Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
99integra
CF's Florida boy

My Gina has broken down =[

I was driving home from work a couple days ago and 1st and 2nd gear were very hard going into gear, so at stop light I just tried to go through all my gears to see if it were just 1st and 2nd just because sometimes it shifts hard when I haven't driven it for a day or so. Turns out my clutch was shot even though I was trying to tell myself it was because the clutch wasn't engaging all the way and it just needed to have some cheap simple repair but no dice. So today I took it to a mechanic and it will be 919.00 for an OEM clutch plus installment and then I'm going to get the timing chain replaced as a preventative maintenance measure. I want to get a tune up done while I'm at it but I want to take a stab at it, I have 2 plugs per cylinder on my 2.3 liter so thats a pain in the ass to get to but the wires are very accesible, so the question is should I let the mechanic do a tune up for 200 or do it myself?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
I was driving home from work a couple days ago and 1st and 2nd gear were very hard going into gear, so at stop light I just tried to go through all my gears to see if it were just 1st and 2nd just because sometimes it shifts hard when I haven't driven it for a day or so. Turns out my clutch was shot even though I was trying to tell myself it was because the clutch wasn't engaging all the way and it just needed to have some cheap simple repair but no dice. So today I took it to a mechanic and it will be 919.00 for an OEM clutch plus installment and then I'm going to get the timing chain replaced as a preventative maintenance measure. I want to get a tune up done while I'm at it but I want to take a stab at it, I have 2 plugs per cylinder on my 2.3 liter so thats a pain in the ass to get to but the wires are very accesible, so the question is should I let the mechanic do a tune up for 200 or do it myself?
Do all of it yourself.

1. You don't have a timing chain, you have a timing belt. This is a job you can easily do yourself with some basic tools and a manual. Bonus deal. It makes it easier to do when the plugs are out. Not only that but since your engine is non-interference, if you put it together wrong the first time, you won't hurt anything. Go for it.

2. Do the clutch yourself. You'll need a basic hand tools plus a floor jack, two jack stands and a torque wrench. A couple of strong friends will be handy too.

Not only will you gain experience and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself, but you'll save more than enough money to buy yourself some pants that fit.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:26 AM   #3
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Not only will you gain experience and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself, but you'll save more than enough money to buy yourself some pants that fit.

I like that!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:13 AM   #4
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
I like that!

That terrible insult?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #5
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Haha that wasn't an insult that was just another generation that was used to Sally Sue's and Oh golly goshes haha.

But the clutch I am having done by a mechanic because he's rotating the flywheel and all that jazz but I will do the timing belt myself and the tune up myself and I'll let ya know how it goes!