Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2007, 02:58 AM   #46
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

If he can't make a 2v 4.6 run...he should close shop immediately...it's not hard or expensive to build a 490-550rwhp 2v.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:05 AM   #47
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

N/A are you crazy.
And even the guys on the mustang forums will tell you 500rwhp rfeliably is expensive and hard and requires alot of boost.

Still dont believe me about the 7.70s and someone said he had got it down to a 7.40 though, dont know if it was on the pray on the 7.40 or not though
Old 08-03-2007, 05:24 AM   #48
Sick88Tbird

I wasn't talking about building a N/A 500hp 2v...I was talking about a turbo/centrifugal....even KB's on a 2v will get up near 500rwhp with gobs of tire shredding low end grunt.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #49
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Well 500hp on a 2V requires a build motor, not cheap or easy.

NO comment on the Z runnin 7.70s or all the other bolt on, full weight LS1s running 11s
Old 08-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #50
Sick88Tbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Well 500hp on a 2V requires a build motor, not cheap or easy.

NO comment on the Z runnin 7.70s or all the other bolt on, full weight LS1s running 11s

No, 500hp on a 2v does NOT require a built motor, it requires a supercharger or turbo if that's your thing, around 10-12lbs of boots, full length headers, off-road h or x pipe, minimum of 42lb/hr injectors, aftermarket MAF, and preferably cams along with a GOOD tune...that's not a "built motor".

NO, I don't have any comments on the Z running 7.70's...we don't have anything like that rolling around my way...just like they don't have any silly fast cobra's down his way.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:56 PM   #51
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

I wa just reading up on a 499rwhp 2V, with full bolt on and a turbo.
It was built by a very rebuiltable mod motor builder. And even on a great tune the Shop owner said it was just a matter of time before it popped and the owner was aware and said hell I just wanted to do the top before the bottom. After talking to him he doesnt think it will lat long at all either, hes prepared for a stronger bottom end soon.

There was a post about it on Mustangforums.com
Old 08-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #52
Sick88Tbird

That's probably one of the few mustang oriented forums that I'm not on...a stock 4.6 2v will handle that power fine, as long as it's not abused...at that power level, the survival of the engine depends on the driver. I personally know a guy with 518rwhp on his '02 GT with an intercooled pro-charger, full exhaust and cams and a bullit intake...he's had the car set up that way for 2yrs now...he races it regularly and drives it every weekend...he's got a very conservative tune on it and doesn't race every honda civic when he's on the streets.

It's when you've got the car running against an aerodynamic wall through 5th gear when a-holes lose a motor and then wonder what happened. Also, too much timing in the tune up will cause you to lose a motor. Shops don't like building 500rwhp 2v engines for customers because most people will absolutely abuse that power.

But looking over that guys car, his times are impressive for his small parts list...however, how long would you want to drive a car without overdrive and 4.10 gears?

Also, I came across an '03 Cobra that's had a 4R70W slid in place of the factory T-56 trans and he's got a 4800 stall convertor, a KB blower and exhaust...runs 10.60's in the quarter. With 3.73 gears and overdrive it's a highway friendly car too.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:48 AM   #53
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird

But looking over that guys car, his times are impressive for his small parts list...however, how long would you want to drive a car without overdrive and 4.10 gears?

Also, I came across an '03 Cobra that's had a 4R70W slid in place of the factory T-56 trans and he's got a 4800 stall convertor, a KB blower and exhaust...runs 10.60's in the quarter. With 3.73 gears and overdrive it's a highway friendly car too.

The car should still have overdrive though, its a 4l60E, And after talkin to him and seein it run I am seriously considering building a car much like his even though I am a serious manual proponent. Automatic are just so much easier on the rear.

I do love cobras but it seems they are developing supra syndrome. Very few of them make good numbers and still run good ETs.

LIke the old saying, "How are a 400 HP supra and 800 HP Supra alike? They both run 12s"

Dont get me wrong there are some that can still make a stron pass down the strip, but there are so many more that make great numbers and cant do anything but a 60 or higher roll.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #54
Sick88Tbird

I thought I read somewhere that he had a turbo-400 in that car...maybe it was someone else's. If you're a chevy guy and want to go quick, I'd say go for it.

A lot of cobra's do have the supra syndrome...the IRS in that car is known for not planting well and rowing a 6-speed in a potentially 10-sec car is not a task many can do well...lol. But, with a live axle and an automatic they will fly...but not too many people are doing that...a lot of guys just want a big power number....friggin mustang guys...lol.

The powdered metal connecting rods in the 2v are the main cause for concern when you get up towards the 500hp mark...I just read an article, with a '98 GT that had CNC ported heads, cams and a 2.2L KB running 10lbs, it made 601hp...the stock short block is probably not long for this world but it did make plenty of dyno runs on it's journey from 500hp to the 600hp mark.

I also found an article from MM&FF...stock 2v with a centrifugal that made 350hp with a full stock exhaust, so if that's what you were talking about at the beginning of the thread, then I could agree with that.

The later f-body's have an extremely well set-up rear suspension too. Thumbs up to GM on that.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #55
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Yah I really like the etup on the F-bodys I just wish it cam with a 9" or 12 Boltor Dana 60, hell Id take a 8.8".

But no stick u with the 10 bolt that you can break on the street with street tires.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #56
Sick88Tbird

Quote:
Yah I really like the etup on the F-bodys I just wish it cam with a 9" or 12 Boltor Dana 60, hell Id take a 8.8".

But no stick u with the 10 bolt that you can break on the street with street tires.

I think a Dana 60 in an F-body would be a little excessive...lol. The 8.8 can stand for some upgrades too when you start looking at shooting for 11's.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:15 AM   #57
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:

Amen to that. Pretty much the #1 reason I won't be doing serious upgrades untill I'm done with school.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #58
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
I think a Dana 60 in an F-body would be a little excessive...lol. The 8.8 can stand for some upgrades too when you start looking at shooting for 11's.

Well we call the T56 the rear killer.

And the Dana S60 is the newest rear for our cars. They are also currently the cheapest and some say they are just as strong if not stronger than the 9".

Its what I plan on doing if I ever do a rear.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #59
Sick88Tbird

Quote:
Well we call the T56 the rear killer.

And the Dana S60 is the newest rear for our cars. They are also currently the cheapest and some say they are just as strong if not stronger than the 9".

Its what I plan on doing if I ever do a rear.

LOL, yeah powershifting a T56 will send a rear to an early grave...good ol' chevy guys turning to Ford or Mopar for driveline solutions...lol.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #60
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

I considered doin a 14 bolt but never really tried.