FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #16
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I really dont see why auto companies split their products for different places

really, does anyone have a good answer?

if i ran the place id bring every vehicle everywhere, all that might happen is more sales

If you sell the same product over different cultures, you probably won't do as well as if you'd specialize each of your products for different cultures. Europe is in general much more dense population wise, not as much space for everyone, so, naturually, they tend to favor smaller cars, like the Ford Ka. We have more space over here, and we like things supersized and big. The Ka probably wouldn't do very well, and marketing it over here wouoldn't be a waste from the low sales volume.

Something like that

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #17
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
If you sell the same product over different cultures, you probably won't do as well as if you'd specialize each of your products for different cultures. Europe is in general much more dense population wise, not as much space for everyone, so, naturually, they tend to favor smaller cars, like the Ford Ka. We have more space over here, and we like things supersized and big. The Ka probably wouldn't do very well, and marketing it over here wouoldn't be a waste from the low sales volume.

Something like that

Exactly. To TrueBrit: I don't know if they are bringing it here... I haven't heard anything. I sort of doubt it because the Taurus/Fusion and the Focus, with its four-door sedan models, fill up that class I would think. Don't quote me on this, but didn't the last Contour die off after the Focus ZTS came out?

Last edited by StiMan : 05-19-2007 at 06:57 PM.
StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #18
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario

Something like that
That's right as far as I can see. Also diesel cars are big in Europe so that's another reason why we get alot of different cars (infact, the Ford Ka is one of the few cars not offered with an oil burner....). For example, most of our cars are offered with at least one diesel engine, infact, alot of these cars sell more in diesel form. From what I've seen most cars in the US are petrol powered and few are diesel variants. I guess it's easier to stick with what you know as far as car companies go, so sticking a doesel engine in a car that usually doesn't have one would be too much like hard work and too costly. I also understand that different states have stringent laws regarding diesel engined cars over in the US.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:43 AM   #19
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
That's right as far as I can see. Also diesel cars are big in Europe so that's another reason why we get alot of different cars (infact, the Ford Ka is one of the few cars not offered with an oil burner....). For example, most of our cars are offered with at least one diesel engine, infact, alot of these cars sell more in diesel form. From what I've seen most cars in the US are petrol powered and few are diesel variants. I guess it's easier to stick with what you know as far as car companies go, so sticking a doesel engine in a car that usually doesn't have one would be too much like hard work and too costly. I also understand that different states have stringent laws regarding diesel engined cars over in the US.

Ya, there are lots of regulations about diesel, but it's really becoming a little bit more popular. I'd say VW really started it off with its numerous TDI offerings and with several new CDI Benzes coming (with BlueTec) its getting a following. If I remember correctly, there are several companies that are going to come out with new cars using Benz's BlueTec. As of now, diesels are most found in trucks.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:46 AM   #20
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Ya, there are lots of regulations about diesel, but it's really becoming a little bit more popular. I'd say VW really started it off with its numerous TDI offerings and with several new CDI Benzes coming (with BlueTec) its getting a following. If I remember correctly, there are several companies that are going to come out with new cars using Benz's BlueTec. As of now, diesels are most found in trucks.
Yeah, I remember that VW seemed to be the only company to use diesel engines in the form of their TDI engine. I've never heard of Mercs 'BlueTec' though....I've heard of VW's 'BlueMotion' but not Mercs BlueTec

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote