Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2007, 01:18 AM   #1
TrulyClueless
CF Newbie

How long will your car last WITHOUT oil change?

I just went to my friendly local quicky oil change shop for a oil change today. I was told I can't get a oil change because apparently the oil drain pan was rusted out and the sludge from old oil help keep it seal. I was also told that the replacement for the oil drain pan would cost about $1,000, but they didn't offer to repair it. Now, I love my old crappy car but I don't love it enough to part with my hard earned money.

So the only reasonable course to take was to drive it to the ground.

I have few questions before undertaking this noble endeavor.

1. How long would my car last without changing oil ( I last changed about 9 months/3,000 miles ago)?
2. Is it safe to not change oil?(will the car blow up?)
3. are there any alternates to not changing oil/repair?

Thanks in advance for any helps!

p.s. for those curious, I drove 95 Ford Aerostar.
TrulyClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrulyClueless
I just went to my friendly local quicky oil change shop for a oil change today. I was told I can't get a oil change because apparently the oil drain pan was rusted out and the sludge from old oil help keep it seal. I was also told that the replacement for the oil drain pan would cost about $1,000, but they didn't offer to repair it. Now, I love my old crappy car but I don't love it enough to part with my hard earned money.

So the only reasonable course to take was to drive it to the ground.

I have few questions before undertaking this noble endeavor.

1. How long would my car last without changing oil ( I last changed about 9 months/3,000 miles ago)?
2. Is it safe to not change oil?(will the car blow up?)
3. are there any alternates to not changing oil/repair?

Thanks in advance for any helps!

p.s. for those curious, I drove 95 Ford Aerostar.

You could probably make some sort of small hand pump and stick it where you put the oil in and get most of your old oil out and just refill it with fresh oil.

How long will the car last if you don't change the oil? No idea. Eventually the old oil will break down and won't lube the engine properly,leading to overheating.

I've never done the job, but $1000 for an oil pan seems really high. Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't that just bolt to the bottom of the block?

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
adamc44
CF Freak

i dont understand why you cant change your oil? are you saying that its caked in there so much that its blocking the drain hole, or that you have a hole in the pan or what?

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

the oil pans on fords (like this aeroscrap) rust out and what they're afraid of (i think) is either twisting the pan by trying to take the drain plug out and creating a new leak or that the drain plug won't seal if they take it out and try to put it back in... try another oil change place first, b/c they might have a different opinion and/or a different price.

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
You could probably make some sort of small hand pump and stick it where you put the oil in and get most of your old oil out and just refill it with fresh oil.

How long will the car last if you don't change the oil? No idea. Eventually the old oil will break down and won't lube the engine properly,leading to overheating.

I've never done the job, but $1000 for an oil pan seems really high. Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't that just bolt to the bottom of the block?

Some oil pan jobs require moving a LOT of stuff, like subframes etc. The pan itself wouldn't be that expensive, but the labour would.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
adamc44
CF Freak

if their afraid theyll twist it if they try to remove it, mabye they could put a jack under the pan to put some pressure on it so they could turn the bolt. if the bolt wont tighten back up, could they rethread the hole and get a slightly bigger bolt? i just dont think theirs enough information on the problem to try and help.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamc44
if their afraid theyll twist it if they try to remove it, mabye they could put a jack under the pan to put some pressure on it so they could turn the bolt. if the bolt wont tighten back up, could they rethread the hole and get a slightly bigger bolt? i just dont think theirs enough information on the problem to try and help.
I think the issue is not that the sump itself will twist under pressure, but that the bolt/plug will twist itself out of the sump.....in that I mean taking a chunk with it, rather than snapping in the whole or rounding off like you might imagine.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:18 AM   #8
Lothar
CF Newbie

The lube guy says the sludge is sealing the pan. This makes it sound as though there may be small punctures in the pan. Maybe road damage, or the metal just got so thin, rusting from the outside, that rust pits are starting to make their way through, the way they will on a gas tank.

If the pan is structurally sound enough to remove and replace the drain plug, but disturbing the sludge will unplug other holes (which admittedly would be weird), there are a couple of uber-cheapskate stopgaps that might save the oilpan for you. You might be able to drain the oil to keep it from leaking through the punctures while you work, clean the outside of the pan around the holes very well with steel wool, degreaser, and fine sandpaper, then paste on a layer of J-B weld over the holes.

Laugh if you must, but I have plugged split radiator vanes and leaky diesel tanks with the stuff. It'll hold your oil.

All the real mechanics are having aneurisms as they read this.

OR, if you hate baby seals and spotted owls, you could let the car develop a pretty good oil leak, then just top it off regularly and change the filter now an d then. This may be illegal in some jurisdictions. It would be n interesting way to prolong the process of driving the car into the ground.
Lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:41 AM   #9
newyorker
MXman

they should try to use a air gun..once that is done, they can re-thread the oil pan to a bigger guage, and give you a new plug...of course this is all given that the plug will come out in the first place..try to hit it with some PB Blaster before they try and torque it out
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:45 AM   #10
newyorker
MXman

almost forgot..depending where the location of ur filter is, you can remove that and drain MOST of the oil that way...like maybe 1/2 to 3/4...then just change it every 2k miles instead of 3...cant believe i didnt think of it before

Old 07-03-2007, 04:42 AM   #11
dodger65

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
almost forgot..depending where the location of ur filter is, you can remove that and drain MOST of the oil that way...like maybe 1/2 to 3/4...then just change it every 2k miles instead of 3...cant believe i didnt think of it before

you are an idiot... don't talk to people anymore...

Old 07-03-2007, 05:10 AM   #12
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
you are an idiot... don't talk to people anymore...
its a better alternative than your suggestion..."yea if you turn the bolt too hard the pan will fall off because of rust"...so you mean to tell me that all 10 (i think) bolts on the oil pan just decided to crap out during 9 months?? and it certainly beats driving the car without an oil change at all

Old 07-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #13
dodger65

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
its a better alternative than your suggestion..."yea if you turn the bolt too hard the pan will fall off because of rust"...so you mean to tell me that all 10 (i think) bolts on the oil pan just decided to crap out during 9 months?? and it certainly beats driving the car without an oil change at all

go back and read what i posted and then take a shot at comprehending it... go ahead, i'll wait. and then go read something----no... go touch a wrench.. then take something apart... then gain some experience pertaining to automobiles that can't be gained by reading "car and driver" or "ricer weekly". then go look at an aerostar pan... and then come on back and admit what a ****ing fool you are for even opening your mouth and making ridiculous suggestions about something that you know absolutely nothing about. you can tell us about how smart it would be to use an impact gun on a rust weakened and perforated oil pan and then you can tell us even more about how you can magically drain most of the oil out of the engine through an orifice that is higher than the oil sump and only fed oil under pressure... once again, you have no ****ing clue what you're talking about, so go back to bullshitting about underglows, fart cans, and altezzas and stop giving wrong information.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

On a less violent note, Dodger is correct, although he didn't need me to say that, lol. I understand that you said "depending on where the filter is..." or something to that effect, but even if the filter was lower than the sump (I've yet to see one that is, as it would be knocked off more than likely), once the excess oil is out of the filter, nothing more would come out because it's circulated from pressure when the engine is running.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #15
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
go back and read what i posted and then take a shot at comprehending it... go ahead, i'll wait. and then go read something----no... go touch a wrench.. then take something apart... then gain some experience pertaining to automobiles that can't be gained by reading "car and driver" or "ricer weekly". then go look at an aerostar pan... and then come on back and admit what a ****ing fool you are for even opening your mouth and making ridiculous suggestions about something that you know absolutely nothing about. you can tell us about how smart it would be to use an impact gun on a rust weakened and perforated oil pan and then you can tell us even more about how you can magically drain most of the oil out of the engine through an orifice that is higher than the oil sump and only fed oil under pressure... once again, you have no ****ing clue what you're talking about, so go back to bullshitting about underglows, fart cans, and altezzas and stop giving wrong information.
**** you faggot. not every asshole with a civic has a riced out piece of sh*t. at least my sh*t isnt busted and i dont look like a redneck rollin around in my POS lifted jeep

Last edited by tbaxleyjr : 07-07-2007 at 07:03 PM.