Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
GuyFromWi
CF Newbie

Annoying problem with a 94 Sable 3.0 V6

I have a 94 Sable LS, 3.0 V6 which has developed an intermittent high idle problem. The most common thing to put it in high idle is a sustained speed of 65 mph + for about an hour. I can feel it pulling when I come to a stop, and if I put the car in neutral it's idling at 2200 RPM.

Other times it comes at random and the idle can vary from 1800 to 2200. It's been in the shop twice, and despite the fact that the check engine light has come on, it's not storing a code. The mechanics are at a loss because they can't make it act up when they are looking at it. They have cleaned a few sensors, and that's about it.

Does anyone have any ideas?
GuyFromWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:40 PM   #2
Wally
I Know More Than You

Have they checked things like the throttle plate sticking, vacuum leaks, etc?
Old 05-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
GuyFromWi
CF Newbie

I would have to ask them. He only mentioned cleaning a few sensors. It has not acted up since Thursday, but it got much cooler too so I'm not sure if that is a factor.

I am lost when it comes to car repairs unless it's before 1985, so this may be a dumb question...

I have owned this car 3 1/2 years and it did this one time last year, but the cruise control has never worked. You mentioned vacuum leaks, and I am wondering if there may be some connection?

I really want to solve this because when it kicks into high idle, like 2200 RPM, I have to shut the car off and start it back up before going from drive to reverse because it jars the transmission if I don't.
GuyFromWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #4
Wally
I Know More Than You

You may have something simple like a malfunctioing idle air control valve. If you can locate a hose connected to the IAC, try squeezing it with a pair of pliers to observe if the revs drop. If they don't, air must be getting in somewhere else.

If you have a setup that has an idle up VSV, similarly locate the hose that connects to the plenum and squeeze away.

If you are worried about damaging the hose, take the supply side off and block it with your thumb.

Last edited by Wally : 05-13-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
Wally
I Know More Than You

One with a side valve? We tested one of those by covering one of the ports with some tape punctured with a pinhole.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
Wally
I Know More Than You

I'm just trying to eliminate the idle air circuit. I have no idea what the Duratec 3.0 in your country has, but I assume there must be some sort of idle circuit. I wasn't aware I had mentioned vacuum connections. It will either have a hose in circuit or be a once piece that mates to TB plate bypass ports.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
talon699
CF Newbie

I had this happen on a 3.0 aerostar. found out someone pressure washed the motor. took 2 months before it happened. water got into the tps(throttle position sensor) no codes no way to pin point it. Just a thought.
talon699 is offline   Reply With Quote