Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Used car values, depreciation and appreciation.

We have put our car up for sale recently, and whilst looking at possible replacements I couldn't help but notice just how cars differ in terms of their used value. I'm not sure if this is the same everywhere, but in the UK it certainly seems to be a buyers market at the moment. Infact, I can't remember a better time to grab a bargain, as in these past couple of years I've seen more newer cars than ever drop below the £1,000 mark. Over here the industry seems to have several different used car markets in terms of value. You have the bargain family hatchback of about 8-yrs old that can be picket up for about £400, like the Daewoo Lanos, yet at the other end of the scale you have cars such as the VW Golf and Ford Focus, which can't be bought for less than about £2,500!

I understand that certain cars hold their value better than others, especially VWs, but when we are talking about Ford for example, it seems that on most other Fords bar thae Focus, you can pick up say a 1999 model for under £1,000 (Mondeo as an example). I suppose most of it is to do with how sought after a certain car is (the Focus is still a very popular car, even the first generation model....yet the Mondeo isn't really). Both models have also been facelifted and replaced with newer versions at least once, so the fact that a certain model is still on its first variation shouldn't come in to the equation. I have also noticed that some newer models have risen in price, too! As I said above, I guess it's all to do with what the demand is like for certain cars.

I hope this has made some sense, lol. I'm basically saying that it's strange how some models from the same manufacturer hold their value ALOT better than others. I'm interested to read you opinions on this as well as what the used car market is like where you live. Thanks guys!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

The only thing that I have noticed is how well sports cars tend to hold their value.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:38 AM   #3
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Sporty or Sports car will tend to hold their value significantly better because of the youth market's fascination with tuner cars and speed in general. Thats exactly who is going to be being the majority of used cars on the lower end of the price brackets.