Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
aeprominant
CF Newbie

Quick ETS question

I own a 2004 Olds Alero with the 3400 V6 and I was wondering if haivng ETS on robbed acceleration.
aeprominant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:21 AM   #2
Wally
I Know More Than You

Emmissions Trading Scheme?

Only joking,

this is supposedly a Workshop Manual grab from another site:

Quote:
Enhanced Traction System (ETS)

The Enhanced Traction System (ETS) is designed to limit wheel slip during acceleration. This objective is accomplished by cutting fuel to selected cylinders, retarding spark and upshifting the transmission. The EBCM monitors wheel speed slip through the ABS wheel speed sensors and determines the desired torque reduction needed to minimize wheel spin. The torque reduction the EBCM requests may result in a combination of fuel cutoff, spark retard, and upshifting the transmission, depending on the torque reduction required. This request is sent from the EBCM through the serial data link to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The PCM then calculates and employs fuel cutoff and spark retard values to achieve the requested engine torque. If the EBCM determines that the engine torque reduction is not sufficient to minimize wheel spin, it will request a transmission upshift.

The ETS will be enabled when the ETS switch is in the ON position (TRAC OFF indicator not illuminated), the engine coolant temperature is within normal operating range and the manifold air temperature is within normal operating range.

There are a number of reasons that the ETS will be inhibited or disabled.

* INHIBITED: Not all modes of ETS are available. i.e.: no spark retard, but transmission upshifts are still available.
* DISABLED: No ETS modes are available

Some of the items that can inhibit or disable ETS are:

* ETS OFF switch is in the OFF position. (Disabled)
* EBCM senses a valid brake switch input. (Disabled)
* Park brake is engaged. (Disabled)
* Catalytic converter temperature rises above the normal operating range. (Inhibited)
* Engine coolant temperature is not within normal operating range. (Inhibited)
* Manifold air temperature is not within normal operating range. (Inhibited)
* PCM sets a DTC that turns on the CHECK ENGINE lamp. (Inhibited or Disabled)
* PCM sets a Failure Record that does NOT turn on the CHECK ENGINE lamp. (Inhibited or Disabled)
* EBCM sets a DTC C1221, C1222, C1223, C1224, C1225, C1226, C1227, C1228, C1232, C1233, C1234, and/or C1235 (any wheel speed sensor DTC). (Disabled)

Refer to Self-Diagnostics for more information.

ETS OFF Switch

The ETS OFF switch is a momentary contact switch. The ETS OFF switch enables or disables the enhanced traction system.

When the EBCM needs to illuminate the TRAC OFF or LO TRAC indicators, it will transmit a signal (via serial data link) to the Electronic Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) and the IPC will illuminate the indicator.

The amber TRAC OFF indicator will be illuminated when ETS is disabled or when the driver switches ETS off with the ETS OFF switch. As a bulb check procedure, the EBCM will command the ETS indicator ON for 3 seconds when the EBCM receives power (ignition in ON position). With the ignition in the OFF or START positions (loss of serial data), the IPC will illuminate the ETS OFF indicator lamp.

The amber LO TRAC indicator will be illuminated to alert the driver of a low traction situation and to inform the driver the ETS is operating. As a bulb check procedure, the EBCM will command the LO TRAC indicator ON for 3 seconds when the EBCM receives power (ignition in ON or START positions). With the ignition in the OFF position (loss of serial data), the IPC will illuminate the LO TRAC indicator
Old 04-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeprominant
I own a 2004 Olds Alero with the 3400 V6 and I was wondering if haivng ETS on robbed acceleration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Emmissions Trading Scheme?

Only joking,

this is supposedly a Workshop Manual grab from another site:
Wow, that's really cool, but... Did you have an answer?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Hey, I think I can answer this one! Yes, it can, right?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #5
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

If you're worried about acceleration why did you buy an Alero?

I've got an Alero with the same engine and traction system. It will hurt your acceleration if you only spin the tires a little bit, as that would normally only slow you down for say .1 sec. With ETS on it cuts the fuel and will slow you down for maybe .3 seconds. If you spin the tires a lot on the launch, without ETS you'll lose a second or two, while with it on you'll only lose about .3 seconds (don't know exactly how long, just ballparking). Basically if you suck at launching it will help you, if you're good it will hurt you.

You shouldn't really care about a few tenths of a second unless you are drag racing, and if you're racing a stock Alero...well...

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Hey, I think I can answer this one! Yes, it can, right?
Good answer... For the most part. Read on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
If you're worried about acceleration why did you buy an Alero?

I've got an Alero with the same engine and traction system. It will hurt your acceleration if you only spin the tires a little bit, as that would normally only slow you down for say .1 sec. With ETS on it cuts the fuel and will slow you down for maybe .3 seconds. If you spin the tires a lot on the launch, without ETS you'll lose a second or two, while with it on you'll only lose about .3 seconds (don't know exactly how long, just ballparking). Basically if you suck at launching it will help you, if you're good it will hurt you.

You shouldn't really care about a few tenths of a second unless you are drag racing, and if you're racing a stock Alero...well...
Another good answer, based on experience, as far as it goes.

Under many (most?) circumstances if the ETS engages you will probably experience somewhat slower acceleration. Realistically, your car probably won't spend too much time trying to do smokey burnouts so the ETS will never come into play. However, in low traction situations such as snow or ice, you'll find that the ETS may actually increase your ability to accelerate depending upon your own skill level and driving ability. For most people, most of the time, in most snow/ice driving scenerios, the ETS will allow them to pull smoothly away from a stop as opposed to sitting there spinning their tires like idiots.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:41 AM   #7
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Another good answer, based on experience, as far as it goes.

Lose taht amount of time in what? 0-60? Quarter mile? Incomplete answer

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote