Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
chillin92386
CF Newbie

Purist or Paddle?

I think technology is a great thing. I do have to give kudos to companies like ferrari and audi on their respective paddle shift transmissions.

But i really think that driving a true manual with clutch and all is sadly moving into the past. People are trying to replace skill with the clutch with computer controlled transmissions (DSG etc...). Something about it just doesn't seem right. there are just some things that can not be substituted and a manually opperated clutch is one of them in my mind.

I'm just bored at work and decided to vent my little thought on that after reading how someone made the post about teaching their son to drive manual . it's looks like a good ole purist manual is being faded out in favor of some lexus 27 speed paddle shift audi inspired trans.

Let's start a revolution! Destroy all paddle shift cars!
chillin92386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

They aren't that bad...It does give significantly quicker shift times, and allows some people to feel like Schumacher lol. On the other hand, you need both hands on the wheel with paddle shifters and can't do anything (like send txt messages on your cell phone ) lol.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
They aren't that bad...It does give significantly quicker shift times, and allows some people to feel like Schumacher lol. On the other hand, you need both hands on the wheel with paddle shifters and can't do anything (like send txt messages on your cell phone ) lol.

Or skip scenes on your in-dash DVD player. Heh.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:44 AM   #4
What
Banned

Paddle Shifters aren't that bad. Have you tried one? You probably haven't...most people haven't.

The good ones are engaging, the bad ones suck. But I've never driven a bad one...I can only imagine how much it must suck to have a car that won't let you kick down.

I don't think manuals will be replaced.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

You have to distinguish between a car with a "manual transmission", like a ferrari, (with most all of the components of a 'true' manual) and automatic transmissions with paddle-shifters.

People have told me (may be wrong) that you can actually burn the clutch in an F1 transmission by not rev-matching properly when shifting gears.

Lamborghini made Kobe Bryant's wife a special Lamborghini with an automatic transmission in it. Disgusting.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I personally prefer a good manual, but an i'd probably prefer an Auto if I was needing to drive through constant traffic on a day to day basis. I honestly can't think of a scenario whereby I'd prefer a flappy-paddle gearbox over a conventional manual one though!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

The point is to make a faster car. While manuals are great and fun, they are old technology. And realize the difference between an automatic with paddle shift and an SMG with paddle shift. Its about the transmission itself, not whether it has paddles.

BTW SMG's do have a clutch...

But the again autos have lots of clutches...
Old 05-01-2007, 07:32 AM   #8
oplease19
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Or skip scenes on your in-dash DVD player. Heh.
Just f'ing brilliant - driving while watching a DVD.
oplease19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
Just f'ing brilliant - driving while watching a DVD.
its easily done!!!!
attack chopper pilots manage to keep their eyes on their compuiter screens and an eye on where there going without trouble

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
oplease19
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
its easily done!!!!
attack chopper pilots manage to keep their eyes on their compuiter screens and an eye on where there going without trouble
Combat pilots spend most of their time looking at their environment and occasionally glancing at their computer screens. They aren't engrossed in their computer screens. The times that they ARE engrossed in their computer screens they are actually using them to fly. They aren't taking away from the task at hand but adding to it. And in combat situations they use a Heads-Up-Display or something similar that projects the important computer screen info into their field of vision so they can stay focused on their envronment and also see the important computer info. Watching a DVD while driving is stunningly stupid and grossly irresponsible. It's on a par with drunk driving and should be illegal.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Combat pilots spend most of their time looking at their environment and occasionally glancing at their computer screens. They aren't engrossed in their computer screens. The times that they ARE engrossed in their computer screens they are actually using them to fly. They aren't taking away from the task at hand but adding to it. And in combat situations they use a Heads-Up-Display or something similar that projects the important computer screen info into their field of vision so they can stay focused on their envronment and also see the important computer info. Watching a DVD while driving is stunningly stupid and grossly irresponsible. It's on a par with drunk driving and should be illegal.
Yeah, I agree about the DVD, but playing Need For Speed while driving is just awesome. You're doing like 30, but feel like you're doing 170 lol.

BTW Even if helicopter pilots didn't have screens, they still have to flip all these switches and check the guages:

Old 05-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #12
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Watching a DVD while driving is stunningly stupid and grossly irresponsible. It's on a par with drunk driving and should be illegal.

Oh wow, you are an idiot.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

1. I am fully aware that DSG's, sequentials and even some full automatics are faster than regular manuals in certain cases and under certain circumstances, and will only continue to improve. I think the march of progress is great. I'm also aware that that at least one individual on this forum will tell me I'm wrong for prefering them because his opinion is more important than my opinion, but... I always have and continue to prefer a full manual transmission. Call it a comfort zone. Call it being old fashioned. Call it whatever you want, but I like them and drive them essentially all the time. To paraphrase a gun owners saying, you can have my clutch pedal when you pry my cold dead foot off of it. Doesn't have quite the same ring, does it?

2. Contrary to what you've been told in this thread by a person who is 99.9% sure he's smarter than everyone, it's quite common for pilots to fly heads down. He is absolutely correct when it come to an air-to-air (dogfight) scenario, but when flying air-to-ground the pilot is normally so far away he can't even see his target about 99% of the time so he's not looking for it. He may not even see the explosion having already turned back. As a matter of fact it's very common during regular fighter pilot training training to fly with a canopy curtain drawn so they HAVE to depend on their instruments for bombing runs, etc. Of course when doing this they have a wingman as a back-up to keep them from getting too deep into trouble.

Disclaimer for Mr Know-It-All. I spent 23 years working on fighter aircraft while serving this great nation's military. My wife still does. I am not nor do I claim to be an experienced pilot, but I am well informed on how they operate.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #14
oplease19
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Oh wow, you are an idiot.
Uh, no, you are if you drive while watching a DVD. Clearly you aren't giving your undivided attention to the road and the damage you could do to others in a 3,000+ pound vehicle. You will miss signs of impending trouble and react slower to said trouble. Studies show that talking on a cell phone can lead to nearly as much impaired driving as drinking does. Watching a DVD is even more distracting than talking on a phone.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #15
oplease19
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
12. Contrary to what you've been told in this thread by a person who is 99.9% sure he's smarter than everyone, it's quite common for pilots to fly heads down. He is absolutely correct when it come to an air-to-air (dogfight) scenario, but when flying air-to-ground the pilot is normally so far away he can't even see his target about 99% of the time so he's not looking for it. He may not even see the explosion having already turned back. As a matter of fact it's very common during regular fighter pilot training training to fly with a canopy curtain drawn so they HAVE to depend on their instruments for bombing runs, etc. Of course when doing this they have a wingman as a back-up to keep them from getting too deep into trouble.

Disclaimer for Mr Know-It-All. I spent 23 years working on fighter aircraft while serving this great nation's military. My wife still does. I am not nor do I claim to be an experienced pilot, but I am well informed on how they operate.
You have severe reading difficulties. What part of this did you not understand - "The times that they ARE engrossed in their computer screens they are actually using them to fly". I said what you said, more succinctly. They are using the computer screens to fly. They are looking down to do their primary task, not, as a doofus in a car with a DVD, to distract them from their primary task.