Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
sean_hawn19
CF Newbie

94 ford tempo problem again?

I own a 94 ford tempo, 2.3L, automatic with a/c, 135000 km (I'm sure most know by now). Thank god I am getting rid of the car soon. Anyways, I have two more problems.

First : recently my check engine light has been coming on while driving. Not all the time, but the funny thing is that it doesn't stay on. The temperature gauge is normal, oil, trans, power steering, and brake fluid are all topped up. So is the anti-freeze. When it came on the first time I pulled over, shut off the car, check the engine, couldn't find anything. Turned the car on and the light was off. Every time since, the light would come on and when the car is shut off; even just for 10 seconds, and turn on the lights out. I know it's possible a sensor. I just thought that once the light comes on, it stays on till the computer is reset.

Would I be correct ? Could I still run for codes or does the light have to stay on ? What could cause this ?

Second : when I make sharp left turns in drive I can hear the wheel rubbing against the wheel well. Doesn't happen if I make a sharp right turns. More so, if I make a sharp left turns in reverse I don't get the rubbing. I just got the ball joints replaced, as well as an alignment. I would have thought that I would have found out if something else had to be replaced when I got the front end looked at. But the guy that did it, also said I didn't need an alignment after replacing the ball joints.....so.

What could cause this, the pitman arm, idler arm ? something else ? I know my rack has a leak in it, and my suspension is shoot in the front end.

Any help would help, yet again......
sean_hawn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
sean_hawn19
CF Newbie

can you change the bushing on the pitman arm without replacing the whole arm?
Old 06-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_hawn19
can you change the bushing on the pitman arm without replacing the whole arm?
Newsflash! The words "steering rack" and "pitman arm" don't belong in the same sentence... Or in the same steering system. Leave the troubleshooting to someone who at least knows what parts your car has.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #4
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_hawn19
........But the guy that did it, also said I didn't need an alignment after replacing the ball joints.....so.

Seems to be a common piece of advice.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:05 AM   #5
sean_hawn19
CF Newbie

First off, I'd like to say I am sorry. I don't know exact all the parts that are on my car. I know some. Anyway, can someone tell me all the parts that control my steering (from steering wheel to tires)?
Secondly the tires on my car are the right size, and I have no splash flaps. The rubbing only happens on the right, making a sharp left turn in drive. Doesn't happen in reverse or making sharp right turns in drive or reverse. Cause suspenson problem still cause this or worn bushings on something; and if so what ?
Lastly, is it normal for the check engine light to go on and off ? I thought they always still on, even if a fault happens only once and the problem fixed it's self.
Again I am sorry, I wasn't trying to make it seem like I knew what I was talking about.