Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
Nik000
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4
Civic TypeR or Focus ST

Hi all,

So, im looking to buy a new car sum time this year and i cant deicde between the new typeR and the ST.

golf's too expensive, the clio's a shoebox on wheels and the megane's jus ugly!

what do u guys reckon? typeR or ST??
Nik000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Why replace your Polo?

I'd probably go for the Honda, although it's a close call. The Honda's build quality is probably a bit better, but both cars are modern so this shouldn't be as much of an issue than it once was. The Honda is alot more free revving, too. I guess it depends on what you really want from a car.
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
i dont think the megane looks ugly, i like them, especially the renault sport f1 or whatever they call it!
id choose the typeR, as the Focus ST is more of a chav'd up car (in my opinion, unless its blue with the white stripe down the side, not the top) but i do like the Volvo 5cyl the ST has! (sounds nice too), have you thought of either the Corsa VXR or the Astra VXR???
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
i dont think the megane looks ugly, i like them, especially the renault sport f1 or whatever they call it!
id choose the typeR, as the Focus ST is more of a chav'd up car (in my opinion, unless its blue with the white stripe down the side, not the top) but i do like the Volvo 5cyl the ST has! (sounds nice too), have you thought of either the Corsa VXR or the Astra VXR???
You say that the ST is a chav car....you then suggest a Corsa?

I have a feeling that he'll steer clear of the Corsa, as he said that the Clio was like a shoe box...I love the Volvo engine in the ST, too. If it wasn't for the Honda's rev happy 2.0-litre lump, I'd go for the ST for that reason alone!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
Nik000
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4
on the astra the power's too much for the chassis and its torque steering is really bad, it is a gud looking car though but alot of ppl r saying dont go for it...jus confues me even more....i need to replace my polo cos i had to put a new engine in it about 2 yrs ago cos the piston broke off and shot thru the engine cos i ripped it 2 much...and i still drive it the same now, lol
Nik000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik000
on the astra the power's too much for the chassis and its torque steering is really bad, it is a gud looking car though but alot of ppl r saying dont go for it...jus confues me even more....i need to replace my polo cos i had to put a new engine in it about 2 yrs ago cos the piston broke off and shot thru the engine cos i ripped it 2 much...and i still drive it the same now, lol
You'll have a certain amount of Torque Steer on any high powered FWD car, it's just that some are better than others. I'm not sure about the ST, but the RS Focus suffered from chronic torque steer. Basically, if you have 200-ish Horsepower going through the front wheels, you're going to know about it, lol. If you don't want torque steer, buy a RWD or an AWD car.
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
You say that the ST is a chav car....you then suggest a Corsa?

I have a feeling that he'll steer clear of the Corsa, as he said that the Clio was like a shoe box...I love the Volvo engine in the ST, too. If it wasn't for the Honda's rev happy 2.0-litre lump, I'd go for the ST for that reason alone!
i only suggested the Corsa because of how it exceled expectations, people (mainly the automotive media) expected around 170bhp but Vauxhall managed 200bhp roughly, it has good looks (which i mentioned in a post before) which are borrowed from other cars,
i wont mind the torque steer the Astra vxr has, afterall, where in england is he going to try out its acceleration to cause the steer?
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:45 PM   #8
Nik000
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4
i have driven the TypeR and i noticed that by the time the VTEC's kicked in i've had 2 brake cos sum1's pulled in front of me or i've jus ran out of road, lol
Nik000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:52 PM   #9
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik000
i have driven the TypeR and i noticed that by the time the VTEC's kicked in i've had 2 brake cos sum1's pulled in front of me or i've jus ran out of road, lol
you give me the impression that VTEC has a lag? (which i thought it didnt have? )

did you know that the Vauxhall Astra VXR has as much BHP as a Ferrari 308 does! (240bhp, in a 4cyl and a v8)
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.

Last edited by True_Brit : 05-24-2007 at 12:13 AM.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 AM   #10
Nik000
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
you give me the impression that VTEC has a lag? (which i thought it didnt have? )

well on the TypeR u gotta put ur foot down and wait 4 the rev needle 2 climb b4 the performance kicks in...and wen it does kick in it aint gonna last long cos summat infront is gonna cause u 2 brake then u've lost the power and gotta build it up again and thats wot i've noticed...with the ST and other performance cars u get the power as soon as u put ur foot on the throttle
Nik000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:16 AM   #11
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik000
........and thats wot i've noticed...with the ST and other performance cars u get the power as soon as u put ur foot on the throttle
thats not entirely true! they all have lag as they are all turbo powered, but if they have a supercharger like the Mini Cooper S, that car has acceleration at the ready!
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
thats not entirely true! they all have lag as they are all turbo powered, but if they have a supercharger like the Mini Cooper S, that car has acceleration at the ready!
The TypeR isn't turbo'd, but the others are.
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:25 PM   #13
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
well, ive dug my self a grave then!!! i thought it was turbo'd
well then, ignore me
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
well, ive dug my self a grave then!!! i thought it was turbo'd
well then, ignore me
Honda's are renowned for their high revving engines, and their N/A set-up....I'll forgive you, here's a digging instrument to help ya back out of that hole....
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 05-24-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #15
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Honda's are renowned for their high revving engines, and their N/A set-up....I'll forgive you, here's a digging instrumrnt to help ya back out of that hole....
rope will be better
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.