Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
sleeper79
CF Newbie

88 chevy celebrity No start

Hello I'm currently working on an 88 chevy celebrity 2.5 4cyl TBI that just flat out wont start. Here's the run down,
was driven to work by wife's sister no prob, then after work would kick over and fire one round and die, towed home opened it up and found that the injector was dumping fuel. Replaced the fuel reg, same prob. then replaced injector, worked for a lil then had a no start. pulled a plug and saw it was getting a poor spark at best. Replaced plugs and wires, is now getting good spark(nice blue) but still will not run. I am at my wits end with this thing and would really appreate any help otrying to figfure this thing out.
Thanks Mike
sleeper79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper79
Hello I'm currently working on an 88 chevy celebrity 2.5 4cyl TBI that just flat out wont start. Here's the run down,
was driven to work by wife's sister no prob, then after work would kick over and fire one round and die, towed home opened it up and found that the injector was dumping fuel. Replaced the fuel reg, same prob. then replaced injector, worked for a lil then had a no start. pulled a plug and saw it was getting a poor spark at best. Replaced plugs and wires, is now getting good spark(nice blue) but still will not run. I am at my wits end with this thing and would really appreate any help otrying to figfure this thing out.
Thanks Mike
And what DTC's were retrieved form the ECM prior to performing any of these "repairs"? Which ones led you to the conclusion that the regulator/injector/secondary ignition was at fault?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
sleeper79
CF Newbie

DTC's

there were no codes, no check engine light accept when it was stalling.
I just cant think of anything else to check to try to get the darn thing to start.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
there were no codes, no check engine light accept when it was stalling.
I just cant think of anything else to check to try to get the darn thing to start.
It's quite possible for an OBD-I vehicle to have a no start condition and still store no codes. On the other hand, you only need a few things for an engine to start and run... Air, fuel and ignition, at the appropriate time and in the appropriate amount. If it's a genuine no start, finding the basic problem should take about as long as typing your first post on the subject. It may take a bit longer to find the root cause of that problem.

On the other hand, it appears that you're doing a good job of replacing parts unrelated to the no start condition. You could keep replacing parts until you accidently fix the car. That should be easy and cheap. Good luck.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 06-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
sleeper79
CF Newbie

Quote:
On the other hand, it appears that you're doing a good job of replacing parts unrelated to the no start condition. You could keep replacing parts until you accidently fix the car. That should be easy and cheap. Good luck.
Fuel pressure reg,BAD=Dumping fuel replaced
Injector,also BAD=stuck open replaced
Plugs and wires, weak spark replaced
so lets see i have the correct ammount of fuel at the right time because i replaced those items, good spark at the right time because i replaced the problem.
oh and thanks for the sarcasim
Old 06-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Fuel pressure reg,BAD=Dumping fuel replaced
Injector,also BAD=stuck open replaced
Plugs and wires, weak spark replaced
so lets see i have the correct ammount of fuel at the right time because i replaced those items, good spark at the right time because i replaced the problem.
oh and thanks for the sarcasim
Sorry, but I can assure you that I have more knowledge and experience than you. The likelyhood of a fuel pressure regulator AND the injector going bad at the same time are essentially nil. Furthermore, if the regulator was the cause of the "dumping fuel", then why didn't it fix that problem? Remember, you had to replace the injector to apparently cure that. Read your post. So much for your credibility.

Just because you replaced parts doesn't mean you have the correct anything. How exactly would replacing the plugs and wires take care of a timing problem if there is something wrong with the EST system? Answer. It won't. That's why those of us who have a clue do something called diagnostics BEFORE replacing parts. After all, according to you since you've replaced those parts you should have the correct amount of fuel and ignition at the right time. If you had those things, the car would run. So much for what you think.

I'm also willing to bet, based on your writings, that you have no idea what DTC's where present prior to working on this car... And like 99.9% of the shadetrees out there a) don't know how to reteive them, b) wouldn't know what to do with them if you did and c) probably disconnected the battery first thing because "that'll usually fix'em). Good job.

When you really want to learn and gain knowledge, let me know. Until then, go back to beating on things with your hammer. Have a nice day.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
sleeper79
CF Newbie

Now, I realize that you do have more experience than i do that is why I am here. The reason i replaced the reg first was because it was cheeper and in very bad shape. And no i have no idea what "DTC's" which i belive basicly translates to trouble codes were present I am unable to find OBD1 readers and further more dont have the cash to waste on one car that i dont own.
As for the EST huh???
Now I would like to learn and get some help so that i am not driving my wife's sister to and from work all the time.
Sorry about any crap i gave you it's nasty hot here and this car is a piece of sh!t....

Last edited by sleeper79 : 06-11-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
sleeper79
CF Newbie

Your Fee

And what would you diagnostic fee be????