Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 12:39 AM   #31
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Yet you still didn't fix it...
In what way? He didn't duplicate anything.
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:44 AM   #32
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
In what way? He didn't duplicate anything.
Can't you copy everything and put it into one post then delete the rest?
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:45 AM   #33
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Can't you copy everything and put it into one post then delete the rest?
Yes, but I shouldn't have to.
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #34
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Yes, but I shouldn't have to.
It's your job. Either git 'er done or don't complain lol.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:18 AM   #35
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
It's your job. Either git 'er done or don't complain lol.
lol...You have that one wrong I'm afraid. I am allowed to complain and/or show the poster the error of their ways, but I don't have to change anything.
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 AM   #36
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
lol...You have that one wrong I'm afraid. I am allowed to complain and/or show the poster the error of their ways, but I don't have to change anything.
My taxes pay for your job! You work for me!




JP
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #37
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by whicky1978
The gas pedal is more sensitive--that is what I notice.


You all can say what you want, but at the end of the day, I get to drive my fuel efficient car with its fuel efficient gasoline--knowing that 93 octane cost me less per mile than 87 octane.

i.e., you can have experts and people with decades of experience tell you the facts, but you don't care because you know it all.

Moron.

Leave now because you will never contribute anything of worth to the forum, as you have zero knowledge, and don't want to GAIN any knowledge by listening to people that DO have it.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #38
ninjatrainer
CF Newbie
 
ninjatrainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 19
chrisv... you sure like to judge people. it is funny that you claim whicky1978 is the know it all when apparently you seem to be the one who knows all.
__________________
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. -- Chinese Proverb
ninjatrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:25 PM   #39
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatrainer
chrisv... you sure like to judge people. it is funny that you claim whicky1978 is the know it all when apparently you seem to be the one who knows all.
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 PM   #40
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by whicky1978
I have this "friend" whose speedometer gooes up to 140, but in 5th gear he can't go over 4000 rpms, and 95 mph. Is there something in the engine that prevents this? Can it be adjusted, legally?

Let me know so I can tell my "friend". I myself always do the speed limit.

yes the primary limitation is engine power. Why be doing 95 mph in the first place?


Quote:
Originally Posted by whicky1978
The gas pedal is more sensitive--that is what I notice.


You all can say what you want, but at the end of the day, I get to drive my fuel efficient car with its fuel efficient gasoline--knowing that 93 octane cost me less per mile than 87 octane

If you have a knock sensor fitted to your engine, you will probably make gains with higher octane fuel during acceleration. During acceleration there is a greater chance of incipient knock, which will cause poor flame and consequently the ECU to back the spark timing off, both of which will lower the engine power, encourage you to put the pedal down more, etc.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."

Last edited by Wally : 05-09-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 AM   #41
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatrainer
chrisv... you sure like to judge people. it is funny that you claim whicky1978 is the know it all when apparently you seem to be the one who knows all.

...but who would you rather have working on your car?
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #42
whicky1978
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
If you have a knock sensor fitted to your engine, you will probably make gains with higher octane fuel during acceleration. During acceleration there is a greater chance of incipient knock, which will cause poor flame and consequently the ECU to back the spark timing off, both of which will lower the engine power, encourage you to put the pedal down more, etc.

So, only intially, I would notice more power? My car knocks when I have to stop suddenly.

My old transmission didn't knock. I had it replaced because a mechanic said it was going bad. My power train warranty covered it. But I had to pay alot for a rental because it took them so long to put it in.

They had to take out the transmission twice because it didn't fit the new clutch I had put in at the same time. I assume that it was a rebuilt transmission.

Last edited by whicky1978 : 05-10-2007 at 12:36 AM.
whicky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:01 AM   #43
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
I was referring to pinking and/or detonation, also referred to as engine knock.

Obviously octane discussions are up there with the HP/Torque debates and solicit some heated debate. If you find the higher octane fuel results in you getting a more comfortable drive and a fuel cost saving, then you obviously will continue that practice. My daughter's experience mirrored your own while driving a little nip shopping trolley. She swore the Optimax gave her better consumption figures and I'm not in a position (nor silly enough) to argue the toss with her.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:56 AM   #44
talon699
CF Newbie
 
talon699's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 52
You are saving .001.cents per mile based on 35mpg, and you drive 350miles per week. What is your point? You want a car that is not listed as being a car of any great perfomance in the first place ,trying to justify spending more on premium fuel so your engine can rev higher! Don`t give up your day job. As an accountant you suck. I can make my outboard rev higher by changing the prop and if I don`t rev it to the max all the time I can get better fuel economy.If the manufacturer thought that by reving the crap out of the engine would give better fuel economy they would have done this. Using premium fuel to compensate for poor maintenance may be your answer.After all, You are more concerned with other peoples problems and forgot to look at your own.
talon699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #45
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by whicky1978
So, only intially, I would notice more power? My car knocks when I have to stop suddenly.

My old transmission didn't knock. I had it replaced because a mechanic said it was going bad. My power train warranty covered it. But I had to pay alot for a rental because it took them so long to put it in.

They had to take out the transmission twice because it didn't fit the new clutch I had put in at the same time. I assume that it was a rebuilt transmission.

Knock from detonation does not happen in the transmission. It happens in the engine.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.