Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
Jston6
CF Newbie

1970 Ford Galaxie -Altenator Light Won't Go Off!

Hello. I have a 1970 Ford Galaxie Covertible. It has been in a bad condition but I'm trying to fix it up. The alternator light was on and the battery wouldn't stay on so I changed the regulator (didn't work), the alternator (didn't work), and the battery and that didn't work! The battery has been starting the car (it is brand new though) but I can't run it for long because (I think) the gaskets are loose so smoke comes out of it. That started after the water hose came loose and sprayed water all over the engine. Anyways, what could be the problem with the alternator?

I appreciate any help, tips, and ideas. Except telling me to give up, I hate that idea.
Jston6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:50 AM   #2
Wally
I Know More Than You

That is one muddled post.

I guess you are asking what could be causing the alternator not to charge? Well apart from the regulator, there are things called brushes that could be worn or broken, sliprings that could be shot, a bridge rectifier with blown diodes, windings that are in a poor condition.

If you don't have the gear to test, I suggest you take the alternator to and auto electrician for a condition report.

You must also make sure the cables and their connectors are not corroded. Silver oxide, lead oxide and copper oxide a good insulators so you need to make sure the lugs at the battery are clean of any powdery deposits (with a thin smear of vaseline or dielectric grease on the contact area), similarly the connections at the alternator.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:00 AM   #3
Jston6
CF Newbie

Quote:
If you don't have the gear to test, I suggest you take the alternator to and auto electrician for a condition report.
I've tried two alternators so I don't think that's the problem anymore; but it was at one time.

Aside from that, I don't think I understood any of the top of the post.
Jston6 is offline   Reply With Quote