Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2004, 08:48 PM   #1
cyke93
CF Newbie

New Car Dilema

At the end of Aug, early Sept 04, I will be buying a new car. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which car to get. I am on a budget because college tuition is a pain and eats up half my salary. I have four choices below and they all came up to around the same price range, 16k to 16700. I'm not asking a lot for my car but just the standard features, auto, power doors/windows/ ac/ keyless entry/ fuel economy, anything else is a pleasant bonus. My choices are:

Mazda3i
Pros: everything! this car looks the best and has most HP than any of the cars listed. When i get the package for power doors/windows i also get alloy wheels and i love how the radio controls are on the steering wheel. I'm choosing the 3i because it has better gas mileage.
Cons: Not sure how reliable they are, some people say its good other says it sucks and I'm really busy and strapped for cash that I can not be dealing with car problems, hence getting a new car. Closest mazda dealership, about 15 miles away.
Civic LX 4DR
Pros: reliability and piece of mind.
Cons: offers nothing outside the standard features i need. i like the two door better but living in NJ, insurance is high so I'll opt for the 4dr since both are around the same price.
Corolla LE
Pros: my family has had toyotas so i know first hand how dependable these cars are. Highest miles per gallon.
Cons: bland styling, offers nothing outside the standard features i ask for.
Lancer LS
Pros: lookd better than a corolla. includes a sunroof has new 10 year warranty.
Cons: no dealer around my area, even with warrenty, i dont know how reliable they would be. I'm bias because my uncle gave me a hooptie when i was 17, a precis which always gave me problems.

My heart is on the Mazda3i but reliabilty issues comes up, plus it is a new model so most reviews i've read have been good but only recently bought the car. So I hope you guys can help me out.
cyke93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:35 PM   #2
SuperJew
I like pie.

you will get absolutely no help at all until you introduce yourself.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:03 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Firstly, on a new car, reliabilty shouldn't be a problem as most manufacturers offer atleast a 3yr warentee for piece of mind. Then there's the cons you mention on all but the Mazda, I thought that extras outside the standard kit were mearly a bonus?....with that in mind, I'd suggest the Civic, although a little bland, Honda's are renound for their reliability and are usually gernerously equiped. Alternatively I'd chose the Mazda, it not only looks great, but has a great spec list and should also be reliable!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:31 PM   #4
SuperJew
I like pie.

I wouls go for the Mazda if i were in your shoes...but thats just me wanting to be different from everyone else, who has the Civics. and my vendetta against Civics.

Old 04-25-2004, 10:32 PM   #5
cyke93
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Firstly, on a new car, reliabilty shouldn't be a problem as most manufacturers offer atleast a 3yr warentee for piece of mind. Then there's the cons you mention on all but the Mazda, I thought that extras outside the standard kit were mearly a bonus?....with that in mind, I'd suggest the Civic, although a little bland, Honda's are renound for their reliability and are usually gernerously equiped. Alternatively I'd chose the Mazda, it not only looks great, but has a great spec list and should also be reliable!

I have no doubt that once i get the car i should have no problems with it, i was just thinking down the road.. 4-5 years from now. Abnother con which i forgot is that for Civics, there are so many out there. I will be another a typical asian male with a civic. But hey, give it some time i'm sure i'll see mazda3's everywhere.

I need to get some insurance quotes though because I live in NJ, insurance is almost if not more than the monthly payments. My record is clean and I have no points so I might i have to depend on insurance costs as an alternate factor. Once this semester is over, I can devout time to go out and get some tests drives
Old 04-25-2004, 10:36 PM   #6
cyke93
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
I wouls go for the Mazda if i were in your shoes...but thats just me wanting to be different from everyone else, who has the Civics. and my vendetta against Civics.

out of curiousity what is your gripe with civics?
Old 04-25-2004, 10:38 PM   #7
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyke93
out of curiousity what is your gripe with civics?

okay, here we go:

1) theyre indeniably boring
2) they're everywhere!!
3) i relate them to street racers, and relate street racers to acts of idiocy and ricers, which i despise.

that good?

Old 04-25-2004, 10:43 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
okay, here we go:

2) they're everywhere!!
3) i relate them to street racers, and relate street racers to acts of idiocy and ricers, which i despise.

that good?
I agree with most of that, however, over here Civics are more of a sensible persons car lol...From a reliability point of view though...surely ya cant go wrong with a Civic

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:45 PM   #9
cyke93
CF Newbie

Quote:
okay, here we go:

2) they're everywhere!!

that good?

i wouldn't call them boring, but u are right they are everywhere and who eosn't have someone on their block with a hooked up civic ?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:25 AM   #10
e.1999-BTNH
Banned

go wid tha mazda3 mannnnn.... and yeh, honda's are played out... u wouldnt want a car half tha world owns man.. whats so original bout that?
e.1999-BTNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 07:25 AM   #11
TheTooth
CF Newbie

the coolness of honda != the coolness of mazda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyke93
I have no doubt that once i get the car i should have no problems with it, i was just thinking down the road.. 4-5 years from now. Abnother con which i forgot is that for Civics, there are so many out there. I will be another a typical asian male with a civic. But hey, give it some time i'm sure i'll see mazda3's everywhere.

I need to get some insurance quotes though because I live in NJ, insurance is almost if not more than the monthly payments. My record is clean and I have no points so I might i have to depend on insurance costs as an alternate factor. Once this semester is over, I can devout time to go out and get some tests drives

My girl is getting the mazda3 s and let me tell you that after test driving the mazda3 s and the honda civic, the mazda won.
the mazda comes with a 4 year warranty as opposed the the civic's 3 year.
She end's up paying less in insurance
the horsepower is more for the 3: 160 as opposed to 127
and the civic's are boring cars, the mazda's are awesome.

anyhow, mazda3 s rocks... but the i... that's a different story. I would still recomend it as it is a better car in my opinon than the civic.
TheTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 03:15 AM   #12
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Mazda 3(i or s) whoops all the other cars you are considering.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:41 AM   #13
SkylineAmerica
CF Newbie

I'd say go for the Lancer.....I might be wrong(feel free to correct), but when you got a little bit of money you could build up the exterior to appear as an EVO VIII, right?
I don't personally care for Mazda. Don't ask me why. Irrational prejudice. I own a Honda Civic, so that's a good car and all. I just really like EVO's and Eclipses, but have never owned one, so I could live vicariously through you!

mB
SkylineAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:13 AM   #14
cyke93
CF Newbie

i actually have the money now to buy a car .. n right now its down to the Mazda 3 and Scion tC.

i test drove a civic ex, i dint feel at all special at it .. esp since it was an ex model, my impression of it was that it had better handling than my 03 sentra gxe but accereration was the same.

i test drove a Mazda3i and i really liked it .. handling .. accelerating.. the look .. an amazing car. i drove it on a particularly hot afternoon and so i had the a/c blasting and pick felt really good .. i cud only imagine with a/c off. after sometime thinking, i decided to go with a 3s (whats a $1000 more righ?) and dat has a bigger engine too.. oh man.. my brother has vehicle discount of 10 percent for any ford owned car.. including mazda. i'm just waiting to see if he co-signs if i am entitled to that as well.

theres also the tC. once the specs were released, my jaw dropped.. not only is a/c power win locks standard but 17' alloy wheels, ABS, panaramic moonroof, mp3 .. the list goes on and priced for about the same as my mazda 3s or civic ex. i havent gotten a chance to test drive but i saw it today and although the look isnt as hot as the mazda3, the ameneities more than makes up for it. my family is returnin customers to my local toyota scion dealer, we bought 4 cars from them in the past 3 years.but i hear that scions aren't up for price negotions and the price you see is the price you pay.. thats good but bad for someone with a tight budget like me.

so now im torn between these 2 cars.. sometime this weekend i am going to either a mazda or scion dealership .. hmm...
Old 06-30-2004, 06:04 AM   #15
littlledevil696
CF Newbie

Well there is the alternative of buying a well equiped BMW 3 series used for this price but if you have your mind set on a new car then i'd go for the mazda but i'd rather have the BMW, i mean come on, its a BMW.
littlledevil696 is offline   Reply With Quote