Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Are permanent air filters worth the extra cost?

I thought about getting a permanent air filter for my car. Are they worth the cost?
whicky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

If your're talking about a K&N or something similiar, financially you won't be much, if any better. They need to be re-oiled over time with a kit that costs about $20 a pop, and it will take a LONG time to make up the initial investment. I bought one because the paper ones always got the crap beat out of them when I jammed them in because they didn't fit well and were flimsy. Also they didn't seem to seal all that well, likely causing a little air to get through unfiltered. The K&N fits great. Whether or not they add hp seems to be argued over and over, with neither side having any real proof. Don't buy it for performance gain, or to save $.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
whicky1978
CF Newbie

I bought a K & N filter from AutoZone. If I understand correctly, it does not need to be recharged for 75K miles?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
If your're talking about a K&N or something similiar, financially you won't be much, if any better. They need to be re-oiled over time with a kit that costs about $20 a pop, and it will take a LONG time to make up the initial investment. I bought one because the paper ones always got the crap beat out of them when I jammed them in because they didn't fit well and were flimsy. Also they didn't seem to seal all that well, likely causing a little air to get through unfiltered. The K&N fits great. Whether or not they add hp seems to be argued over and over, with neither side having any real proof. Don't buy it for performance gain, or to save $.

I figure that I'll save money if I use it long enough. I notice a difference, but they may simply because my other one was dirty. My car doesn't seem as sluggish. But that could all be in my mind too.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by whicky1978
I figure that I'll save money if I use it long enough. I notice a difference, but they may simply because my other one was dirty. My car doesn't seem as sluggish. But that could all be in my mind too.
Unless you're old filter was COMPLETELY clogged, there is now way you could possibly feel the difference. I think these companies claim a 5hp gain over a paper filter, even if that were true you wouldn't be able to feel that.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote