Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
TexTruck
CF Newbie

2001 Ford Windstar

The van is the sport model 3.8 litre. I brought it to the garage about 3 weeks ago with what seemed like a misfire. The check engine light came on and went out so I figured there'd be a code stored. (There should be right?) However the guy at the garage says nothing is stored. So I had him change the plugs and wires since it needed to be done anyhow. Everything seemed fine then this past weekend bango same problem but it comes and goes. The check engine light comes on and goes out again. I bring it to another garage as the previous crowd gave me a bad vibe. So they tell me it has a history code of a misfire. But that's all it seems to running fine now and to just wait. Can someone tell me what the general list of things to do is once you know it's a misfire and if the info I was given is even sensible?
TexTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTruck
The van is the sport model 3.8 litre. I brought it to the garage about 3 weeks ago with what seemed like a misfire. The check engine light came on and went out so I figured there'd be a code stored. (There should be right?) However the guy at the garage says nothing is stored. So I had him change the plugs and wires since it needed to be done anyhow. Everything seemed fine then this past weekend bango same problem but it comes and goes. The check engine light comes on and goes out again. I bring it to another garage as the previous crowd gave me a bad vibe. So they tell me it has a history code of a misfire. But that's all it seems to running fine now and to just wait. Can someone tell me what the general list of things to do is once you know it's a misfire and if the info I was given is even sensible?

check compression on the cylinder that is misfiring. there are other things you can check like spark (coil, plugs, wires).
Old 06-20-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
TexTruck
CF Newbie

Quote:
check compression on the cylinder that is misfiring. there are other things you can check like spark (coil, plugs, wires).

Thanks Glagon!
The plugs and wires are new. I'll have to check when I go pick it up which cylinder it's in. If its on the engine side facing rear it'll suck as I'll have to bring it to garage again cause I cannot get at them. So considering it's not a plugs or wires issue as it happened before and after I had them changed. What are the ramifications if I have low compression? If the compression is fine? Is the only other possibility the coil? Or could it be something else like (I am just guessing here) the catylatic convertor?
TexTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
gwynn156
CF Newbie

misfires and codes

I have had several Windstars 1996 & 2002 both 3.8L . These cars are noted for intake manifold leaks. Both times I had similar problems as you. I changed the lower intake manifold gaskets and the problem went away!!
gwynn156 is offline   Reply With Quote