Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2007, 04:45 AM   #1
OKCSpitfire
CF Newbie

04 Cavalier Clutch peddle not returning, help!

Hello all, My son bought a 2004 Cavalier and drove it for about a year, the warranty expired and now the problems start. The GM engineers saw fit to lay his clutch line on a sharp piece of flat metal and it has finally cut a large gash in the hose. I was going to replace the hose but after looking at the hose connections I am not sure how they are removed. They do not screw into any metal connectors. We decided to splice the hose, we know it is a high pressure hydraulic hose so we got some high pressure fittings and spliced the hose back together, luckily no leaks. We bled the line and he had clutch pressure and was able to drive the car for about a day. Next day the clutch has pressure to shift into a gear but the peddle with not return. It goes to the floor and remains there. You get one shift then no pressure. I checked the splice and bled the lines again but this time it still does not build any clutch pressure. To bleed the line you have to use your hand to pump up the clutch. You can see the hose move and hear the clutch engage.

Does anyone have any idea of what may be causing the clutch to remain on the floor? If I have to replace the clutch hose how do I disconnect it from the plastic fittings where they connect?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
OKCSpitfire - Jerry Stasyszen
OKCSpitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Well, have you checked the fluid levels after bleeding the lines? Not trying to insult you, but you'd be suprised what some people do, or don't do. Also something could be disconnected under the dash to help return the pedal to it's normal position. I've never seen this problem with any car, but those are my guesses..Good luck

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
peterpants
CF Newbie

I have the same problem

How interesting!

On my girlfriend's car, she just suffered the same problem. She had a two hour drive and she reports that within her last half hour of driving, her clutch died and the pedal is now stuck to the floor. Her dad thinks its something hydraulic in the clutch that is not working.

I'm curious as to what you've done to fix your car. If its not something I'd be able to do within a weekend, I'm going to have to leave it to the professionals.

If you have any diagrams or notes or pictures, or even the advice of what you went through to get your car working again.

Thanks,
Peter
peterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
kokomojuggler
CF Newbie

We have the same problem w/ our 04 cavalier. We took it all apart including the master cylinder, which is bolted to the firewall. (I don't think you can legally call it a firewall) There are little metal clips that can be taken out to detach the hose at either end. Hopefully we can buy a replacement hose easily today.
kokomojuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
kokomojuggler
CF Newbie

We have the same problem w/ our 04 cavalier. We took it all apart including the master cylinder, which is bolted to the firewall. (I don't think you can legally call it a firewall) There are little metal clips that can be taken out to detach the hose at either end. Hopefully we can buy a replacement hose easily today.

Remove the battery (negative lead first)
Remove the fuse assembly by popping up the plastic rivet thing
Remove the air intake
Remove the master cylinder from the firewall w/ 13mm deep well socket and long extension.
Disconnect the master cylinder from the clutch pedal. (It's easier w/ the clutch petal in the up position)
Remove the master cylinder from under the hood.
Remove the metal clips to disconnect the hose from either end w/ a small screwdriver.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
kokomojuggler
CF Newbie

Angry

We had to order the hose from the dealer at a cost of over $90. What a pain.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
kokomojuggler
CF Newbie

The host cost $100. We found that by bending the brake pipes a little, we could route the new hose a little higher and avoid rubbing.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
kokomojuggler
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokomojuggler
The host cost $100. We found that by bending the brake pipes a little, we could route the new hose a little higher and avoid rubbing.

Final Post from me on this issue:

I complained to Chevy about this and they just called and said they couldn't compensate me because the vehicle is out of warranty and if it were a design problem, it would have shown up within the warranty period of 36,000 miles.

I took this to mean that Chevy designs vehicles to only last 36,000 miles, and since I prefer to keep my vehicles longer than that, I will look to other manufacturers for my vehicles.