacture (L reg, X reg, etc)... Unless someone goes to the trouble and expense to change it to what is called a "cherished number/registration". It's a bit more involved than that but you get the idea.

None the less, the number plates you see on UK vehicles are purchased at the owners expense from vendors throughout the country. You and I would have to report the theft and then get new plates from the Department of Motor Vehicles, or whatever you guys call it in Canuckland. Got it?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:49 AM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Not in the UK Chris. Unlike the US and Canada, when a vehicle is initially registered in the UK, it's assigned a registration number that follows it for life based on date of manufacture (L reg, X reg, etc)... Unless someone goes to the trouble and expense to change it to what is called a "cherished number/registration". It's a bit more involved than that but you get the idea.

None the less, the number plates you see on UK vehicles are purchased at the owners expense from vendors throughout the country. You and I would have to report the theft and then get new plates from the Department of Motor Vehicles, or whatever you guys call it in Canuckland. Got it?
You would still need to report the plates as stolen, regardless, as chances are if they're stolen they'll be used in crimes on other vehicles (as with the Original Poster's issue). I see what you mean in relation to ChrisK's post though, I'm merely adding input.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 AM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

So you would buy a new plate with the same code?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:49 AM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
So you would buy a new plate with the same code?
If the plates have been stolen I'd imagine the DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency) would just issue new plates (same number as before), as the old ones would have been reported as stolen and wouldn't match the vehicle they were being used on (the illegal one). All it would take would be a simple check by the police to determine what car is the legal one. The same goes for speed cameras etc.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 04-23-2007, 02:51 AM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
If the plates have been stolen I'd imagine the DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency) would just issue new plates (same number as before), as the old ones would have been reported as stolen and wouldn't match the vehicle they were being used on (the illegal one). All it would take would be a simple check by the police to determine what car is the legal one. The same goes for speed cameras etc.
But what if (as specified by the OP) they were used on the same car?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:59 AM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
But what if (as specified by the OP) they were used on the same car?
It's highly unlikely to happen like this, as the chances of them being used on an identical car are very rare, usually a thief will stick dodgy plates on any old car (stolen or otherwise) to comit minor traffic offences or theft of fuel etc. If they are used in the way they were with the OP's car, I guess the owner could request a new registration number, at his/her expence. I'm not sure how the OP's situation was resolved, but I'd guess it has something to do with his car being different on closer inspection, to that of the stolen vehicle, or him being able to prove that he wasn't driving his vehicle in that area when the camera flashed him.

While we're on the subject, there is an anti-theft type screw that replaces the original screws, that can only be tightened and not unscrewed without breaking the plates. There are also anti-theft numberplates available that tear if they're removed....simple yet clever stuff!

Last edited by Cliffy : 04-23-2007 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 AM   #14
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
It's highly unlikely to happen like this, as the chances of them being used on an identical car are very rare, usually a thief will stick dodgy plates on any old car (stolen or otherwise) to commit minor traffic offenses or theft of fuel etc. If they are used in the way they were with the OP's car, I guess the owner could request a new registration number, at his/her expense. I'm not sure how the OP's situation was resolved, but I'd guess it has something to do with his car being different on closer inspection, to that of the stolen vehicle, or him being able to prove that he wasn't driving his vehicle in that area when the camera flashed him.
Got it. However, you have realized by now that the OP probably didn't have his plates stolen and was just advertising his product, right?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:03 AM   #15
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Got it. However, you have realized by now that the OP probably didn't have his plates stolen and was just advertising his product, right?
No. The IPs are different.

lol....jk. I did realise this, and said that what happened to his car was very unlikely/rare for this reason. However, I guess anything is possible. I also had no reason to doubt that he/she had suffered this crime at some point, hence why I used him as a real person, lol. I also deleted the link in the alterego's post

Last edited by Cliffy : 04-23-2007 at 03:09 AM.