Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Jeremy_D
CF Newbie

Power Steering Problem

I have a 95 chevy corsica. here recently the power steering hose had a small crack in it so i temp. fixed that but now its making that noise again. i looked at the fluid and it was still half full but very foamy what can i do to fix it with out spending very much money like below 100$

My email address is Jdupuis7@aol.com

Much Thanks in advance for any help
Jeremy_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_D
I have a 95 chevy corsica. here recently the power steering hose had a small crack in it so i temp. fixed that but now its making that noise again. i looked at the fluid and it was still half full but very foamy what can i do to fix it with out spending very much money like below 100$

My email address is Jdupuis7@aol.com

Much Thanks in advance for any help

put a new line on it.........really not that hard
Old 04-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
TexTruck
CF Newbie

If I was you I'd scratch the repair job on your old hose and go to a junkyard. If they have a pick-and-pull where you are you'll be ablet get pump and all for a 95 corsica easy enough and cheap to. It's an easy job too as long as you can get at everything. Good Luck.
TexTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTruck
If I was you I'd scratch the repair job on your old hose and go to a junkyard. If they have a pick-and-pull where you are you'll be ablet get pump and all for a 95 corsica easy enough and cheap to. It's an easy job too as long as you can get at everything. Good Luck.

i can see using a used pump, but a used line. how much could it possibly be?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
TexTruck
CF Newbie

You'd be surprised how good quality you'll find at these pick-and-pull yards. I replaced the lines on my project car with like new hoses. I agree with your logic but it's alway worth a look.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTruck
You'd be surprised how good quality you'll find at these pick-and-pull yards. I replaced the lines on my project car with like new hoses. I agree with your logic but it's alway worth a look.
You'd be surprised how inefficient doing that really is. Most yards nowadays have a $25ish minimum purchase, and the most expensive new hose I can find for his car is $32 over the counter, depending on which engine he has and which hose he needs. The extra money is certainly worth it if for no other reason that you get a warranty. And don’t forget new o-rings. But…

Let’s for a moment say you could save $30 on the price of the part. For the sake of argument make the warranty the same, the “newness” the same and the quality the same. To save $30 you have to go to a yard, pay to get in, walk around hunting down a good hose, remove it and then go home.

If you’re lucky you can accomplish this task in three hours. Plus gas. Plus yard entrance fee. Plus walking around in a mud covered yard with wasps biting you. Plus having to pull parts from a slime covered car. Plus you might not even find the part you need so your time is entirely wasted. Is that really worth $10 an hour? My guess is for most of the population, NO.

BTW, you might be surprised just how much glagon1979 knows about the quality of parts coming out of a yard. Ask him.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

BTW, you might be surprised just how much glagon1979 knows about the quality of parts coming out of a yard. Ask him.

i'm not going to wait for him to reply.

i work at a salvage yard. in fact i'm on the clock now. when someone calls on used lines (power steering, brake, fuel, etc) we pretty much laugh at them. the cost of us pulling something like that WAY exceeds the cost of the part. lift orders are a different story. we have to include the cost of fuel and the loader drivers wage. used lines are a nightmare. we only ever concider a hand full of popular ones and even then we dont like to do them....

Last edited by glagon1979 : 04-25-2007 at 09:33 PM.
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
TexTruck
CF Newbie

Quote:
You'd be surprised how inefficient doing that really is. Most yards nowadays have a $25ish minimum purchase, and the most expensive new hose I can find for his car is $32 over the counter, depending on which engine he has and which hose he needs. The extra money is certainly worth it if for no other reason that you get a warranty. And don’t forget new o-rings. But…

Let’s for a moment say you could save $30 on the price of the part. For the sake of argument make the warranty the same, the “newness” the same and the quality the same. To save $30 you have to go to a yard, pay to get in, walk around hunting down a good hose, remove it and then go home.

If you’re lucky you can accomplish this task in three hours. Plus gas. Plus yard entrance fee. Plus walking around in a mud covered yard with wasps biting you. Plus having to pull parts from a slime covered car. Plus you might not even find the part you need so your time is entirely wasted. Is that really worth $10 an hour? My guess is for most of the population, NO.

I respect your advice and I'll even agree that your theroy is right. Maybe the yards here are different but I really did stroll into a pic-and-pull payed my buck and found a car that had the hoses I wanted in like new condition I pulled them off and was back at my garage in about 2 hours total cost $16. $5 each for the hoses. No minimum purchase. And up here corsicas are a dime a dozen so he'd have no problem finding one..........but like I said up here.........who knows what it's like where he's from. And never under estimate my tightness when I am on my own free time I might do alot to save 20 bucks

Quote:
i'm not going to wait for him to reply.
i work at a salvage yard. in fact i'm on the clock now. when someone calls on used lines (power steering, brake, fuel, etc) we pretty much laugh at them. the cost of us pulling something like that WAY exceeds the cost of the part. lift orders are a different story. we have to include the cost of fuel and the loader drivers wage. used lines are a nightmare. we only ever concider a hand full of popular ones and even then we dont like to do them....

I have used salvage yards before too. EBCM for my truck was the last time. but I was not suggesting the guy go to one of your yards. I meant one of those self serve places which I am assuming from your responses are not as well stocked in your part of the world.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:13 AM   #9
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
soo tight you probably shit string, hahah i made that up myself
Old 04-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
TexTruck
CF Newbie

Quote:
soo tight you probably shit string, hahah i made that up myself

Ya I could tell!!