Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
buffalo2wheeler
CF Newbie

Question Saturn S2 won't start

My 2001 Saturn S2 4-door has 85,000 miles on it. Normally runs fine, but last night, I made a trip with it, came home and a few minutes later tried to start it up again to move it, but it wouldn't start.

There is a clicking coming from the fuses under the dashboard (passenger's side), and all the guages and the clock/radio flash on/off.
Gear shifter won't move out of park.
No noise at all from under the hood.

I can't guess what's wrong with it.

Checked a couple obvious fuses, but maybe it's one of the relays, which seem to be doing the clicking (fuel pump I think). I don't think it is OUT of gas, but just before I got home, the orange FUEL LOW warning came on.

Could it be the fuel pump or the fuel filter? Is this a repair one can do at home?
buffalo2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
buffalo2wheeler
CF Newbie

thanks

I think you're right, it must be something elect.

I replaced the battery, and it jump-started 3 times, but now nothing, no clicks, no flashing guages, nothing. Although the clock radio is keeping time, I'm guessing it has its own backup battery for the clock.
buffalo2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:34 AM   #3
carls47807
CF Freak

there's an electrical switch that prevents you from shifting from park without pressing the brake.

check the battery cables going into the relay box on the drivers side fender, and check your connections at the starter (check for 12 V at the starter if you can).

good luck.
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by chizel
there is probably just a bad spot in the winding of your starter, and the added heat of a warm (link deleted) puts excess strain on it. i would replace the starter if i was you. hope this helps.
good guess - how did you reach the conclusion the starter needed to be replaced?
Good grief Gertrude. On this forum you're supposed to be a moderator. In real life you're supposed to be a mechanical engineer. Yet you're not sharp enough to identify spam when it slaps you in the face. If anyone ever wonders why this forum is falling apart, this is just another perfect example.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Last edited by tbaxleyjr : 07-05-2007 at 12:19 PM.
vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
II am supposed to be a mod but cant I have a little fun too - especially when I an interested in a poster's line of thinking?
Amazing. Simply amazing. I didn't think it possible but you really ARE that dense. The poster has no "line of thinking" except to think that maybe you'll click on the link and spend some money and their website.

It's spam, not a serious post.

How much "fun" can it be to ask a question of someone who will never come back to respond, or even read it for that matter?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
chizel
CF Newbie

oh is that what you think of "spam"? excuse me.. its just that i have found that site coz i'm in needing of parts which are likely of the same link of what i've been looking for and i had put a link on it without any intention to make SPAM on this site!

Last edited by chizel : 07-06-2007 at 11:46 AM.
chizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
chizel
CF Newbie

Quote:
you still did not answer the question I asked a few days ago. We would prefer steering discussions toward helping the person diagnose the problem then fixing it one time. I would have asked a few more questions to verify the starter is shot before saying buy a starter.

My issue with just throwing parts @ a car is this: A starter for this car runs between $130 and $200 exchange + the time involved to replace it (or another $150 - $200 labor @ the dealer or repair shop) - if it is a good guess, everyone is happy. If it is not, we've spent close to $400 and the car still does not work.

If someone asked for where to find a starter, I would not say much about the link. We typically frown on unsolicited advertisements, otherwise this would revert from a discussion forum to a swap and shop.

One of the most troublesome issues is knowing when to help a person do their own diagnostics or know when to suggest going to a repair shop. If a person verified the car had fuel then had every thing go on and off, do you start them down the troubleshooting line not knowing if they had tools, digital multi meters, enough specifications and wiring diagrams along with enough technical skills to know what to do or do you suggest they go to a repair shop? The last thing I want to do is to get someone hurt or cause $2K in damage or un-necessary expense because they dont know what they are doing/

=====

that was happened to my car, i had the same trouble with him before, that's why i said that, and that was told by my mechanic. and so i did!
Old 07-11-2007, 03:25 AM   #8
chizel
CF Newbie

precisely!