Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
xandar
CF Newbie

93 Olds Ciera No Brake Lights

All 3 brake lights didn't work. Now the center light in rear window works but the two main lights don't. It's not a fuse problem. The center light hooks into the main harness over the tire before the harness enters the bumper area. Connectors look fine and don't see (visibly) any broken wires and none felt broken (though I know this may not mean much). New bulbs - just replaced them. Tail, turn, reverse and side tail lights work.

Any suggestions? And where online can I find wiring schematics?

I have googled and didn't find anything, but did find this forum.

Many thanks in advance.
xandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandar
All 3 brake lights didn't work. Now the center light in rear window works but the two main lights don't. It's not a fuse problem. The center light hooks into the main harness over the tire before the harness enters the bumper area. Connectors look fine and don't see (visibly) any broken wires and none felt broken (though I know this may not mean much). New bulbs - just replaced them. Tail, turn, reverse and side tail lights work.

Many thanks in advance.

tried the stop light switch??
Old 04-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
tried the stop light switch??
If the brake light switch was bad, why would the center high mount brake light operate? MAJIK?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
If the brake light switch was bad, why would the center high mount brake light operate? MAJIK?

must have missed that when i read it. thats what 3 hrs of sleep will get me. oh well
Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandar

Many thanks in advance.
Okie, dokie. So let me make sure I have this straight. All lights at the rear of the car illuminate at the appropriate time with the exception of the brake lights in the tail light assemblies. Is that correct? Specifically the turn signals and/or emergency flashers operate. Correct?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-24-2007, 12:15 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Stop press. While eating supper I got to thinking about this thread and the fact that the car in question was manufactured before BCM's started controlling things such as brake lights, so... I just pulled the wiring diagram and it COULD be the brake light switch, although that's still not likely the case. That's all I'll say for now until I get the information previously requested.

What really sucks is that it's only April and I've already used up my quota of one mistake for the year.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
thefonz
CF Addict

Quote:
Stop press. While eating supper I got to thinking about this thread and the fact that the car in question was manufactured before BCM's started controlling things such as brake lights, so... I just pulled the wiring diagram and it COULD be the brake light switch, although that's still not likely the case. That's all I'll say for now until I get the information previously requested.

What really sucks is that it's only April and I've already used up my quota of one mistake for the year.

At least you got that out of the way early. Seems like someone here said you only made one mistake, and that you have not been right since
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:04 AM   #8
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:

I'll keep that in mind

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote