Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
Nik000
CF Newbie

Civic TypeR or Focus ST

Hi all,

So, im looking to buy a new car sum time this year and i cant deicde between the new typeR and the ST.

golf's too expensive, the clio's a shoebox on wheels and the megane's jus ugly!

what do u guys reckon? typeR or ST??
Nik000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Why replace your Polo?

I'd probably go for the Honda, although it's a close call. The Honda's build quality is probably a bit better, but both cars are modern so this shouldn't be as much of an issue than it once was. The Honda is alot more free revving, too. I guess it depends on what you really want from a car.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
True_Brit
Has a new job!

i dont think the megane looks ugly, i like them, especially the renault sport f1 or whatever they call it!
id choose the typeR, as the Focus ST is more of a chav'd up car (in my opinion, unless its blue with the white stripe down the side, not the top) but i do like the Volvo 5cyl the ST has! (sounds nice too), have you thought of either the Corsa VXR or the Astra VXR???

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
i dont think the megane looks ugly, i like them, especially the renault sport f1 or whatever they call it!
id choose the typeR, as the Focus ST is more of a chav'd up car (in my opinion, unless its blue with the white stripe down the side, not the top) but i do like the Volvo 5cyl the ST has! (sounds nice too), have you thought of either the Corsa VXR or the Astra VXR???
You say that the ST is a chav car....you then suggest a Corsa?

I have a feeling that he'll steer clear of the Corsa, as he said that the Clio was like a shoe box...I love the Volvo engine in the ST, too. If it wasn't for the Honda's rev happy 2.0-litre lump, I'd go for the ST for that reason alone!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 05-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
Nik000
CF Newbie

on the astra the power's too much for the chassis and its torque steering is really bad, it is a gud looking car though but alot of ppl r saying dont go for it...jus confues me even more....i need to replace my polo cos i had to put a new engine in it about 2 yrs ago cos the piston broke off and shot thru the engine cos i ripped it 2 much...and i still drive it the same now, lol
Old 05-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik000
on the astra the power's too much for the chassis and its torque steering is really bad, it is a gud looking car though but alot of ppl r saying dont go for it...jus confues me even more....i need to replace my polo cos i had to put a new engine in it about 2 yrs ago cos the piston broke off and shot thru the engine cos i ripped it 2 much...and i still drive it the same now, lol
You'll have a certain amount of Torque Steer on any high powered FWD car, it's just that some are better than others. I'm not sure about the ST, but the RS Focus suffered from chronic torque steer. Basically, if you have 200-ish Horsepower going through the front wheels, you're going to know about it, lol. If you don't want torque steer, buy a RWD or an AWD car.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
You say that the ST is a chav car....you then suggest a Corsa?

I have a feeling that he'll steer clear of the Corsa, as he said that the Clio was like a shoe box...I love the Volvo engine in the ST, too. If it wasn't for the Honda's rev happy 2.0-litre lump, I'd go for the ST for that reason alone!
i only suggested the Corsa because of how it exceled expectations, people (mainly the automotive media) expected around 170bhp but Vauxhall managed 200bhp roughly, it has good looks (which i mentioned in a post before) which are borrowed from other cars,
i wont mind the torque steer the Astra vxr has, afterall, where in england is he going to try out its acceleration to cause the steer?

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:45 PM   #8
Nik000
CF Newbie

i have driven the TypeR and i noticed that by the time the VTEC's kicked in i've had 2 brake cos sum1's pulled in front of me or i've jus ran out of road, lol
Old 05-23-2007, 11:52 PM   #9
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
i have driven the TypeR and i noticed that by the time the VTEC's kicked in i've had 2 brake cos sum1's pulled in front of me or i've jus ran out of road, lol
you give me the impression that VTEC has a lag? (which i thought it didnt have? )

did you know that the Vauxhall Astra VXR has as much BHP as a Ferrari 308 does! (240bhp, in a 4cyl and a v8)

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:

Last edited by True_Brit : 05-24-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 AM   #10
Nik000
CF Newbie

Quote:
you give me the impression that VTEC has a lag? (which i thought it didnt have? )

well on the TypeR u gotta put ur foot down and wait 4 the rev needle 2 climb b4 the performance kicks in...and wen it does kick in it aint gonna last long cos summat infront is gonna cause u 2 brake then u've lost the power and gotta build it up again and thats wot i've noticed...with the ST and other performance cars u get the power as soon as u put ur foot on the throttle
Old 05-24-2007, 12:16 AM   #11
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
........and thats wot i've noticed...with the ST and other performance cars u get the power as soon as u put ur foot on the throttle
thats not entirely true! they all have lag as they are all turbo powered, but if they have a supercharger like the Mini Cooper S, that car has acceleration at the ready!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Old 05-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
thats not entirely true! they all have lag as they are all turbo powered, but if they have a supercharger like the Mini Cooper S, that car has acceleration at the ready!
The TypeR isn't turbo'd, but the others are.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:25 PM   #13
True_Brit
Has a new job!

well, ive dug my self a grave then!!! i thought it was turbo'd
well then, ignore me

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
well, ive dug my self a grave then!!! i thought it was turbo'd
well then, ignore me
Honda's are renowned for their high revving engines, and their N/A set-up....I'll forgive you, here's a digging instrument to help ya back out of that hole....

Last edited by Cliffy : 05-24-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #15
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Honda's are renowned for their high revving engines, and their N/A set-up....I'll forgive you, here's a digging instrumrnt to help ya back out of that hole....
rope will be better

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote: