Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2007, 04:27 AM   #1
ah64dive
CF Newbie

96 Sebring

This is my first post here. Looks like a great place!

My daughter has a 96 Sebring, with a problem.

I have been driving this car for a couple of days now, and there is a very
loud vibration coming from the front of the car. The noise sounds
like something rubbing on one of the tires, and it goes away when I turn
right. It gets louder and higher in pitch the faster I go. It almost sounds like the transmission is not shifting, but it is shifting.

I do not see anything touching the tire.

The wheel bearings or hub assy's are good.

It seems to be speed related, because it continues to make the noise and vibrate when it is in neutral and coasting.

The only thing that stops it is turning the steering wheel to the right, even slightly to the right stops it.

Can anyone comment on what this might be?

Thanks,
Old 05-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
The only thing I can think of to do is to shake down the front end of the cat and look for loose suspension parts including cv joints, tie-rod ends and ball joints. Look for worn bushings in the usual places.

make sure lug nuts are torqued.
I was going to suggest checking the CV joints. A similar thing happened to me recently and on numerous miss-diagnosis and trial and error on my part, I pinned it down to the Nearside CV joint. Check that the gaitor is attatched properly, and that it contains grease, as if it dries out you'll have problems.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
chevydude232
CF Newbie

corect me if im wrong i this diagnosis it could also be ur wheel bearing but a good place to check like cliffy and the other comment had said check ur cv axles and other suspension parts be sure that the splines going to the wheel bearing from the cv axle is not stripped (the teeth arnt eaten up )
chevydude232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
ah64dive
CF Newbie

CV joints is what I was thinking too, but there are no cracks in the boots and no grease leaking. The ball joints were changed about a year ago, and I changed one hub assy the other day. The other hub assy seemed fine, so I didn't change it. The only thing about the CV joints is, I hear no popping or clicking from them. I don't think I included this on the first post, but the vibration is light and starts at about 15 mph, but like I said earlier a slight right turn will stop both the noise and vibration. I hate to tear into the CV joints until I'm somewhat sure. Thanks for the post, if anyone else has any ideas, please continue to post.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:55 AM   #5
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah64dive
This is my first post here. Looks like a great place!

My daughter has a 96 Sebring, with a problem.

I have been driving this car for a couple of days now, and there is a very
loud vibration coming from the front of the car. The noise sounds
like something rubbing on one of the tires, and it goes away when I turn
right. It gets louder and higher in pitch the faster I go. It almost sounds like the transmission is not shifting, but it is shifting.

I do not see anything touching the tire.

The wheel bearings or hub assy's are good.

It seems to be speed related, because it continues to make the noise and vibrate when it is in neutral and coasting.

The only thing that stops it is turning the steering wheel to the right, even slightly to the right stops it.

Can anyone comment on what this might be?

Thanks,

Have you put it up on jack stands and spun the wheels to eliminate brakes, wheel bearing, knuckle joints, etc? Does shaking the assembly like British Nanny reveal any knocking or fouling? Howse the alignment? How about with the engine running and in gear, while on the stands?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:12 AM   #6
ah64dive
CF Newbie

I have had it up on jack stands and ran it, but it does not make the noise or vibrate when it is on jack stands. Matter of fact it sounds perfect, even turning the wheels with the wheels turning. I had it aligned a year ago, and you can release the steering wheel and it runs straight. Tire wear is even. I'm at a loss, unless it is one of the cv joints, or an output bearing, which is where I am starting to lean toward.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:31 AM   #7
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
dont understand the shaking by a British nanny -

Louise Woodward
Old 05-21-2007, 03:32 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
dont understand the shaking by a British nanny -
I guess he's probably refering to how our child-minders (nannies) here in the UK treat children, lol...at a guess

Edit: Wally beat me to it, lol.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 05-21-2007, 03:37 AM   #9
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
I have had it up on jack stands and ran it, but it does not make the noise or vibrate when it is on jack stands. Matter of fact it sounds perfect, even turning the wheels with the wheels turning. I had it aligned a year ago, and you can release the steering wheel and it runs straight. Tire wear is even. I'm at a loss, unless it is one of the cv joints, or an output bearing, which is where I am starting to lean toward.

How about things like engine mounts, shocks, hub rings, anti rattle clips, body cracks..... Swapped the front wheels?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:57 AM   #10
ah64dive
CF Newbie

I did change the wheels, with no effect, all suspension components seem okay. New struts put on a year ago, along with alignment.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:53 AM   #11
ah64dive
CF Newbie

Think I may have found the problem. The left outboard cv joint boot moves freely back and forth on the shaft, and it seems pretty dry inside. I will squirt some grease in there and put a new clamp on it. I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
ah64dive
CF Newbie

The problem was actually the driver side cv joint boot was rubbing the yoke assy. The boot apparently had broken free an stretched toward the engine, causing it to touch the yoke assy. Will be fixed with new boot. Thanks to all.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
The problem was actually the driver side cv joint boot was rubbing the yoke assy. The boot apparently had broken free an stretched toward the engine, causing it to touch the yoke assy. Will be fixed with new boot. Thanks to all.
No probs! Glad you figured it out eventully! Thanks for taking the time to let us know!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:23 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
If the CV joint is dry, it may be worn to the point is is a candidate to bereplaced - if you end up having to doing that, a rebuilt axle may be a better option.
I thought that would be the problem with mine, but it turned out that a re-grease and a cable tie was sufficient! Could be different in this case though I guess.