Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
portland5
CF Newbie

Question I would like to replace a v6 3.4 liter with a v6 3.8 liter in my 95 camaro.

"And the fourth-gen vehicles: The RS was special for 1996/97 and is a better performer because it includes the 3800 Series II V6, whereas the normal Camaro previously had the 3.4L 60-degree V6. It also had a more aggressive look with factory ground effects and special wheels."

I would like to get my regular 5 speed 95 camaro updated to more of an RS like performance. It has a normal 3.4 liter v6 and I would like it have a mechanic take it out and put in a 3.8 liter v6. How much would this cost and would I need to replace things like rear suspension or transmission.
portland5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland5
"And the fourth-gen vehicles: The RS was special for 1996/97 and is a better performer because it includes the 3800 Series II V6, whereas the normal Camaro previously had the 3.4L 60-degree V6. It also had a more aggressive look with factory ground effects and special wheels."

I would like to get my regular 5 speed 95 camaro updated to more of an RS like performance. It has a normal 3.4 liter v6 and I would like it have a mechanic take it out and put in a 3.8 liter v6. How much would this cost and would I need to replace things like rear suspension or transmission.
I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet you can keep your original tranny, and I don't know why you'd need to do any suspension work. I can't give you a price quote for the work either, but I will say that you'd probably be better off just selling your 95 and buying a 96 or 97. Lets say a motor swap would cost you $1000. So your out a grand, and then when you go to sell the car you'll lose more money, because the fact that it is a slightly more powerful engine won't overcome the fact that it's not the original engine. Let me also stress the fact that an engine swap will cost a lot of money, and gain a relatively small amount of performance.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote