Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Good First Motorcycle

Current Concensus is for a Ninja 500.

Any other suggestions, and backing for such a bike?
Old 04-29-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

I don't know jack about bikes, but from what I hear if you're young and want a sportbike, you should get an older one. Insurance for a newer crotch-rocket is a lot, but I'm not sure how much cheaper it would be to get the bare minimum insurance compared to full coverage. I would get some quotes before you buy anything.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
I don't know jack about bikes, but from what I hear if you're young and want a sportbike, you should get an older one. Insurance for a newer crotch-rocket is a lot, but I'm not sure how much cheaper it would be to get the bare minimum insurance compared to full coverage. I would get some quotes before you buy anything.

This much I figured. And insurance is going to be nothing compared to what it was I would be paying for a car.

Plus, I have yet to confirm it, but supposedly you don't have to have insurance in my state.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
True_Brit
Has a new job!

where i work, 6 (out of the workforce of 50) have Suzuki GSX's all of different ages but one has a GSX-R and apparently are one of the best bikes to ride in terms of handling, speed and acceleration

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
where i work, 6 (out of the workforce of 50) have Suzuki GSX's all of different ages but one has a GSX-R and apparently are one of the best bikes to ride in terms of handling, speed and acceleration

Maybe. But I'm going to buy a CBR600. The 07 CBR is the best 600 out there, period. Besides, any motorcycle is going to perform outlandishly. It's looks and price that I care about, so I'm looking at an 06/07 black CBR600. That's MY preference.

I'm not asking about what sports bike I should get, I'm asking what people think a good trainer bike is, other than the Ninja 500.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Definitely go with the CBR600.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
This much I figured. And insurance is going to be nothing compared to what it was I would be paying for a car.
I've heard of full coverage being 5-6K a year for kids on sportbikes. I'm assuming their records weren't exactly clean and that they are on the higher end of the spectrum, but it could possibly be more to insure a bike than a car in certain circumstances.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:07 AM   #8
aeprominant
CF Newbie

a Ninja 500 if a perfect starter bike. Any more power and you will kill yourself; any less and you'll get board with it.
aeprominant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:12 AM   #9
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeprominant
a Ninja 500 if a perfect starter bike. Any more power and you will kill yourself; any less and you'll get board with it.
Speaking from experience?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #10
Car hippie
CF Newbie

I was going to suggest a CBR600 also. Still has enough juice to kill yourself, but it's no liter bike at least.

But if it's just a trainer bike, are you sure you need an '07, since you may be getting rid of it soon?

Just my thoughts.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Ninja 250 if you want to take it REAL easy and want a cheap ass new bike
Old 05-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

May I?

By now you've already found out that 8 out of 10 non-riders think the CBR600 is the bike to have, even if they don't quite know why. They are excellent bikes (I own two, an F1 and an F4), but that's not the info you're looking for.

The Ninja 500 (which meathead was it that decided you were talking about an '07?) is a fine starter bike for many people. Big enough to be considered a real motorcycle and to ride a fair distance but small and light enough to be less intimidating. However, I highly recommend a bike more along the lines of a used Honda XL or XR/L, Yamaha XT or TW, Kawasaki KL or Suzuki DR, sized to suit the intended rider. They're relatively inexpensive to buy, cheap to insure, easy on gas, cheap (relatively speaking) to maintain/repair, extremely dependable and rugged (for the inevitable get-offs), light and the riding position makes it easy to concentrate on just riding and learning. The fact that you can use it on road and off is just icing on the cake.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
May I?

By now you've already found out that 8 out of 10 non-riders think the CBR600 is the bike to have, even if they don't quite know why. They are excellent bikes (I own two, an F1 and an F4), but that's not the info you're looking for.

The Ninja 500 (which meathead was it that decided you were talking about an '07?) is a fine starter bike for many people. Big enough to be considered a real motorcycle and to ride a fair distance but small and light enough to be less intimidating. However, I highly recommend a bike more along the lines of a used Honda XL or XR/L, Yamaha XT or TW, Kawasaki KL or Suzuki DR, sized to suit the intended rider. They're relatively inexpensive to buy, cheap to insure, easy on gas, cheap (relatively speaking) to maintain/repair, extremely dependable and rugged (for the inevitable get-offs), light and the riding position makes it easy to concentrate on just riding and learning. The fact that you can use it on road and off is just icing on the cake.

I agree, dual purpose bikes are great investments

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #14
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
May I?

I was talking about an '07 CBR600...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Maybe. But I'm going to buy a CBR600. The 07 CBR is the best 600 out there, period.

Was in response to that.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #15
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
May I?

Exactly the info that I was looking for. Thank you.